Did ics on rezound kill battery?

thrgk

Reaction score
Ics hurt the RAZR family battery pretty bad did most also notice a decrease in battery with rezoubd after ics or not really?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've noticed my cpu has been working harder trying to do the things it used to do with less effort because some apps aren't playing nice with each other but with each day as I figure out what is what it is getting better. Friday night I was getting frequent app alerts from Watch Dog that apps, system processes and other things were surpassing the 50% cpu usage threshold I'd set but I've only gotten 1 since yesterday and it happened when I force killed Sense this morning. Whether my battery ever lives up to the hype I can't say but I have found a reboot or 2 a day as well as checking apps settings and force killing things here and there are helping cut down on the cpu usage, which is helping the battery life and running temperature of it.
I'd prefer not to have to do the added work of working around an "upgrade" but with Android fragmentaion it's a something that will have to be done until everything is on Jelly Bean,Melon, Peach Cobbler or whatever and no manufacturers and/or carriers are allowed to add their stuff. For now it's that or ios and I'll go back to a dumbphone and desktop before ios again

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy with Blue Tapatalk and a ZaggFolio

svdroiddude

Reaction score
I agree with MBM. At first my battery life was HORRIBLE, even in idle. After a factory reset and some time to sync it has got a little better, especially on idle. I can set my phone down and not touch it....come back an hr later and it's only lost 3% (if on wifi). Time will tell but I'm guessing battery life will be comparable with GB.

acejavelin

Reaction score
My personal Rezound the battery life seems very hit and miss, today with minimal usage I used less that 7% in 4 hours, yesterday it was more like 20% with similar usage. I still haven't been able to put my finger on the battery drainer yet, but I will...

On my work Rezound, which has had less than 15 apps installed ever in it's life, the battery life has increased noticeably over Gingerbread, leading me to believe that ICS is not the real problem, but misbehaving apps is the battery drainer.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My personal Rezound the battery life seems very hit and miss, today with minimal usage I used less that 7% in 4 hours, yesterday it was more like 20% with similar usage. I still haven't been able to put my finger on the battery drainer yet, but I will...

On my work Rezound, which has had less than 15 apps installed ever in it's life, the battery life has increased noticeably over Gingerbread, leading me to believe that ICS is not the real problem, but misbehaving apps is the battery drainer.

PLEASE post back when you find it. I will do the same if I find any major fixes. I did find Maps was waking my phone often in the background with screen off but for minimal amounts of time at a time. And "media" ,whatever that is, is using the most battery according to GSam and "downloads" is what it's doing. I keep force closing but it opens back up.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Tapatalked from this Galaxy

acejavelin

Reaction score
PLEASE post back when you find it. I will do the same if I find any major fixes. I did find Maps was waking my phone often in the background with screen off but for minimal amounts of time at a time. And "media" ,whatever that is, is using the most battery according to GSam and "downloads" is what it's doing. I keep force closing but it opens back up.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Tapatalked from this Galaxy
Will do... I have also noticed that Maps seems to be waking the phone a lot, and activating the GPS, and the amount of power it seems to draw for such a short time seems very high, will try to look at that too. Might try uninstalling updates and disabling for a bit, but it's usage seems consistent across both of my phones, and only one is having moderate, inconsistent battery drain issues, the other one I have noticed the battery life has increased significantly.

Claudzion

Reaction score
I think the battery use is higher. I've had to charge my phone more often, and It gets hot.more often.

Sent from my Rezound

OP
T

thrgk

Reaction score
yea, on verizon all the reviews say the battery sucks, only a few hours of screen time, that seems very bad, wonder if i would get a lot more with the 2700mah battery? or is the nexus has best battery life

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I haven't gotten the latest OTA because i flashed the first leak back in march, but i would say that my battery life got much better with ICS over GB. Still hard to make a whole day with much use, but it was better. Seems like i used to have to charge at work, but after flashing the leak, i was able to get home with maybe 15% battery left. A difference of maybe 20-30% i would think. Ballparking as a layman so don't beat me up.

OP
T

thrgk

Reaction score
are u on stock battery or using extended

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
are u on stock battery or using extended
I use the stock battery. I have often considered getting a second one as a back up, but never pulled the trigger. I think the phone is fat enough without the extended battery, and i thought it would be good to always have one with a full charge when it is most needed. I figured on just keeping the extra in my briefcase or my car, and not fattening my pocket.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
The superior screen of the Rezound makes the battery life not quite the best. It's one of the trade offs one has to make.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Will do... I have also noticed that Maps seems to be waking the phone a lot, and activating the GPS, and the amount of power it seems to draw for such a short time seems very high, will try to look at that too. Might try uninstalling updates and disabling for a bit, but it's usage seems consistent across both of my phones, and only one is having moderate, inconsistent battery drain issues, the other one I have noticed the battery life has increased significantly.
Google Maps definitely seems to be doing something in the background, not a real significant amount by itself, but compared to other things it's really high...

76% Battery - 8h 2m 57s on battery

Maps 28% - CPU Total 35s, CPU Foreground 29s, Keep Awake 1m 19s, GPS 57s, Tx 60k/Rx 277k
Screen 26% - 21m 36s
Voice Calls 25% - 13m 31s
Cell Standby 9% - 8h 2m 57s
Phone Idle 8% - 7h 41m 21s
WiFi 4% - 2h 16m 26s

And I only opened Maps long enough to make sure Latitude was off and background caching was off, and it used 28% of the battery? Seems very odd...

EDIT: Checked my other (personal) Rezound that was hardly used to today as well, same results, Maps is the biggest battery hog with only a couple minutes of CPU use it took up 27% of the battery, and I never opened it even once.

EDIT2: Did a Google Search for "google maps using battery" and low and behold the HTC One series is seeing this as well, so is the HTC Evo 3D and Evo 4G LTE, and handful of other phones too... some comments are that this is being used by other services that use location like SoundHound, Weather, and such, but I haven't used any of these apps today at all, although my lockscreen and homescreen both use weather.

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help anyone, I've been having battery issues, though not because of the maps. Anyway, here ya go.

I had endomondo on for over 3 hours today (my battery life seems to be improving a little, still not what it was on GB) That could have been the only thing that would have used maps. According to GSAM, maps used 2.0% CPU usage:1m 5s, Keep Awake:10s, Number of wake locks 77, number of times waking device:76 The included process are friend service, netowrk location and location friend service.