Did I just bootloop...trying to change fonts?

DMFA

Reaction score
I'm gonna feel like an idiot for this one!

I really liked the font from the BlackIce themes for earlier RubiXes, so I decided I'd just copy the ttf files from that theme - just clocktopia, droidserif and droidserif-bold - into the system/fonts directory and make copies of the old ones. That's it, nothing else.

I figured nothing could go wrong just by changing font files and nothing else, right? I didn't even make a backup since I had one a few days earlier. Well, when I rebooted, I would get the black bar with the clock in the new font at the top, but the boot logo wouldn't go away...and then it would loop and keep buzzing. Turns out I hadn't even bootstrapped, either, so I'm stuck in stock recovery. fffffffffuuuuuuuu.

Lesson learned, I guess. Time to hard reset/restore. And I'm guessing I can't adb in recovery or bootload.

If I did want to use those fonts, what's the safe way to do it? I'm fine with the rest of the basic theme; I just want the fonts. Thanks!

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
Did you set permissions after you copied the files over? I remember I did the same thing and forgot to set permissions and I bootlooped.

Sent from my Droid

OP
DMFA

DMFA

Reaction score
Did you set permissions after you copied the files over? I remember I did the same thing and forgot to set permissions and I bootlooped.

Sent from my Droid

No. Should have asked before jumping in. Bad move on my part.

1. How would I need to alter them?
2. Did you have to reset/restore, or was there some other way?

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
When I did it I restored and just did it again.

Sent from my Droid

OP
DMFA

DMFA

Reaction score
Okay, all set, thank the lord...

Just in case anyone completely bypassed the use of common sense like I did, whenever doing this, make sure the fonts' permissions are set to user read/write and read for group and others. In root explorer, it should show rw-r--r--.

Thanks a ton for your help! And in case this wasn't enough of a PSA, always make a backup and look before you leap!

Shown: font appearance, fonts directory, Root Explorer permissions

aefd71a1-4e5c-cb01.jpg
aefd71a1-4fc1-1f3a.jpg
aefd71a1-4fdb-b7e4.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App