Did ics on rezound kill battery?

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by thrgk, Aug 6, 2012.

1. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I disabled Widget Locker this morning, haven't checked my battery or user stats yet but can confirm the occasional lag, Auto Bright app being quirky, and a few other weird things have stopped.
    Fwiw, I have an extended battery because I prefer the in hand feel . On days I'm going to be away from electricity for a long time I carry a Newtrent 5200mah external battery to put a charge on if needed. It's about half the size of the phone and will charge the extended battery almost twice . Basically if I leave home with a full battery I have almost 3 batteries worth of charge using the external battery.
    I'll keep checking apps and stats but I've disabled maps for now and my weather apps are working just fine without it.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
  2. Snoking

Snoking Member

What do you have selected in location?

Attached Files:

3. brianjcohen

brianjcohen New Member

Late last week, my wife took the ICS OTA on her Rezound. Yesterday, unprompted, she said "Wow, after just one day of *barely* using my phone (a couple short calls, some texting, checked email a couple times), the phone is down to 13% battery." I don't know how much worse that is than GB, but it's clearly bad enough for her to notice and say something.
  4. mountainbikermark

One other thing I've noticed. In sleep my battery used to sit around 84f and now is around 89f but when used for anything it would quickly get 110 and above. Going through the usual paces it hasn't gone above 108f yet. For most uses it settles between 102 and 104

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
  5. thrgk

thrgk New Member

Maybe no ics for me. Seems like gb is best

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  6. Brightonbrad

Brightonbrad New Member

I'm at 16% right now with under 11 hours of use.......and I'm on extended battery. That's what I used to get with normal battery. What happened to the rumors of better battery on ics

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
  7. mountainbikermark

One reason my battery is hurting is the signal in my area went from bad to worse a couple of weeks ago, my battery life had already gone down some when it happened.
    Today my battery is back to about what it was before ics updated. The only thing I've done differently is stopped using Widget Locker this morning. Again, nothing is standing out but a lot of a little this and that is adding up.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
  8. gerrya

gerrya New Member

Maps seems to be a big issue. Myself and my wife have Rezound's and neither of us opened them today and maps is right under screen for battery usage. If it wasn't for that, the battery life would be good for us. I rebooted last night and didn't open Maps today but it opens in the background for some reason. Is there anything we can do to stop maps (besides disabling) from running or do we have to wait for an update?
  9. mountainbikermark

Maybe try uninstall updates? I had to do that last summer when an update caused the same problem on my Inc. It solved the battery drain. Personally I believe it's in the offline cache because both times I've had a problem was when the update addressed offline cache.
    I don't use Maps much, maybe twice a year, so I froze mine rather than attempt anything else .

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
  10. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

All ticked... Will have to play this some more, but my battery life is getting better day by day, I don't really understand why though.

"Maps" seems to be what is listed anytime anything uses the GPS, including the built-in Weather sync (if you don't use the widgets or weather lockscreen, make sure to turn off the Weather sync as well), Facebook, c:geo, or whenever you see the GPS Icon on the top of the phone active it will add time to the Maps application in the what's using my battery section.
  11. Snoking

Snoking Member

So un-check GPS and Google. One of those is most likely starting Maps.
  12. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Yeah, probably will as soon as I find a widget to toggle it easily (I know they are out there, I just have to look a little bit) since I do geocaching, kinda tough to do without the GPS.
  13. Snoking

Snoking Member

That is not the normal GPS on and off. It is to let the phone use the VZW NETWORK, GPS and/or Google determine the phones location. There other places to turn the GPS on for apps.

Attached Files:

14. Snoking

Snoking Member

Or Notification toggle can be set to control many things.

Attached Files:

15. gerrya

gerrya New Member

I use the build in HTC widget, works good and matches the other HTC ones.
  16. hotsaucecommittee

hotsaucecommittee Member

I've not noticed any difference in battery. If anything, maybe ever so slightly better. I never use maps either and it has always ate up battery, do you guys all recommend freezing it?
  17. gerrya

gerrya New Member

I shut the GPS completely off in settings last night, thinking that Maps under battery use was really GPS, and maps is my biggest battery user today, and it hasnt been opened, so I dont get it?
  18. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Weird, I turned off GPS Only (left Network and Google location services active) and have not had a single instance of Maps show up in what's using my battery since 11:00pm last night.

And I have to admit, my battery life seems to be getting better day by day... not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I had to do a battery pull reset because of a misbehaving app the other day (that app is gone now), that is when it seemed to start getting better.
  19. gerrya

gerrya New Member

After some googeling I found some people signed into latitude and de-selected the location service even though it already was, and then signed out of latitude. Gonna see if that helps.
  20. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

lol... guess so, I thought like most other manufacturers it was just a shortcut to the Location Settings page, guess it does actually toggle the GPS, my bad... but it doesn't fit with the widgets I am using now which show the Wireless network I am connected too (and on/off toggle), allow me to change the brightness in 8 steps or double tap for Automatic, what BT profile is connected, etc.

Attached Files:

Search tags for this page
57s on battery

htc rezound battery drain

htc rezound battery issues

htc rezound battery life

htc rezound ics battery drain
htc rezound ics battery issues
ics update cause battery drain have rezound
my htc rezound phone is getting hot and i think killing the
rezound 5 hours on battery

rezound battery issues