1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Didn't like the iPhone 4s but the Droid 3 or 4... hmmm

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by AZClimber, Dec 6, 2011.

1. AZClimber

AZClimber New Member

My brother has had an iPhone since the beginning and now has a 4s with Siri and has been bugging me to get one. Well I'm a Mac user from the late 80's and have only used Macs. So I'm playing around with his new 4s and I actually hate it - which for me is a first with any Mac product. The text message font was also too small - Can you enlarge it on the Droid 3? Well I like my phones with a QWERTY, no getting around it (can't teach an old dog new tricks or something like that).

So since I'm up for a new phone (actually two since I have a Verizon Family Plan), I checked out a Droid 3. I know, kinda late in the game but it fit my hand like a glove, the screen was bigger, more room overall and the keyboard, well... was nice! Since my cell phone needs are rather simple and I just primarily use a phone to make calls, check email and text (and all the basic phones just basically suck) would the Droid 3 be a good place to start my intro into the smartphone world with (or hold out till Thursday for the Droid 4)?

Oh and does the Droid 3 have Gorilla Glass, seems like after reading a hundred threads on this Forum and talking to a Verizon Rep I couldn't get a clear answer?

I know this subject has been beat to death, but help an old guy out - Thanks!

PS Hate being a noob in a forum!
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

I'm quite sure it does, if its a motorola android phone, there's a good bet it has gorilla glass.

Look up the face off video on youtube: Iphone 4S vs Droid Razr. A reviewer compares siri on iphone with the Voice functions on the Droid RAZR and they both function exactly the same for just about everything you would normally use it for, but siri talks back in that mechanical voice.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  3. doogald

doogald Member

4. jrjuday

jrjuday New Member

I love my D3, but if you are in an 4G area, you might want to wait for the D4. I agree on the iphone, my wife has an iphone 4, and the screen would be too hard for me to see, since I use my phone outdoors a lot. If you don't like the D4, the D3 will still be available.
  5. AZClimber

AZClimber New Member

Well from what I hear 4G eats batteries for breakfast - plus the D4 will have a non removable battery - Hmmm.... To D3 or D4, that is the question?

I'm coming from a Casio G'ZOne Brigade which can take a lick'n but is basically a POS - Great keyboard though. My brother dropped his older iPhone 4 and the thing nearly exploded when it hit the ground from 3 feet. At least with the D3 or D4 it has Gorilla Glass and the casing seems pretty durable which is something that is important to me. I know, an Otter Box would help but geez those cases are big. When I went to the Verizon store last weekend the salesman had an Otter Box case on his RAZR, wholly crap, made the RAZR the size of an iPad.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  6. spacecasespiff

spacecasespiff New Member

I would get the Samsung nexus its going to be the best phone ever. Sorry I can not support moto phones anymore due to the large amount of Droid phones being released. Even though I have a d3 I'm eagerly waiting for my upgrade to get the nexus,

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums
  7. AZClimber

AZClimber New Member

Yep but the best phone ever is going to be replaced by the next best phone ever - I still think my Motorola Star Tac was the best phone EVER!
  8. spunker88

spunker88 New Member

Kind off of topic, but I was just reading about how the Bionic isn't selling very well recently and that is why the price is being dropped. Its no surprise its not selling, the market is over saturated. Anybody looking at a Motorola phone w/o a keyboard and a 4.3" screen would get the Razr over the Bionic.
  9. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

If you take out the fact of all the issues the phone is having yes it is going to be an awesome phone, otherwise it is going to be another pre-released phone that has issues straight out of the box and wont be fixed for a while (Samsung is notorious for this...) . Read around about it, its not all hyped up to be what you think. The HTC rezound has similar specs as the nexus without the bugs and it was released a month ago so whats that say about its current hardware??

As far as D3 vs D4 goes... If you want a droid razr with a keyboard go for the D4. If you want a more original 'droid' without 4g and a better keyboard go with the D3. Both have similar spec but the razr has a little better/faster chipset (omap4430 vs omap4460) And like you said, there is no removable battery which I can see being very frustrating since I'm a modder and i need to pull my battery quite often. Its all really personal preference in your case, since you will be using your phone AS A PHONE lol.. The speed difference wont be noticeable to you IMO and they both run android (and blur) so the features are identical. The D4 will probably ship with androids current version 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) while the droid 3 is currently on android 2.3.X (gingerbread) but will be updated to 4.0 hopefully in the near future.
  10. doogald

doogald Member

Actually, the Razr uses the 4430 as well, clocked at 1.2 GHz. The initial reports that the Razr had the 4460 were mistaken.
  11. AZClimber

AZClimber New Member

I know, what a strange concept - using a phone as a phone! What can I say LOL, I work out of my house and I'm surrounded by computers. I should probably just get another basic phone, save me the $30 a month in Data fees but Verizon has done a good job of making everyone jump on the smartphone bandwagon with their horrible selection of basic phones.
  12. LT*

LT* New Member

I would think that the D3 would be your smartest choice. You don't seem to need the 4g speeds, and it sounds like you're around wifi enough if you do periodically need the speed. You'll get much better battery life with the D3, and as you say, it fits you like a glove. You can always wait a day and go try the D4 for yourself to see how that fits you. The D3 will also be much cheaper now too.
  13. Yonnor

Yonnor I r Teh Greetest

No matter which one you get, keep in mind VZW has a 14 day return policy, i believe. So you could get the D3, try it out for a week, and if you don't like it swap it for the D4, or vice versa. Although i think you pay like a $25 restocking fee or something.

Also they may have extended the return policy for the holidays, not 100% sure though.

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone
  14. AZClimber

AZClimber New Member

I was actually thinking of doing that, but what happens if the D3 is not quite what I wanted and bring it back for the D4 and find out it's worse than the D3 - LOL to SOL
  15. Yonnor

Yonnor I r Teh Greetest

I'm not sure if theres a limit to how many times you can do an exchange. Worst comes to worst, you throw a fit to a rep. I mean you are gonna be paying for the phone still even with an upgrade, so why cant you test drive as many as you want since you'll be stuck with it for 2 years

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone
  16. AZClimber

AZClimber New Member

I agree but Verizon only allows one exchange in that 14 days now.
  17. Yonnor

Yonnor I r Teh Greetest

Well crap :/ I suppose just try and get some indepth hands on time with the store unit, or find a friend that has one. I personally love my D3, mines rooted though, which idk if you'll pursue that route b/c as you said you planned on just using it as a phone. lol

This is a hard call though, both phones are amazing spec wise and feature wise. :popped out:
  18. AZClimber

AZClimber New Member

My main concern is that since I text a lot and have old eyes can you adjust the font size for texting (and receiving texts) as well as the incoming phone call numbers - it would be nice to actually see the number (ones that aren't in my contact list) without having to put my reading glasses on.
  19. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member Premium Member

For the holiday season through the beginning of January I believe the return policy has been extended, hasn't it?

Anyways, I'm personally waiting for the Nexus, but if I had to pick between the 3 or 4 I'd wait for the Droid 4. I love the Droid 3, but it honestly shouldn't have even been released IMO. But oh well, I love the Dev community it has.. and I have a feeling the Droid 4 won't get it as good in that aspect. If you don't have 4G in your area, it won't kill your battery so I wouldn't worry about that. Or I think you can toggle it off if you do have it but don't need it, considering the fact that you're considering the Droid 3 anyway.
  20. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

If you want a keyboard wait for the d4. I could not in good conscience recommend the d3 to anyone looking for a phone right now. Too many other good phones right on the horizon.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Search tags for this page

droid x2 3or 4 g