Did Verizon kill WiFi on my Maxx?

Raven1155

Reaction score
I think I've figured out why my WiFi hasn't worked properly since I upgraded to OTA ICS... Having the WiFi drop out all the time forces me to use the 4G, which they can charge me for!

Seriously, can anyone suggest a way to get my WiFi functioning as smoothly, consistently and fast as it did when I first got the Maxx (with the prior operating system, which I've forgotten the name of)?

Any and all help appreciated!

djspy

Reaction score
did you do a factory data reset? It is highly recomended ou do so after the OTA update.

cleave

Reaction score
Raven1155 said:
I think I've figured out why my WiFi hasn't worked properly since I upgraded to OTA ICS... Having the WiFi drop out all the time forces me to use the 4G, which they can charge me for!

Seriously, can anyone suggest a way to get my WiFi functioning as smoothly, consistently and fast as it did when I first got the Maxx (with the prior operating system, which I've forgotten the name of)?

Any and all help appreciated!

I just went through this with another poster. Read this post and try everything it says :
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...maxx-drops-wifi-after-30-min-no-activity.html

OP
R

Raven1155

Reaction score
I'm trying to install the .215 as I type this...

I'm SUPER leery of the Factory reset, as I have some apps (PimliCal, PocketBible and possibly others) that I didn't get from Google Play/Android Market! However, I do want to ask one thing- If I'm successful loading the .215, will a Factory Reset take me back to .211 and, if not, how do I get back to kosher if there's an OTA update coming?

Thanks in advance!

sully0400

Reaction score
Save the apps on your computer and reset that thing

Motorola RAZR MAXX - XT912 - .215 radio - SimplexROM 1.2 - Wigdetsoid - Tether - Linux Installer w/ UbuntuV5 Lg - Otter Box - Safestrap - Chrome - Tweaked Camera - AIDE - 80gb Storage w/64 removable - 6 columns & 7 rows

cleave

Reaction score
To answer your question...no, it won't take you back to .211. Another option is to download Mybackup from the market. You can backup ALL of your apps prior to doing an FDR, then reinstall Mybackup again, then reload your apps. Also, I'm going to ask this question again...did you ever reset your router?

I wouldn't hold your breath for an update, there has been rumors of an update for quite some time, but nothing so far. If an update ever does happen, you will still be able to install it one way or another.

Last edited:
OP
R

Raven1155

Reaction score
cleave said:
To answer your question...no, it won't take you back to .211. Another option is to download Mybackup from the market. You can backup ALL of your apps prior to doing an FDR, then reinstall Mybackup again, then reload your apps. Also, I'm going to ask this question again...did you ever reset your router?

I wouldn't hold your breath for an update, there has been rumors of an update for quite some time, but nothing so far. If an update ever does happen, you will still be able to install it one way or another.

Cleave,
Thanks! I do have MyBackup, so we'll see on the FDR. As far as the router, yes, I have reset it (a few different times).

I don't root, or have any computer programs that do anything to or with my Maxx, so I'm not sure how I'd get back to .211 and >IF< any OTA were to come, I would imagine that I'd have to get back to before installing the leak to "qualify" for that upgrade, that's why I asked. I gave up "expecting" upgrades quite some time ago.

OP
R

Raven1155

Reaction score
sully0400 said:
Save the apps on your computer and reset that thing

Motorola RAZR MAXX - XT912 - .215 radio - SimplexROM 1.2 - Wigdetsoid - Tether - Linux Installer w/ UbuntuV5 Lg - Otter Box - Safestrap - Chrome - Tweaked Camera - AIDE - 80gb Storage w/64 removable - 6 columns & 7 rows

Sully, I have NO idea what you're trying to tell me with this list of apps/features... Sorry!

GotnFX

Reaction score
Raven1155 said:
As far as the router, yes, I have reset it (a few different times).

Just throwing this out there but how did you reset the router?

If you havent already resolved this and you didn't unplug the modem/router...try doing it..wait about 30 secs b4 plugging everything back in.

Again not sure if you did this or not..

GotnFX

Reaction score
Raven1155 said:
Sully, I have NO idea what you're trying to tell me with this list of apps/features... Sorry!

Sully's signature is just listing his phones features..nothing for you to do with the list.

Sully was just saying back things up on your computer.

cleave

Reaction score
Yes, what GotnFX said. A lot of times people think they can reset the router by just pushing the reset button on the back. However, to really reset it, you need to unplug it for at least 1 minute, then plug it back in.

OP
R

Raven1155

Reaction score
Sorry that I didn't close this out...

I finally did a Factory Reset. The WiFi seems to work fine now, so thanks for that. However...

I was right to be leery of the FR. MyBackup Pro did NOT back up everything and I did lose a BUNCH of settings and/or data. I am not blaming anyone other than myself, mind you, but do consider this a friendly warning to use all of your apps' own backup methods before doing the FR!

So now I have two issues to resolve, one of which I'll address in another post. In this thread I'll just ask one last question... Could someone point me to a method for going BACK to the over-the-air software when/if I ever need to do so?

sully0400

Reaction score
The good way to backup everything is to connect your phone to your computer will see Usb cable and do a complete copy of the internal and external SD cards. I use e s file explorer for backing up the app as their updated this way if they do something stupid I can always go back to 3 versions and get it working again

- RAZR MAXX - XT912 - 1325MHz - SimplexROM 1.3 - LinuxInstaller - SafeStrap 2.11 - Ubuntu 10.04 -

JRParsons

Reaction score
Unless somethings different with your phone the FR probably didn't delete the OTA update, it just reinstalled it.
If I'm understanding your question correctly, you should have no problems getting future OTA updates.

OP
R

Raven1155

Reaction score
JRParsons said:
If I'm understanding your question correctly, you should have no problems getting future OTA updates.

JRP, I had .211 prior to installing .215 using guidance from earlier posts in this thread. I do doubt that it'll ever come up, but if there IS a future OTA update, I'll need to get back to .211. That's what I was talking about...