Did overclocking kill my phone or did I just kill my phone?

cc16177

Reaction score
So I upgraded to I believe the "smoked glass" (?) ROM about four days ago, and had been running at 800mhz peak 250mhz standby (I believe, I had set up the "profiles" setting and set max to 800 min to 250) with no problems.

Yesterday, my phone was performing more like it used to (before I overclocked) so I thought maybe something may be wrong with the profile set up and it was sticking down around 250mhz... so I bumped it up to 800min/800max.

I listen to music while in the shower and this morning I got a drop of water (about the size of a dime) on the screen and promptly wiped it off (this has happened before). While at work this morning in a meeting I received two text messages, after the meeting when I went to check them the phone would not power on.

I noticed a SLIGHT amount of moisture in the battery compartment but the water dot does still have the white background/red x which I was told meant technically that there was not water damage.... but I let the phone air-dry for a few hours before attempting to power on, and still no luck.

This thread is in NO WAY a complaint directed towards anyone who likes over clocking or recommends it, because honestly I am not looking forward to using the phone at 550mhz again, but am a little worried that I may fry it again.

Just wanted to give every one a little warning, not sure what caused this but I am very tech savvy (at least I consider myself so) so I am very careful with my electronics... and don't believe this to be my fault.

Regardless, Verizon is allowing me to pick up a refurb at the nearest store to me, so they are awesome on the customer service end once again. Guess that's what counts...

That's all guys, not sure where to put this thread so it's going here... feel free to move it and sorry i'm ranting on, just wanted to explain everything about this strange situation to help my fellow Droid-ers.

-Collin

gregsjh13

Reaction score
WHEN A PHONE GETS WET YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO TURN IT ON..

get a bag of rice and put your droid in it for 2 days.

gentlefury

Reaction score
So I upgraded to I believe the "smoked glass" (?) ROM about four days ago, and had been running at 800mhz peak 250mhz standby (I believe, I had set up the "profiles" setting and set max to 800 min to 250) with no problems.

Yesterday, my phone was performing more like it used to (before I overclocked) so I thought maybe something may be wrong with the profile set up and it was sticking down around 250mhz... so I bumped it up to 800min/800max.

I listen to music while in the shower and this morning I got a drop of water (about the size of a dime) on the screen and promptly wiped it off (this has happened before). While at work this morning in a meeting I received two text messages, after the meeting when I went to check them the phone would not power on.

I noticed a SLIGHT amount of moisture in the battery compartment but the water dot does still have the white background/red x which I was told meant technically that there was not water damage.... but I let the phone air-dry for a few hours before attempting to power on, and still no luck.

This thread is in NO WAY a complaint directed towards anyone who likes over clocking or recommends it, because honestly I am not looking forward to using the phone at 550mhz again, but am a little worried that I may fry it again.

Just wanted to give every one a little warning, not sure what caused this but I am very tech savvy (at least I consider myself so) so I am very careful with my electronics... and don't believe this to be my fault.

Regardless, Verizon is allowing me to pick up a refurb at the nearest store to me, so they are awesome on the customer service end once again. Guess that's what counts...

That's all guys, not sure where to put this thread so it's going here... feel free to move it and sorry i'm ranting on, just wanted to explain everything about this strange situation to help my fellow Droid-ers.

-Collin

This has nothing to do with overclocking!

Don't take your phone in the shower....figured that was obvious! If you turn on a 1999 nokia brick while its wet you will fry it!

Circuit Board + Water = Sizzle Sizzle Fizz Dead!

NOW, if you get ANY phone wet and you take out the battery and let it dry for a couple days and it is dry and you start it no problem, but if you start it wet it will fry it. Please don't start saying OC fried your droid tho....there have been no cases of that happening. You could have set it to 125/125 and turned it on wet and killed it.

Atook

Reaction score
I would guess steam from the shower ended up condensing inside and frying it.

M

Matth3w

I've left mine in the closed bathroom while showering, and I take long ass hot showers (granted I was not listening to music, it was in sleep while waiting for a very important call) and had no issues.

Dream

Reaction score
I take mine into the bathroom too while taking a shower, since release day and no problems what so ever. All while listening to Pandora.

qwiksilver711

Reaction score

lol, what is rice going to do? nothing, rice does not actually have the absorbency to pull the water out of the phone man... there is a how to in the FAQ forum on how to dry electronics the right way, and it isnt rice

M

Matth3w

Does nothing. I tried rice in a bag for two days nonsense after some idiot pushed me in a pool with my LG enV3.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's an example on another board about a guy killing his phone while installing a screen protector - too much water/soap spray. If I remember correctly, he told Verizon what happened and they replaced it.

mooreman

Reaction score

lol, what is rice going to do? nothing, rice does not actually have the absorbency to pull the water out of the phone man... there is a how to in the FAQ forum on how to dry electronics the right way, and it isnt rice

Wrong, it's been a proven fact for years that rice works. I've used it for several applications for years and there's no question that it works, there's no point debating it.

TJM

Reaction score
I thought I read in one of the other threads that you should try the substance that is in the gel packs that you find in medicine bottles, etc. To get some of that and lay your phone in it for a few days. I am not sure where you would get this (maybe a shipping store, or a pharmaceutical company). They are used to absorb moisture - hey, worth a try . . .