did I make a mistake?

Hexus

Reaction score
So I just barely got my Motorola droid with verizon. Now however verizon is going to be offering the Nexus One.
I've read the Nexus has a faster processor, not to mention 2.1 native and some other things the Motorola doesn't. I know the motorola can be rooted and overclocked to run faster but for warranty reasons I was kind of staying away from rooting. I haven't read all there is about rooting so I might end up going that route anyway.
But should I have waited and gone for the Nexus instead? I know the motorola has some things that the Nexus doesn't like an actual keyboard but the speeds (unrooted keep in mind) of the Nexus seem to be quite a bit faster.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Depends...do you want the keyboard or not?
Have you read the pros and cons of the nexus? They have very weak radios.

If you don't care for the keyboard try the nexusone. It's a nice phone and runs very well.

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score
the keyboard is a non issue for me. The main thing really is that the Nexus already has 2.1 and who knows when the motorola will. There's been so many rumors and speculation.
Plus the speed of the Nexus assuming I stay unrooted and don't overclock.

What would you do and why?

Darkseider

Reaction score
The Nexus One is an excellent device but you may find that the additional processor speed is not all that it is cracked up to be. The Droid has a dedicated GPU while the Nexus One does not. So the performance is offset right there. The Nexus One CPU with it's higher clock cycles makes up for the lack up GPU. All in all real world performance, other than benchmarks, is pretty much dead nuts stock vs. stock.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
the keyboard is a non issue for me. The main thing really is that the Nexus already has 2.1 and who knows when the motorola will. There's been so many rumors and speculation.
Plus the speed of the Nexus assuming I stay unrooted and don't overclock.

Since I have my droid rooted and I knwo the ins and outs of it I would keep it.

I have used a friend's nexus and it is fast and smooth. I love the physical keyboard and it's the main reason I got the droid. If that really doesn't matter to you, get the nexus. It's faster and if you do decide to root, has a whole lot more options as far as roms and themes than the droid. It's a google phone so it should get their updates quick.

Reaction score
Technically if you really want to play with 2.1 and stay stock their is a .sbf file that was leaked from Motorola that will give u a fully stock 2.1 rom no root or anything like that. You can use rsd lite to flash the file and get the 2.1 we were rumored to get like last week i think its a very stable rom.

And no you didn't make a poor choice on choosing the droid trust me this phone is going to be kept along for a a long time.

For the warranty issue my take is what they don't know wont hurt them here why i say this, ( god i love the MAY void your warranty loop xD )
1.If say something is messing up like the audio jack or whatever u can flash a sbf like i said before you take it back and they never know it was modded to begin with

2.If something hardware wise breaks and your phone wont boot then they sure wont be able to tell what u did with it so really dont worry about the warranty.

SeismicWorm

Reaction score
I am in my 30 day return window and got the Droid to see if Verizon has better coverage than T-Mobile and Sprint (avoided AT&T like the plague) a few weeks ago. Once I found out that I was getting 3 or 4 bars and excellent reception, I knew Verizon (Sprint only gets 1 or 2 bars at best and sometimes drop calls and data connections in my house... roaming, my a$$!) was for me. I was all set... was going to return the Droid and sit tight for the N1.

Just for fun, I rooted to see what all the fuss was about. It was like a new phone was born! The keyboard everyone was badmouthing, came in very handy with all those emulators (how do N1 users do it without the onscreen keyboard?!?) to do all those linux commands. Chalk one up for the Droid.

Then I came across an online article about how the N1 had that cheap plastic touchscreen compared to the Droid's excellent Gorilla glass touchscreen. This got me thinking that since HTC is a chinese company, they must be using lots of cheap parts on that N1. I did some more research on various forums and found out more cheap stuff on that plasticky N1 body (antenna losing 3G connection by how you hold the N1 and the multitouch getting confused when doing that mt test on the market).

All this discovery made me appreciate the Droid with it's solid body, gorilla glass, and overall quality feel even more than when I rooted and overclocked it. I decided right then to keep it and forgo waiting to get the N1.

Once you get over the boxy and fat look of the Droid, with time, you'll love the Droid! It does everything I want and more that I can not be away from it unless I'm slumbering.

Hope this helps.

OP
Hexus

Hexus

Reaction score
Technically if you really want to play with 2.1 and stay stock their is a .sbf file that was leaked from Motorola that will give u a fully stock 2.1 rom no root or anything like that. You can use rsd lite to flash the file and get the 2.1 we were rumored to get like last week i think its a very stable rom.

And no you didn't make a poor choice on choosing the droid trust me this phone is going to be kept along for a a long time.

For the warranty issue my take is what they don't know wont hurt them here why i say this, ( god i love the MAY void your warranty loop xD )
1.If say something is messing up like the audio jack or whatever u can flash a sbf like i said before you take it back and they never know it was modded to begin with

2.If something hardware wise breaks and your phone wont boot then they sure wont be able to tell what u did with it so really dont worry about the warranty.

that first part went over my head. I haven't spent a lot of time learning about stuff and I'm totally new to phone modding so I have a TON to learn.

Your other points were very good. I just want to make sure I got the most (or a very decent) bang for my buck. It's not like I can afford to go out and replace my phone every few months so the reassurance that I did make a good decision is appreciated.
I'm in my 30 day window so I can take it back but really don't want to unless someone can post something I feel is major enough for me to switch to the N1

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

that first part went over my head. I haven't spent a lot of time learning about stuff and I'm totally new to phone modding so I have a TON to learn.

Your other points were very good. I just want to make sure I got the most (or a very decent) bang for my buck. It's not like I can afford to go out and replace my phone every few months so the reassurance that I did make a good decision is appreciated.
I'm in my 30 day window so I can take it back but really don't want to unless someone can post something I feel is major enough for me to switch to the N1

well bang for your buck is droid. I dunno how much you pais but they are $50 online. Nexus will be expensive. And like has been mentioned we have a gpu chip. So when we get flash it will be much better than the nexus's flash lite.

gwlaw99

Reaction score
There is a program from droidmod.org that roots the phone for you. It also installs their custom rom if you want it to. It can also unroot your droid and return it stock if you need to for warranty.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Stick with the Droid because I'm not a fan of HTC's devices. Doesn't seem to be germane to you though.

Additionally, IMO the N1 isn't that big of a leap as many make it out to be for reasons already stated this thread. You have to compare the features and specs and make your own judgment call though.

Threads like this are extremely common on every Android forum site. You might want to see if you can find some of the other threads here rather than reinvent the wheel from scratch again.

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Look honestly everyone one her is gonna be partial to the droid as this is a droid forum look ur best bet is wait for the n1 for when it comes out take it for a test drive like you did the droid then make your choice. They're droids work great for them. now once you try both phones see what works best for you.