Diet Droid "slimmed" D2G ROM

Ultim8gamr

Reaction score
I'm sure you've all been waiting on us to get the base ROM out to you, and we appreciate your patience with the technical difficulties that we have been experiencing. I took a look at the post Wozzy put up most recently about the base ROM that included all the features that they cut out.
This Diet Droid "slimmed" ROM is based off of Bury Boi's stock deodexed 2.4.330 with 2.4.29 contact apps. I have removed all bloat along with the widget apks. I haven't spent too much time on it, but I wanted to get it out for you all as a clean basic platform. It does still have blur as I do like the way it ties in Messaging and the Yahoo mail (don't worry this will receive some slimming as well). Social messaging app has been removed. Mediasync.apk was removed but media share is still showing up in app drawer. Maps and a few other Google addons that can be found in Market were removed, so that you can get the most up to date version. Backup assistant is gone, I was tired of getting connection errors from it when I wake up in mornings. I did not touch the framework.
If anyone knows the NFS shift apk please enlighten me as I would like to take it out. It's not too big a deal because at least it can be uninstalled.
I added the bootanimation that Wozzy added to his release from LFY aka LIQUID FROZEN YOUGURT. I plan to go back to the stock Google android animation in future releases.

I have not had time to figure out what else can further be removed. I will begin removing and testing over the next few days.

Install like any other zip file or ROM. Save .zip to SD card. Erase Cache and Data then install from .zip in recovery. I have tested this file and the downloaded file on my phone and can verify that they both work.:icon_ banana:
The first time the bootanimation goes on forever, be patient
DL link: D2G.GRD.slimmed.Ultim8gamr.4.12.11.zip

Disclaimer: Always make a nandroid before hand. I nor any other team get-r-done member claim no responsibility in the case that you screw something up. It's you're phone, it's you're problem. The weak at heart need not apply.

With that said, enjoy and check back soon. I will try to get an update with where I'm at for you in the near future with an even more streamlined stock ROM. You don't drop 30lbs over night and neither does this ROM.

Oh, and Cheers! :beer2: it's five O'clock somewhere

edit: in the past few minutes I have noticed a possible issue with Wifi connection cutting out. A reboot seemed to resolve issue. Will look into this and report back

Last edited:

STPedi

Reaction score
Keep with it! Downloaded and ready to go. Will flash in the morning

rusty815

Reaction score
installed it, and it ran well, its basically how i have my stock rom set up, i froze most of the bloatware to where there was as little blur as possible, the only things i had left from motorola were the contact app, the alarm, calender, dialer, and gallery. everything else was frozen and/or replaced by better apps. good job though, you basically removed everything i would have from the stock rom, i would love to see where you can take it from here.

Grog

Reaction score
Can you restore from the android or would you have to sbf?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Great work Bro thanks for cleaning up my mess lol...one day i ill be on your level lol

OP
U

Ultim8gamr

Reaction score
Can you restore from the android or would you have to sbf?

You can nandroid after installing this through cwm in bootstrap recovery if you want to go back.

Yeah rusty right now im not too concerned about the ota since I can sbf or nandroid back if needed so I did this rather than freeze. I might get titanium to test what can be frozen to let things still run smoothly without having to delete file and flash each time. Or ill be using adb to do this. I might try and get in contact with you if youre willing to freeze things and report back for me with what else can be removed.

Sent from my dieting DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

kickyindahead

Reaction score
curious... will this rom stop the ota or do i need to keep my back up of stock... im guessing it will since blockbuster and the rest of that crap tied to system files isnt there on this... correct?

OP
U

Ultim8gamr

Reaction score
curious... will this rom stop the ota or do i need to keep my back up of stock... im guessing it will since blockbuster and the rest of that crap tied to system files isnt there on this... correct?
My understanding is that OTA will need all the original files to allow update so this would stop OTA.. But it's only a simple SBF or nandroid back.

In a few minutes I will have a more slimmed version out that has Blur dialer/contacts and sms app gone as well. I have found that the GO Dev team has some great replacement apps in the market that shouldn't take much getting used to. So this is the route I'm heading for now. will update soon as I have class at 1:30.
edit: lost radio while tweaking things, hang in there

Last edited:

kickyindahead

Reaction score
My understanding is that OTA will need all the original files to allow update so this would stop OTA.. But it's only a simple SBF or nandroid back.

In a few minutes I will have a more slimmed version out that has Blur dialer/contacts and sms app gone as well. I have found that the GO Dev team has some great replacement apps in the market that shouldn't take much getting used to. So this is the route I'm heading for now. will update soon as I have class at 1:30.

ok... thats exactly what i was thinking.. not that i plan on an ota anytime soon nor am i sure i want one from all the scary things ive heard about the soon to come gb. blur dialer/sms/what not doesnt bother me.. ive just used whatever comes on liberty.. and when i was using fission i just used the stock stuff as well. but i will have to look into the replacements... and i have to say im very impressed with how slimmed down this was.. wow!!!

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Looking forward to testing this out when I get home in an hr. If you need any testing before releases pm me. That also goes if you need any help with it.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

OP
U

Ultim8gamr

Reaction score
Looking forward to testing this out when I get home in an hr. If you need any testing before releases pm me. That also goes if you need any help with it.
I'll remember that man. The way I'm sortof doing this is give everyone an equal crack at it. As long as I'm slimming. Once I get down to the very basic platform, I will begin sending out to a select few first. I'll let you know what comes up.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'll remember that man. The way I'm sortof doing this is give everyone an equal crack at it. As long as I'm slimming. Once I get down to the very basic platform, I will begin sending out to a select few first. I'll let you know what comes up.

Alright cool.

Also, would you mind if I used this as a base for what I'm working on? Gonna start removing some of the blur and replacing it with aosp. Would rather not have to pull everything out if I can just use what someone else has already done. I had started building straight aosp but after seeing what problems Bikedude had (ie no data) thinking of doing like he did and starting with blur then replacing.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

OP
U

Ultim8gamr

Reaction score
Diet Droid slimming down with v5

Lost radio solved! I removed BlurPhone and that was what caused it, so that's back in this batch. I have installed this zip from other versions of the slimmed without wiping data/cache and did not experience any problems with it. Not sure if it will need to have cache/data wiped coming from another ROM or from stock, My guess is yes but I haven't tested that yet. I will restore a nandroid later this afternoon when classes are over and see if I can get into Diet Droid without having to wipe cache/data from my non-deodexed stock nandroid.

DL link (tested & works):
D2G.GRD.slimmed.Ultim8gamr.4.13.11.v5.zip

Sorry I'm releasing this as soon as I'm finished so I haven't had time to update the list with what I've removed. I will try and to make a list this afternoon when I'm done with classes.

Next I plan to try and do away with the baseband update, so future releases may need to be starting out with either one of the current diet droid releases or stock 2.4.330 Moto

Disclaimer: You know the drill, If something happens its your problem. I nor anyone else will be responsible for your device. Flash at your own risk. Peace
:greendroid:
Gettin'~R~Done!!

Last edited:
OP
U

Ultim8gamr

Reaction score
13th go for it. Android is meant to be shared. I'm doing the same with this file from BuryBoi. After I get this down to a suitable base I'm going to start moving some AOSP stuff over as well. At this point I'm getting close, most of the addon crap is gone. I'm open for collaboration if you want.