diff d2g roms..whats the point...

chrisl20

Reaction score
So, I don't mean to sound like an unappreciative a-hole...cuz im extreamly glad globals r gettin love now...but, I don't really see a difference in the three roms that r out now, 4 counting fission....they are all 'lightweight, dieted, "aosp" roms' that really don't have any difference between them....isn't the point of putting a new rom on your phone to allow customization to your phone ONTOP of making it faster/better battery life, roms for the droid 2 were all very diversified and had a plethora of options tailored to make your phone your own....with the global..so far... ..it just seems like flashing a different rom...is just a moot point..

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
So, I don't mean to sound like an unappreciative a-hole...cuz im extreamly glad globals r gettin love now...but, I don't really see a difference in the three roms that r out now, 4 counting fission....they are all 'lightweight, dieted, "aosp" roms' that really don't have any difference between them....isn't the point of putting a new rom on your phone to allow customization to your phone ONTOP of making it faster/better battery life, roms for the droid 2 were all very diversified and had a plethora of options tailored to make your phone your own....with the global..so far... ..it just seems like flashing a different rom...is just a moot point..

Not really. Some roms are simply designed be lightweight but maintain the original source like all the D2G roms. AOSP roms are quite a bit different because there not hacked at to be slimmed down, they are slimmed down. AOSP Roms are built using vanilla android source code which comes with only the basic apps, no bloatware and no custom overlay UIs. From there they may have performance tweaks, and tons of customization options like Liberty, or they remain AOSP with just performance tweaks and the Devs choice of pre-installed apps kind of like the D2G roms except for the devs had to hack at them to remove blur, the bloatware, and all the other "junk."

I do agree it seems as though all the D2G ROMs are all diet roms. It is certainly the devs choice to do this(diet) style of rom, but I personally enjoy the more fancy roms like you do.

All I can say is be patient, sooner or latter I am sure we will get a Liberty type rom.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The reason why all the different roms are not getting the wow factor is we should be getting the gingerbread leak soon no reason to go through hours of editing framework an adding pizzaz an wow factors for that reason bc with every new build of a os the framworks sometime carry alot or just enough where it is a pain to port it over an just easier to start from scratch

WoZtAsTiC Rom Long Live The GrD Dev Team

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I plan on doing alot of work to mine still. However, I have a lot of things going on at school (2 class days of high school left) and a lot of work to do in those 2 days. I mostly just got the base ready and out there so far.

Sent from an Angelic D2G

kickyindahead

Reaction score
I plan on doing alot of work to mine still. However, I have a lot of things going on at school (2 class days of high school left) and a lot of work to do in those 2 days. I mostly just got the base ready and out there so far.

Sent from an Angelic D2G

Yup .. and thanks o angel i can finally run the IC theme on my phone where previously i couldnt for some damn reason!

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
The reason why all the different roms are not getting the wow factor is we should be getting the gingerbread leak soon no reason to go through hours of editing framework an adding pizzaz an wow factors for that reason bc with every new build of a os the framworks sometime carry alot or just enough where it is a pain to port it over an just easier to start from scratch

WoZtAsTiC Rom Long Live The GrD Dev Team
Understandable. :)

Sent from an Angelic D2G
Well I read the to do list from your rom and it just didnt make it sound like you planned to expand beyond a base rom, but thats good news. Cant wait for a native ROM that is comparable, to some degree, to Liberty.

Fenuxx

Vermilion
Developer
Reaction score
The only real thing I saw that Liberty has that the existing (Fission, Angel, Fenom, etc) don't have is the toolbox. Other than that, they're essentially the same. The stock ROM, with Blur, stripped of the bloat, and in some cases, replaced with AOSP parts.

Neither the D2G, D2, or DX can ever have a fully AOSP ROM until/if the bootloader is cracked and we can get access to the kernel.

Every ROM until then will be some sort of "diet" ROM. Liberty included.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The only real thing I saw that Liberty has that the existing (Fission, Angel, Fenom, etc) don't have is the toolbox. Other than that, they're essentially the same. The stock ROM, with Blur, stripped of the bloat, and in some cases, replaced with AOSP parts.

Neither the D2G, D2, or DX can ever have a fully AOSP ROM until/if the bootloader is cracked and we can get access to the kernel.

Every ROM until then will be some sort of "diet" ROM. Liberty included.

That sums it up better than I ever could.

Also, mine wont ever be a liberty. I simply don't have the time, knowledge, or server space to host a toolbox on. There's also no reason to. True, its kind of nice however it only is if its updated regularly, which Liberty's isn't. It has the original things in it and that's it last I checked, however jrummy's server has alot of other things (there's a ton of boot logo's on it that aren't in the toolbox and that's just one example).

Sent from an Angelic D2G

OP
C

chrisl20

Reaction score
Yah, I don't care about it being a true aosp rom, or anything like that...and, liberty gets a+ 1 for the additional abilities IN the toolbox,...pulldown txt editor, oc script, other tweaks...and I realize that making these all(I realize I didn't write ALL of the mods n tweaks available, but if uve ran lib, u know what's up) work for the global will be a problem..or a drawn out process@ least..right now, I really want the ability to truely change my d2g pulldown, root tools added it as a tweak, but, if u try it, its a fail... ...glad to see all the rom devs posting tho...insight as to 'why' is always nice...but, u all really r guna wait for gb?...that seems like it'll b a 6 month wait for us at least...especially w dx gettin pushd back....hell, ill probly have a new phone by then

Masamichi7

Reaction score
This may be slightly off topic, but I don't get why the D2 and DX roms all have transparent pulldown bar abilities, and the true AOSP unlock slider, and the D2G can't. It would be nice to see an actual full ROM that adds to the phone, rather than just be 'dieted' and reduce Blur framework and battery usage.
Personally, AngelRom seems to be the fastest and most stable, but there's a long way to go before being a full ROM. Idk, maybe that's more a rant than anything

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

keolawills

Reaction score
This may be slightly off topic, but I don't get why the D2 and DX roms all have transparent pulldown bar abilities, and the true AOSP unlock slider, and the D2G can't. It would be nice to see an actual full ROM that adds to the phone, rather than just be 'dieted' and reduce Blur framework and battery usage.
Personally, AngelRom seems to be the fastest and most stable, but there's a long way to go before being a full ROM. Idk, maybe that's more a rant than anything

Angelrom is still beta, and its the first truely stable rom I've ran on my d2g. Yes liberty is great, but not fully functional on the d2g. In time I know we will see the full customization options we want, and between metamorph, fission themes, and add ons from frm and liberty toolbox, pretty much everything can still be changed, except the pulldown text.

my ANGEL blacked out

satoru

Reaction score
Dev's do not have access to the kernel of the d2g. Until then we will always have so called "diet roms". Also until gb is released no one wants to spend time on a project that will be scraped. Fenom is best so far IMO if it gets an update like the dev says it will be awesome. Something to look foward to until gb is leaked/released.

OP
C

chrisl20

Reaction score
Ill probly be dead before gb is released....if not, ill for sure have a new phone by then...my d2g has been giving me nothin but problems as of recent

gsdreams

Reaction score
Ill probly be dead before gb is released....if not, ill for sure have a new phone by then...my d2g has been giving me nothin but problems as of recent

I'm fairly certain that GB will be out this summer for the D2, DX, DX2, and D2G. Yes it is speculation, but I suspect the Bionic will be released with GB and it is due out this summer, giving an opportuniy to update other phones.

Besides, it has already been proven they are working on it for a least three of those phones (X2 hasn't been out long enough for a leak).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

satoru

Reaction score

99.9% of the time be it game system, handheld, laptop, cell phone or whatever it is always user error. The other .1% its bad hardware, lol.