Difference between OTA GB and the leaked rooted version...

Reaction score
So I don't get what the difference is between the new ota GB that you can either get thru ota or manually install, and the version that was leaked a couple weeks ago, except for the fact that you can root the leaked version. So what's the difference and is there gonna be a further difference between this OTA and the official one, since verizon is claiming this isn't their official OTA GB Update..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

timelord

Reaction score
There really isn't much different. Motorola/verizon monitor the reported issues with the leaked version and patch some things, then release an "official Version"

Verizon thus far isn't admitting to pushing out any official ota's. But since the file can be installed through stock recovery means that it does come from motorola and not from a developer or anything.

Perhaps this is another test leak, or perhaps Motorola/verizon is slowly starting to push out the official ota's in order ease activity on their servers.???

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Well I was just at my folks place and my stepdad just got a new droid x as well (he's 53 and its funny watching him learning to use it. Especially watching him use the multitouch KB, even on a PC KB, he's a 1 finger typer lol) and so his is stock, and up to date, so I tried updating the phone to see if the GB OTA would go thru but its saying there are no updates, so is the OTA not available to everyone yet, cause I was under the impression that as long as you were on the stock rom and updated to 340, that you could get the OTA. I haven't tried it on mine yet cause im using rubix focused 2.0.1, and I think I rather use the leaked version so I can root it and install liberty at least, why I wait for the new GB version to be able to flash roms, ya kno. So anyways, my point is, why is my dads stock 340 DX not getting the OTA?

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
Well I was just at my folks place and my stepdad just got a new droid x as well (he's 53 and its funny watching him learning to use it. Especially watching him use the multitouch KB, even on a PC KB, he's a 1 finger typer lol) and so his is stock, and up to date, so I tried updating the phone to see if the GB OTA would go thru but its saying there are no updates, so is the OTA not available to everyone yet, cause I was under the impression that as long as you were on the stock rom and updated to 340, that you could get the OTA. I haven't tried it on mine yet cause im using rubix focused 2.0.1, and I think I rather use the leaked version so I can root it and install liberty at least, why I wait for the new GB version to be able to flash roms, ya kno. So anyways, my point is, why is my dads stock 340 DX not getting the OTA?

The update that we are hearing about was pushed to a few people and since VZW is denying they are pushing it, that either means it was an accident or they are lying. I doubt they are lying about since they tend to make a big release statement saying it is available. But this new update isnt very much different other than a new baseband and a new bootloader which doesnt seem to a be problem anymore since it is already rooted i guess. This update probably isnt the final version yet since they are denying they are sending it out. So i say wait it out until you see that the official update is sent OTA.

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Well for me im not gonna download the OTA until they have at least a couple DX ROMs working and stable on it. But for like my stepdads DX, I will get it for him and just test it out on his phone. And speaking of the bootloader. I had this dream the other night that the Ice Cream OS came out and it came with an unlocked bootloader, it was a good dream indeed lol

Btw, you mentioned it has a different baseband, what is that and what's its purpose. And also, is it possible that they could give us DX users 4G lte, with a software-update or is it more then a software thing for a phone to be able to use LTE

Edit - one more question, the DX has N-WiFi right. Cause I have a N enable router now and I my PS3 uses it and I just got a new wireless adapter for my Xbox360 that uses N as well (and I wonder if my Wii is N enabled) and i was pretty sure the DX was N-WiFi capable as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Well for me im not gonna download the OTA until they have at least a couple DX ROMs working and stable on it. But for like my stepdads DX, I will get it for him and just test it out on his phone. And speaking of the bootloader. I had this dream the other night that the Ice Cream OS came out and it came with an unlocked bootloader, it was a good dream indeed lol

Btw, you mentioned it has a different baseband, what is that and what's its purpose. And also, is it possible that they could give us DX users 4G lte, with a software-update or is it more then a software thing for a phone to be able to use LTE

Edit - one more question, the DX has N-WiFi right. Cause I have a N enable router now and I my PS3 uses it and I just got a new wireless adapter for my Xbox360 that uses N as well (and I wonder if my Wii is N enabled) and i was pretty sure the DX was N-WiFi capable as well

I think the baseband does something to improve the phones radio performance, I might be wrong on that though.

And no, the droid x cannot get 4g lte. That's a hardware issue.

The droid x does have wireless n, but I think its limited to the 2.4ghz band only. It has some kind of limitation. Your router is wireless n capable with a/b/g backwards compatibility. The ps3 has a wireless g card inside it. The 360 I guess has a new wireless adapter for n. The wii I'm 90% certain has wireless g.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
I was pretty sure the new PS3 has N, but I'm prolly wrong, I've never read anything that confirmed it. I just got my PS3 brand new back in novemeber. Pisses me off that they just now finally came out with an Xbox that has built in WiFi, I've had my elite for 3yrs and I had to drop 80$ twice on wireless adapters, once for the original white one that was b/g and last month I bought the newest black one with b/g/n and I like it but I rather have it built in ya kno. I didn't think the Wii would have it tho but I hoped for a second lol anyways thanks for the help and quick answers. I will have to google the baseband info and find out more about it

Rocko

Reaction score
I don't believe they got it as an update. Its just a way of covering their a**. It still has bugs like the original leak. It's not ready for mass release.

SeanRinVA

Reaction score
P3Droid and CellZealot both say this isn't an official OTA as some of the Modified dates are 04/11/11 - and that there's no way they could have gotten it through VZW testing that quickly. CZ thinks an engineer at Moto may have pushed it by accident.

The differences - from what I understand, the Baseband (Radio) is much improved, and the 3g icon in the notification bar is different. I haven't heard much else yet.

P3Droid did say last night that he's got Root on it, so perhaps TBH will put it out in a couple of days.

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score

Ill tackle your questions one by one. The unlocked bootloader isnt really that great of news when it is unlocked. It will be weeks before we see anything(ROM/Custom Kernel/etc) done to the phone.

The baseband change is basically kinda like changing a radio station or tuning it to get better reception not sure if its any better since i havent heard anything yet.

As for 4G LTE, we wont see that on these phones because its a hardware thing and i doubt they are going to upgrade this phones to that.

As for wireless N, this phone can receive wifi N signals. If you are not sure if your router is using its N capabilities then it most likely isnt...fully. Thats a different topic all together and if you want help for that feel free to PM me to see if i can help you change that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watch the language. I don't care if the censor catches it or not, you swear, you will get an infraction. This is a family friendly forum.

If you don't know what the rules are click the link on my signature.

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
Watch the language. I don't care if the censor catches it or not, you swear, you will get an infraction. This is a family friendly forum.

If you don't know what the rules are click the link on my signature.

Was that for me? I dont rememeber posting a bad word in my post above yours.

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score

Ill tackle your questions one by one. The unlocked bootloader isnt really that great of news when it is unlocked. It will be weeks before we see anything(ROM/Custom Kernel/etc) done to the phone.

The baseband change is basically kinda like changing a radio station or tuning it to get better reception not sure if its any better since i havent heard anything yet.

As for 4G LTE, we wont see that on these phones because its a hardware thing and i doubt they are going to upgrade this phones to that.

As for wireless N, this phone can receive wifi N signals. If you are not sure if your router is using its N capabilities then it most likely isnt...fully. Thats a different topic all together and if you want help for that feel free to PM me to see if i can help you change that.

I know my router is running N, I said I wasn't sure about wether or not the PS3 had wireless-N

androidgeek

Reaction score
I don't believe they got it as an update. Its just a way of covering their a**. It still has bugs like the original leak. It's not ready for mass release.

Is there a list of known bugs yet? For either of them. I'm running leaked rooted and I would like to compare the bug list if possible.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk