1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Difference between MiFi and express card - First Smartphone

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by are we there yet, Oct 28, 2010.

1. are we there yet

are we there yet New Member

Ready for a smartphone (chose Droid X).

Please explain difference between a MiFi and express card.

I know you will find this funny, however this past summer I found myself in quite the perdicament. I work from home (not the problem) however while the kids were home during the summer we spent a lot of time at the neighborhood pool . . . however there is NO wifi available so I couldn't work while they played. There's only so many different moves off the diving board that I can fake liking. :)

I'm ready to buy the X tomorrow, but I don't know whether to buy MiFi or express card????

Secondly . . . once the MiFi - express card is settled, do I need 150mb or unlimited?

Thanks so much!
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I had an express card for my older Mac and PC. It worked will but required a rather large slot to connect. The newer cards do work with USB but I'm not sure if they fit micro. What do the folks at VZW recommend?
  3. are we there yet

I have a slot available on my laptop for express card if that helps
  4. fox_dye

fox_dye New Member

No matter which one you get I would go with unlimited data because the 150 MB is 15 bucks per 150 and unlimited is 30 bucks. So if you think there is a remote chance you will go over 150 MB then just get unlimited because it would be stupid to pay 30 bucks for 300 MB when you can have unlimited for the same price.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....
  5. are we there yet

thanks . . . I just don't know what the definition of an express card is or what a MiFi is
  6. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I believe the express card is physically placed into a computer. It access a VZW tower and provides 3G service to the connected device. Since it must be physically installed it can only support one device at a time. The mifi does not physically connect. It is very similar to a home or office router. It connects to a VZW tower and can deliver 3G to multiple devices (four or five) at once.
  7. z96Cobra

z96Cobra Member

Unless Verizon has recently changed their data plans for Broadband, there is no unlimited data for Mifi, express cards, USB modems. It is $60 (or maybe $50) for a max of 5 GB per month. I have a Mifi and IMO it's a better deal than express cards/USB modems. The Mifi can connect to any computer with a USB port or it can be used as a wireless hotspot.
  8. thexxoffspring

thexxoffspring New Member

get a smartphone and tether it. unlimited data + 3g = win!
  9. takeshi

takeshi New Member

It really depends on what the OP needs/wants. If it's just to get an express card slot-equipped laptop on the internet then the express card is less hassle as it just plugs into the laptop, doesn't require any additional cables, chargers, etc.

If the OP does have multiple devices to connect or wants to keep options open then the MiFi is a better choice.
  10. xmguy

xmguy New Member

You CAN do that. My thought on this. DON'T do via Tether what you can't or would not do on a smartphone. Keep it as honest as you can.
Search tags for this page

difference between mifi and usb modem

difference from usb modem and mifi

mifi card vs express card

what is the difference between modem and mifi