Diff. Droid X Key Board?

immobile

Reaction score
Has anyone found a good, user friendly alternative key board for the Droid X?
One preferably that gets out of the way when it should.
Thanks!

Hobn

Reaction score
You can just press the back key. Do you use multi touch or swype?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Or hold down the menu key to pop it up and down.

All the keyboards behave about the same as far as when they pop up, get in the way, etc. I believe this is because the keyboard app has no control of when it is called. That is done by the user interface. Without rooting and loading another ROM you're stuck with these idiosyncrasies, at least until the next OS update.

As far as keyboard alternatives, I'm growing fond of Swiftkey for most of my text entry. I'll sometimes go back to Swype if I'm entering a lot of conversation style text. What I like best is that you can press and hold on the text entry field to change your keyboard on the fly.

Last edited:

harrellj

Reaction score
If you're using the multitouch keyboard, try swiping from the top of the keyboard straight down. If it behaves like the stock keyboard on the D1 (which is a big if), that should make the keyboard go away on its own. I haven't found the equivalent in Skype yet, unfortunately.

droidbionic

Reaction score
i like Droid 1 keyboard better

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
immobile

immobile

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their helpful input.
As far as the Menu + up & down, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks!
Swift Key. ? I just un installed it; with thoughts of going back to it. Thanks!
Sype. ? I did try that some time ago only to find I got along with my Ex better... Thanks though.
Even though the Droid X has the most user friendly Vert. Keyboard, I did find the Droid 1, 2 and even the Incredible easier due to the physical keyboard. Which is a given.
The issue/problem; (which is not the end of the world), is, like now often have to hit the Back key to drop down the keyboard so I can see what I've written whether in Portrait or Landscape.
So that's my problem and I'm hopefully NOT sticking to it!
Thanks again for the feedback!

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
The issue/problem; (which is not the end of the world), is, like now often have to hit the Back key to drop down the keyboard so I can see what I've written whether in Portrait or Landscape.

Not that I can do anything about it, but what apps are doing this to you? I might want to avoid them.

Most of the apps I have scroll down nicely as I enter text. I only have to pop the keyboard up and down to get at hidden text fields and buttons.

OP
immobile

immobile

Reaction score
Fix

Or hold down the menu key to pop it up and down.

All the keyboards behave about the same as far as when they pop up, get in the way, etc. I believe this is because the keyboard app has no control of when it is called. That is done by the user interface. Without rooting and loading another ROM you're stuck with these idiosyncrasies, at least until the next OS update.

As far as keyboard alternatives, I'm growing fond of Swiftkey for most of my text entry. I'll sometimes go back to Swype if I'm entering a lot of conversation style text. What I like best is that you can press and hold on the text entry field to change your keyboard on the fly.

*This solution, for the most part fixed 99% of my problems. Thanks !
BTW, I just got my 336 page Droid X For Dummies which so far I see is VERY detailed and informative. amazon.com approx. $ 12.00.
This Author who, as far as I know writes all these "For Dummies" books. And it's not even his job..:mad:

Last edited:

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
You are welcome. I can't take much credit though. I learned it the same place you did, here.

OP
immobile

immobile

Reaction score
Key boards

Not that I can do anything about it, but what apps are doing this to you? I might want to avoid them.

Most of the apps I have scroll down nicely as I enter text. I only have to pop the keyboard up and down to get at hidden text fields and buttons.[/QUOTE

Swiftkey, which was my favorite, Better Keyboard, Smart Keyboard, ShareKeyboard and I think BiggerKeyboard.
I'm a picky B**** am I ? :blink:

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
. . .Swiftkey, which was my favorite, Better Keyboard, Smart Keyboard, ShareKeyboard and I think BiggerKeyboard. . .

I meant which apps were you using the keyboard in. Or did you actually see different behavior with different keyboards? That would surprise me, unless the size of the keyboard had something to do with it. Maybe the apps don't understand oversized keyboards.

OP
immobile

immobile

Reaction score
I liked the original as well for the keyboard, until some of the keys became unresponsive. The Droid 2 was much better, keyboard wise. 2.2 helped there as well.
The Incredible was nice and small, with a great screen, but the trackball was a failure in my opinion.
So thats why I'm finally happy w/ the DX; all that I didn't have to pay for, just play with...:rockon:

OP
immobile

immobile

Reaction score
Oh,

. . .Swiftkey, which was my favorite, Better Keyboard, Smart Keyboard, ShareKeyboard and I think BiggerKeyboard. . .

I meant which apps were you using the keyboard in. Or did you actually see different behavior with different keyboards? That would surprise me, unless the size of the keyboard had something to do with it. Maybe the apps don't understand oversized keyboards.

Oh, mainly if I was writing this on the Droid instead of the Netbook.
And writing or responding to e-mails.
Mainly anything that brought me down to were I couldn't see what I just wrote.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Weird. It shouldn't do that. I've tested all my keyboards and several programs, including the DroidForum app and they all scroll nicely as I enter text. The last lines in the active text window are always visible (unless I scroll them myself). In landscape that might only be two lines, unfortunately.