1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Did ics on rezound kill battery?

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by thrgk, Aug 6, 2012.

1. thrgk

thrgk New Member

Ics hurt the RAZR family battery pretty bad did most also notice a decrease in battery with rezoubd after ics or not really?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  2. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I've noticed my cpu has been working harder trying to do the things it used to do with less effort because some apps aren't playing nice with each other but with each day as I figure out what is what it is getting better. Friday night I was getting frequent app alerts from Watch Dog that apps, system processes and other things were surpassing the 50% cpu usage threshold I'd set but I've only gotten 1 since yesterday and it happened when I force killed Sense this morning. Whether my battery ever lives up to the hype I can't say but I have found a reboot or 2 a day as well as checking apps settings and force killing things here and there are helping cut down on the cpu usage, which is helping the battery life and running temperature of it.
    I'd prefer not to have to do the added work of working around an "upgrade" but with Android fragmentaion it's a something that will have to be done until everything is on Jelly Bean,Melon, Peach Cobbler or whatever and no manufacturers and/or carriers are allowed to add their stuff. For now it's that or ios and I'll go back to a dumbphone and desktop before ios again

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Sent from this Galaxy with Blue Tapatalk and a ZaggFolio
  3. svdroiddude

svdroiddude New Member

I agree with MBM. At first my battery life was HORRIBLE, even in idle. After a factory reset and some time to sync it has got a little better, especially on idle. I can set my phone down and not touch it....come back an hr later and it's only lost 3% (if on wifi). Time will tell but I'm guessing battery life will be comparable with GB.
  4. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

My personal Rezound the battery life seems very hit and miss, today with minimal usage I used less that 7% in 4 hours, yesterday it was more like 20% with similar usage. I still haven't been able to put my finger on the battery drainer yet, but I will...

On my work Rezound, which has had less than 15 apps installed ever in it's life, the battery life has increased noticeably over Gingerbread, leading me to believe that ICS is not the real problem, but misbehaving apps is the battery drainer.
  5. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

PLEASE post back when you find it. I will do the same if I find any major fixes. I did find Maps was waking my phone often in the background with screen off but for minimal amounts of time at a time. And "media" ,whatever that is, is using the most battery according to GSam and "downloads" is what it's doing. I keep force closing but it opens back up.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Tapatalked from this Galaxy
  6. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Will do... I have also noticed that Maps seems to be waking the phone a lot, and activating the GPS, and the amount of power it seems to draw for such a short time seems very high, will try to look at that too. Might try uninstalling updates and disabling for a bit, but it's usage seems consistent across both of my phones, and only one is having moderate, inconsistent battery drain issues, the other one I have noticed the battery life has increased significantly.
  7. Claudzion

Claudzion New Member

I think the battery use is higher. I've had to charge my phone more often, and It gets hot.more often.

Sent from my Rezound
  8. thrgk

thrgk New Member

yea, on verizon all the reviews say the battery sucks, only a few hours of screen time, that seems very bad, wonder if i would get a lot more with the 2700mah battery? or is the nexus has best battery life
  9. DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr Member

I haven't gotten the latest OTA because i flashed the first leak back in march, but i would say that my battery life got much better with ICS over GB. Still hard to make a whole day with much use, but it was better. Seems like i used to have to charge at work, but after flashing the leak, i was able to get home with maybe 15% battery left. A difference of maybe 20-30% i would think. Ballparking as a layman so don't beat me up.
  10. thrgk

thrgk New Member

are u on stock battery or using extended
  11. DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr Member

I use the stock battery. I have often considered getting a second one as a back up, but never pulled the trigger. I think the phone is fat enough without the extended battery, and i thought it would be good to always have one with a full charge when it is most needed. I figured on just keeping the extra in my briefcase or my car, and not fattening my pocket.
  12. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

The superior screen of the Rezound makes the battery life not quite the best. It's one of the trade offs one has to make.
  13. Xander Crews

Xander Crews New Member

Extended battery.
  14. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Google Maps definitely seems to be doing something in the background, not a real significant amount by itself, but compared to other things it's really high...

76% Battery - 8h 2m 57s on battery

Maps 28% - CPU Total 35s, CPU Foreground 29s, Keep Awake 1m 19s, GPS 57s, Tx 60k/Rx 277k
    Screen 26% - 21m 36s
    Voice Calls 25% - 13m 31s
    Cell Standby 9% - 8h 2m 57s
    Phone Idle 8% - 7h 41m 21s
    WiFi 4% - 2h 16m 26s

And I only opened Maps long enough to make sure Latitude was off and background caching was off, and it used 28% of the battery? Seems very odd...

EDIT: Checked my other (personal) Rezound that was hardly used to today as well, same results, Maps is the biggest battery hog with only a couple minutes of CPU use it took up 27% of the battery, and I never opened it even once.

EDIT2: Did a Google Search for "google maps using battery" and low and behold the HTC One series is seeing this as well, so is the HTC Evo 3D and Evo 4G LTE, and handful of other phones too... some comments are that this is being used by other services that use location like SoundHound, Weather, and such, but I haven't used any of these apps today at all, although my lockscreen and homescreen both use weather.
  15. VooDooCC

VooDooCC New Member

Not sure if this will help anyone, I've been having battery issues, though not because of the maps. Anyway, here ya go.

I had endomondo on for over 3 hours today (my battery life seems to be improving a little, still not what it was on GB) That could have been the only thing that would have used maps. According to GSAM, maps used 2.0% CPU usage:1m 5s, Keep Awake:10s, Number of wake locks 77, number of times waking device:76 The included process are friend service, netowrk location and location friend service.
  16. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

Phone size and battery life is another trade off you have to make.
  17. HowardZ

HowardZ New Member

my spare standard battery

HTC Rezound ADR6425 Standard Battery BTR6425B Verizon 1620 mAh:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

my standalone battery charger

Battery Desktop Charger with USB Output for HTC ThunderBolt 4G / Incredible HD:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

my extended battery and cover was free from Verizon after some mistakes were made by their people. They like to offer something for free after they screw up.

my spare extended battery is made for thunderbolt yet fits and works in rezound.
    OEM HTC Thunderbolt Extended Battery (35H00149-01M) - Non-Retail Packaging:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

And guess what? I rarely use any of them. I rarely need to operate my phone more than two hours away from a charger. How long does one jog in the park? sit in a movie theatre? sit in church? play tennis? and so on.

Think about it. You can charge at home, in the car, and at work if you have a desk job.

Sure, I remember going a few days between charges on my old LG flip phone, but who wants a flip phone now?

My Motorola droid x couldnt go all day on a charge, even if I wouldn't touch it and pretended it was a dumb flip phone. Now we have dual core CPUs and 4G LTE making even higher demands on the battery.

Sure, there exist other phones with larger batteries, but its a trade off. I don't want another Motorola locked bootloader no matter how big their battery is. I considered the Galaxy Nexus earlier this year, but GN owners were all complaining about having dropped data in 4G lte and keeping their phone in 3G helped. Did I want the Galaxy nexus larger screen & ICS or a phone with good working 4G LTE? I figured the phone has to work right, and that's more important. The capabilities to use it on any GSM carrier is also a future plus.

I'm sorry if you didn't discover the rezound's battery weakness before you purchased it. There is no perfect phone to buy. Everyone makes their own priorities list.

I think my next phone will be the rumored HTC phone with a 5 to 6 inch screen, quad core CPU, and 1080p screen resolution. Maybe I'll need a juicepack like this for it.

[18 Months Warranty] AnkerĀ® Astro3 10000mAh Dual 2A USB Output External Battery Backup and Charger for iPhone 4 4S 3GS 3G, iPod, iPad (1-3); Most Android Phones: Samsung Galaxy S S2 S3 / HTC One X One S Sensation EVO / Motorola Droid / LG Optimus / N
  18. Xander Crews

Xander Crews New Member

Do you use the extended battery?
    Personally, for me, constantly plugging and unplugging is a hassle. Being tethered to a charger isn't my idea of a cell phone...that's almost a land line phone. $30 buys an extended battery on my Rezound and also the piece of mind of not having to worry about my battery at all during the day, even on heavy use days. No brainer for me.

There are some folks who have two stock batteries that they switch out halfway through the day...every day. I don't get that at all. Powering down your phone every day to switch out batteries?? Forget that noise. Talk about a pain in the A. I just use the extended battery and never have to worry about the battery.

You had other issues going on. Misbehaving apps constantly running, GPS & bluetooth constantly on, a bad battery...or something.
    I don't care what phone you have...if you don't touch it at all during the day, you should have a lot of battery left at night.
  19. thrgk

thrgk New Member

what case do u use with ur extended battery? does it protect the screen and rest of the phone well? like the defender by otterbox
  20. DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr Member

I would consider a brick in my pocket for a whole day a bigger pain than switching a battery. Just my opinion. Curious, Do you carry your phone around in your pocket. For me the extended battery just made the phone too heavy and bulky for my pocket.( i tried my buddies for a week.) I can see the extended battery for hip use maybe. Powering the phone down to switch the battery isn't that hard for me. Neither is plugging it in when i spend time at my desk. That's a pretty rough comparison to a land line though, since it can be plugged in almost anywhere. I've never been more than 8 hours away from and outlet or usb, and I spend half my time working on roofs.
Search tags for this page
57s on battery

htc rezound battery drain

htc rezound battery issues

htc rezound battery life

htc rezound ics battery drain
htc rezound ics battery issues
ics update cause battery drain have rezound
my htc rezound phone is getting hot and i think killing the
rezound 5 hours on battery

rezound battery issues

rezound battery life