Didn't like the iPhone 4s but the Droid 3 or 4... hmmm

jrjuday

Reaction score
I am really happy with my D3, but 4G is not available where I am, yet. Haven't seen the enlighten, so can't help ya there...

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Incorrect, google doesnt push updates to phone, the manufacture does. The manufacturer is Samsung, and they are TERRIBLE with updates, ask anyone.

Just get a feature phone, it will save you hassle and time being you plan on using it for its intended purposes and nothing else really. Dont listen to all the hype, most of the time you will be let down. Go with something you like and that fits your lifestyle and what you plan on using the device for.

Sorry, you're incorrect. Nexus devices only receive updates from Google, that's why Google releases one per year to showcase their new operating system, hence they handle the updates directly.

Google Nexus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Well it doesn't look like the Droid 4 is coming out anytime soon (Feb. 2?), but like I said, between the poor battery life of these 4G phones maybe I should look for something else. I usually buy Motorola, great quality products and after looking at a lot of different Samsung's I'm not impressed to say the least. I've spent hours reviewing threads and posts on this site and in my ignorance of rooting and roms and the amount of problems out there with Android, I'm totally confused. Should I still consider the Droid 3 or is the LG Enlighten a viable choice with my meager smartphone needs?

The Droid 3 is more of the tried and true phone in my eyes. I've had mine since it came out over the summer, and love it. When I use it as just a phone, it works great, never had any issues with reception or anything. So my vote is definitely with the D3 :)

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Well it doesn't look like the Droid 4 is coming out anytime soon (Feb. 2?), but like I said, between the poor battery life of these 4G phones maybe I should look for something else. I usually buy Motorola, great quality products and after looking at a lot of different Samsung's I'm not impressed to say the least. I've spent hours reviewing threads and posts on this site and in my ignorance of rooting and roms and the amount of problems out there with Android, I'm totally confused. Should I still consider the Droid 3 or is the LG Enlighten a viable choice with my meager smartphone needs?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I'm wondering about something. Smatphones are finicky. They malfunction in ways that feature phones don't, if even to a slight degree. Often, it's possible to correct problems yourself, but sometimes the solution takes a lot of cerebral wrassling to find.

As someone who wants a smartphone but doesn't really want/need the full-blown experience, do you think you'll feel like you have enough incentive to deal with issues when they arise? I'm not saying you can't, but that's not the point. Most people COULD solve smartphone tech issues if they really wanted to, but most people just don't want to be bothered.

I guess I'm wondering if you'll really want to deal with the tech issues.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
AZClimber

AZClimber

Reaction score
Well I'm always game for learning something new and don't have issues with problem solving and doing the research needed to accomplish what I need to. Spending time on this site has peeked my interest in Android phones - Not sure I can deal with another basic phone, time to move on! After reading all the pros and cons of the D3 I'm pretty sure it's what I'm looking for - removable battery, probably better battery life than most of the 4G's out there, quality build, nice qwerty, no 4G, excellent sound quality. I guess the only thing I'd be missing out of is ICS.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I don't believe anyone has answered an original question of the OP's...Yes you should be able to adjust font size through settings>accessibility. If there are no baked-in options for this (and I'm sure this applies to iOS too), there is probably an app that allows you to or even plugs itself into Androids accessibility options.

OP
AZClimber

AZClimber

Reaction score
Nope you can not increase the texting font size (unless you root - and that ridiculous "Zoom Mode" basically sucks). After searching the internet I must have came across several hundred posts over the past several years, complaining that you can't change the font size in Android, so all of us who are over forty we're SOL (sucks to be old)!

Last edited:

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
I personally use the stock blur txting on the D3, but its possible that if you use a 3rd Party app (ie: handcent, go sms) that they may have an option to enlarge the font. I'll download them tomorrow and see if they have that option. Not 100% sure atm.

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone

AHiLdesigns

Reaction score
I can confirm that the GoSMS app does indeed allow for super gi-nor-massive font sizes. ;P

Its the only one I've used, so sadly I can't remark on the others. Always thought it was odd the Droids didn't cater for this at stock.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
AZClimber

AZClimber

Reaction score
Strange that I can increase all the font sizes (especially for TEXT) on all my previous phones (non-Android) and Android has yet to have this feature. So it looks like I'm going to pass on the Droid 3 and possibly Droid 4 because of this - Hate to do it but the iPhone 4S (which you can change the font size), is now looking like a better contender for my needs which is being able to read the screen - jeez, what a concept eh?

GreenSnow

Reaction score
I personally use the stock blur txting on the D3, but its possible that if you use a 3rd Party app (ie: handcent, go sms) that they may have an option to enlarge the font. I'll download them tomorrow and see if they have that option. Not 100% sure atm.

Yes, this is true, I use "Handcent SMS" as my primary TXT APP, it is a very customizable app, the text size can be set to be very large

Jocojr

Reaction score
Yes, this is true, I use "Handcent SMS" as my primary TXT APP, it is a very customizable app, the text size can be set to be very large

I agree....... I also use Handcent and love the very large text font plus it is more customable( sounds funny).

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Nope you can not increase the texting font size (unless you root - and that ridiculous "Zoom Mode" basically sucks). After searching the internet I must have came across several hundred posts over the past several years, complaining that you can't change the font size in Android, so all of us who are over forty we're SOL (sucks to be old)!

I think you can, even without root. You need to be in the conversation screen (inside of the MMS application), then hit menu and resize text.

Last edited:

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
I think you can, even without root. You need to be in the conversation screen, then hit menu and resize text.

Yup just tried that, I can confirm you can inscrease text size in stock blur messaging. You just have to be in the conversation screen. Good catch John :)

GreenSnow

Reaction score
Yup just tried that, I can confirm you can inscrease text size in stock blur messaging. You just have to be in the conversation screen. Good catch John :)

Yes this is true, in Handcent you can make it quite a bit bigger if the largest setting is still not big enough for you