Difference between update.zip, nandroid restore, ROM.tgz, and sbf

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by billygalbreath, Mar 9, 2010.

1. billygalbreath

billygalbreath Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure I get the jist of it, but want confirmation.

Update.zip allows you to update system files (like installing/upgrading a custom rom) without damaging any user data/apps/settings.

Nandroid restore wipes all user data while installing a custom rom. Its basically a backup of the dev's device.

Rom.tgz... well, tbh, idk wth this is or does.

Sbf allows you to install roms while wiping all data, even group 42 which is where the motorola M is stored for pre boot animation image.

Someone care to confirm, correct, and/or fill in the missing pieces for me?

2. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My answers are in red.

3. hughesjr

hughesjr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    See inline comments above.

4. billygalbreath

billygalbreath Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    So... an update.zip has the potential to wipe out installed apps and custom user settings?

I've used all methods mentioned above except the rom.tgz (and being a debian sid user since 2002, I know what .tgz is). My main reason for asking is I'm kinda tired of losing all my apps and settings everytime I update my phone and I'm looking for a way to keep said things during upgrades. Ultimate Droid has been releasing updates faster than I log onto my pc, and I like to stay on the cutting edge (hence why I'm a Sid user).

It doesn't take me long to restore all my apps, accounts, contacts, alarms, icons, wallpapers, etc etc etc... maybe 30 minutes tops. Its just a pain in the arse, you know..

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No, an update.zip won't uninstall anything really.

6. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    update.zip is the most versatile way to do it. Works on both available recoveries

nandroid is the type of recovery android phones use, it is typically mis-spoken as being an sprecovery backup of a ROM. While both recoveries technically use nandroid, they are not interchangeable

don't really know the definition of thr rom.tgz files but they appear to work like the update.zip files but are sprecovery specific

.sbf files are motorola's specific file type and the only way to flash EVERYTHING. From root to recovery to splash image, everything. It uses RSD Lite to apply to your phone

7. Golfcrank

Golfcrank New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. I think I understand it. I have unlocked my Atrix 4G Telstra Model MB860 and flashed CM7 using CWM. I used CWM to backup beforehand (I think or maybe that was not possible). I have a backup in clockworkmod folder called Telstra_2.2_rom.My question is: can I just restore the CWM backup and then my phone is back to stock Froyo except it is still unlocked. Thanks.

Search tags for this page

android sbf

android sbf definition
on a phone what does update.zip mean
recovery sbf file
sbf meaning
sbf phone definition
sbf rom
tgz na zip rom
tgz to zip android
what is sbf android