Did ics on rezound kill battery?

HowardZ

Reaction score
my spare standard battery

HTC Rezound ADR6425 Standard Battery BTR6425B Verizon 1620 mAh:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

my standalone battery charger

Battery Desktop Charger with USB Output for HTC ThunderBolt 4G / Incredible HD:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

my extended battery and cover was free from Verizon after some mistakes were made by their people. They like to offer something for free after they screw up.

my spare extended battery is made for thunderbolt yet fits and works in rezound.
OEM HTC Thunderbolt Extended Battery (35H00149-01M) - Non-Retail Packaging:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

And guess what? I rarely use any of them. I rarely need to operate my phone more than two hours away from a charger. How long does one jog in the park? sit in a movie theatre? sit in church? play tennis? and so on.

Think about it. You can charge at home, in the car, and at work if you have a desk job.

Sure, I remember going a few days between charges on my old LG flip phone, but who wants a flip phone now?

My Motorola droid x couldnt go all day on a charge, even if I wouldn't touch it and pretended it was a dumb flip phone. Now we have dual core CPUs and 4G LTE making even higher demands on the battery.

Sure, there exist other phones with larger batteries, but its a trade off. I don't want another Motorola locked bootloader no matter how big their battery is. I considered the Galaxy Nexus earlier this year, but GN owners were all complaining about having dropped data in 4G lte and keeping their phone in 3G helped. Did I want the Galaxy nexus larger screen & ICS or a phone with good working 4G LTE? I figured the phone has to work right, and that's more important. The capabilities to use it on any GSM carrier is also a future plus.

I'm sorry if you didn't discover the rezound's battery weakness before you purchased it. There is no perfect phone to buy. Everyone makes their own priorities list.

I think my next phone will be the rumored HTC phone with a 5 to 6 inch screen, quad core CPU, and 1080p screen resolution. Maybe I'll need a juicepack like this for it.

[18 Months Warranty] Anker® Astro3 10000mAh Dual 2A USB Output External Battery Backup and Charger for iPhone 4 4S 3GS 3G, iPod, iPad (1-3); Most Android Phones: Samsung Galaxy S S2 S3 / HTC One X One S Sensation EVO / Motorola Droid / LG Optimus / N

Xander Crews

Reaction score
And guess what? I rarely use any of them. I rarely need to operate my phone more than two hours away from a charger. How long does one jog in the park? sit in a movie theatre? sit in church? play tennis? and so on.

Think about it. You can charge at home, in the car, and at work if you have a desk job.
Do you use the extended battery?
Personally, for me, constantly plugging and unplugging is a hassle. Being tethered to a charger isn't my idea of a cell phone...that's almost a land line phone. $30 buys an extended battery on my Rezound and also the piece of mind of not having to worry about my battery at all during the day, even on heavy use days. No brainer for me.

There are some folks who have two stock batteries that they switch out halfway through the day...every day. I don't get that at all. Powering down your phone every day to switch out batteries?? Forget that noise. Talk about a pain in the A. I just use the extended battery and never have to worry about the battery.

My Motorola droid x couldnt go all day on a charge, even if I wouldn't touch it and pretended it was a dumb flip phone. Now we have dual core CPUs and 4G LTE making even higher demands on the battery.
You had other issues going on. Misbehaving apps constantly running, GPS & bluetooth constantly on, a bad battery...or something.
I don't care what phone you have...if you don't touch it at all during the day, you should have a lot of battery left at night.

OP
T

thrgk

Reaction score
Do you use the extended battery?
Personally, for me, constantly plugging and unplugging is a hassle. Being tethered to a charger isn't my idea of a cell phone...that's almost a land line phone. $30 buys an extended battery on my Rezound and also the piece of mind of not having to worry about my battery at all during the day, even on heavy use days. No brainer for me.

There are some folks who have two stock batteries that they switch out halfway through the day...every day. I don't get that at all. Powering down your phone every day to switch out batteries?? Forget that noise. Talk about a pain in the A. I just use the extended battery and never have to worry about the battery.

You had other issues going on. Misbehaving apps constantly running, GPS & bluetooth constantly on, a bad battery...or something.
I don't care what phone you have...if you don't touch it at all during the day, you should have a lot of battery left at night.

what case do u use with ur extended battery? does it protect the screen and rest of the phone well? like the defender by otterbox

DroidBoardr

Reaction score

I would consider a brick in my pocket for a whole day a bigger pain than switching a battery. Just my opinion. Curious, Do you carry your phone around in your pocket. For me the extended battery just made the phone too heavy and bulky for my pocket.( i tried my buddies for a week.) I can see the extended battery for hip use maybe. Powering the phone down to switch the battery isn't that hard for me. Neither is plugging it in when i spend time at my desk. That's a pretty rough comparison to a land line though, since it can be plugged in almost anywhere. I've never been more than 8 hours away from and outlet or usb, and I spend half my time working on roofs.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disabled Widget Locker this morning, haven't checked my battery or user stats yet but can confirm the occasional lag, Auto Bright app being quirky, and a few other weird things have stopped.
Fwiw, I have an extended battery because I prefer the in hand feel . On days I'm going to be away from electricity for a long time I carry a Newtrent 5200mah external battery to put a charge on if needed. It's about half the size of the phone and will charge the extended battery almost twice . Basically if I leave home with a full battery I have almost 3 batteries worth of charge using the external battery.
I'll keep checking apps and stats but I've disabled maps for now and my weather apps are working just fine without it.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Snoking

Reaction score
acejavelin said:
Google Maps definitely seems to be doing something in the background, not a real significant amount by itself, but compared to other things it's really high...

76% Battery - 8h 2m 57s on battery

Maps 28% - CPU Total 35s, CPU Foreground 29s, Keep Awake 1m 19s, GPS 57s, Tx 60k/Rx 277k
Screen 26% - 21m 36s
Voice Calls 25% - 13m 31s
Cell Standby 9% - 8h 2m 57s
Phone Idle 8% - 7h 41m 21s
WiFi 4% - 2h 16m 26s

And I only opened Maps long enough to make sure Latitude was off and background caching was off, and it used 28% of the battery? Seems very odd...

EDIT: Checked my other (personal) Rezound that was hardly used to today as well, same results, Maps is the biggest battery hog with only a couple minutes of CPU use it took up 27% of the battery, and I never opened it even once.

EDIT2: Did a Google Search for "google maps using battery" and low and behold the HTC One series is seeing this as well, so is the HTC Evo 3D and Evo 4G LTE, and handful of other phones too... some comments are that this is being used by other services that use location like SoundHound, Weather, and such, but I haven't used any of these apps today at all, although my lockscreen and homescreen both use weather.

What do you have selected in location?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120808_084016.png
    ForumRunner_20120808_084016.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 212

brianjcohen

Reaction score
Late last week, my wife took the ICS OTA on her Rezound. Yesterday, unprompted, she said "Wow, after just one day of *barely* using my phone (a couple short calls, some texting, checked email a couple times), the phone is down to 13% battery." I don't know how much worse that is than GB, but it's clearly bad enough for her to notice and say something.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One other thing I've noticed. In sleep my battery used to sit around 84f and now is around 89f but when used for anything it would quickly get 110 and above. Going through the usual paces it hasn't gone above 108f yet. For most uses it settles between 102 and 104

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

OP
T

thrgk

Reaction score
Maybe no ics for me. Seems like gb is best

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Brightonbrad

Reaction score
I'm at 16% right now with under 11 hours of use.......and I'm on extended battery. That's what I used to get with normal battery. What happened to the rumors of better battery on ics

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One reason my battery is hurting is the signal in my area went from bad to worse a couple of weeks ago, my battery life had already gone down some when it happened.
Today my battery is back to about what it was before ics updated. The only thing I've done differently is stopped using Widget Locker this morning. Again, nothing is standing out but a lot of a little this and that is adding up.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

gerrya

Reaction score
Maps seems to be a big issue. Myself and my wife have Rezound's and neither of us opened them today and maps is right under screen for battery usage. If it wasn't for that, the battery life would be good for us. I rebooted last night and didn't open Maps today but it opens in the background for some reason. Is there anything we can do to stop maps (besides disabling) from running or do we have to wait for an update?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maps seems to be a big issue. Myself and my wife have Rezound's and neither of us opened them today and maps is right under screen for battery usage. If it wasn't for that, the battery life would be good for us. I rebooted last night and didn't open Maps today but it opens in the background for some reason. Is there anything we can do to stop maps (besides disabling) from running or do we have to wait for an update?

Maybe try uninstall updates? I had to do that last summer when an update caused the same problem on my Inc. It solved the battery drain. Personally I believe it's in the offline cache because both times I've had a problem was when the update addressed offline cache.
I don't use Maps much, maybe twice a year, so I froze mine rather than attempt anything else .

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

acejavelin

Reaction score
What do you have selected in location?
All ticked... Will have to play this some more, but my battery life is getting better day by day, I don't really understand why though.

"Maps" seems to be what is listed anytime anything uses the GPS, including the built-in Weather sync (if you don't use the widgets or weather lockscreen, make sure to turn off the Weather sync as well), Facebook, c:geo, or whenever you see the GPS Icon on the top of the phone active it will add time to the Maps application in the what's using my battery section.