Did I get a lemon/bad battery?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I guess the Factory Reset is my only option. Although, I really don't think it's going to help. As I said in my first post, we had to go through 3 sim cards before we got one that worked with data. Well, the first one that was put in, the phone didn't recognize at all, so they put another in and everything looked fine. It showed 3G signal with 5 bars. Cell services worked fine but data never would work. The told me there to give it an hour or so since the device was just activated and see if it would ever start working. Well, I had it for 2-3 hours before I ever got back to verizon but the data send/receive was never working. So I had downloaded no apps or anything in that first period. I know that would still be considered the "break-in" period on my phone, but I did seem to notice that battery life seemed very bad in that time. I really think there's a problem with my phone or the battery itself. Hopefully if that's the case, Verizon will man-up and replace it.

Also, if i do the factory reset... will my SD card be wiped? Do I need to save anything I want from there to my PC?
No, doing a Factory Reset does not wipe data off the removable sdcard. It could be a bad battery or a bad phone, but Verizon won't do anything until they have seen that a factory reset doesn't solve the issue.

OP
D

donnie5336

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and help. Factory reset it is then. I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Mriley

Reaction score
I also have a Razr and since I cannot figure out to start my own thread I am writing it on here!

My phone was working normally this morning, I updated the software it asked me to update and I got to work and the green light was blinking for notifications. I hit the side button as I usually do to turn on the screen, and nothing is happening. I have tried touching a few of the buttons, I tried holding in the side button, I tried plugging it into a charger. Nothing is working. It's like the phone died or froze... but the green light still blinks in the corner. I have only had this phone for two weeks!

OP
D

donnie5336

Reaction score
You can do what they call (i think) a "hard-reset" by holding down the power button and the volume down button for about 10 seconds. I've been told this is essentially the same thing as a battery pull. See if that gets you back up and running.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I also have a Razr and since I cannot figure out to start my own thread I am writing it on here!

My phone was working normally this morning, I updated the software it asked me to update and I got to work and the green light was blinking for notifications. I hit the side button as I usually do to turn on the screen, and nothing is happening. I have tried touching a few of the buttons, I tried holding in the side button, I tried plugging it into a charger. Nothing is working. It's like the phone died or froze... but the green light still blinks in the corner. I have only had this phone for two weeks!
You need to do a hard reset. Hold down the power button and the volume down rocker for 10 seconds until the phone begins to reboot, then release the buttons. You won't loose apps or data...it is not a factory reset.

thepeskydingo

Reaction score
I would say you got a bad battery... This sounds like the exact same thing that happened to me with my Droid 1. They replaced my phone and told me to keep my battery and the problem still existed. Once i got a new battery the problem went away... if your factory reset doesnt work then you need a new battery.

OP
D

donnie5336

Reaction score
I think I may have fixed my battery bug. Before I did a factory reset I wanted to try a couple of things first. I uninstalled all of my downloaded apps (it wasn't many) and plugged my phone in at work with the charger that came with it, and left it plugged in all day. I got home yesterday around 5:30pm. With moderate use yesterday evening and then the phone sitting idle overnight, I had 14 hours on my battery this morning with 30% remaining. I'm thinking it was the weather/clock widget I had for my homescreen. I have my apps back and a different widget for weather/clock and it still seems to be running fine. Funny though, the widget never showed up in battery usage. Maybe they dont? Never-the-less, it seems to be lightyears better now and I'm very pleased. Thanks for all the help!

And for the record, the widget I had was "Sense Analog Clock Widget" from Factory Widgets. Now I am running "Fancy Widgets" by Android Does. Still unsure if this was the problem but all I know is it's lasting a lot longer now. :biggrin:

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I think I may have fixed my battery bug. Before I did a factory reset I wanted to try a couple of things first. I uninstalled all of my downloaded apps (it wasn't many) and plugged my phone in at work with the charger that came with it, and left it plugged in all day. I got home yesterday around 5:30pm. With moderate use yesterday evening and then the phone sitting idle overnight, I had 14 hours on my battery this morning with 30% remaining. I'm thinking it was the weather/clock widget I had for my homescreen. I have my apps back and a different widget for weather/clock and it still seems to be running fine. Funny though, the widget never showed up in battery usage. Maybe they dont? Never-the-less, it seems to be lightyears better now and I'm very pleased. Thanks for all the help!

And for the record, the widget I had was "Sense Analog Clock Widget" from Factory Widgets. Now I am running "Fancy Widgets" by Android Does. Still unsure if this was the problem but all I know is it's lasting a lot longer now. :biggrin:
Yeah, there are a number of widgets that look nice and do nice things but they can be a real drain on your battery. I don't have a weather widget on any screen for that very reason. I have WeatherBug but it is never running. If I want weather info I start it, get the information I want then close it. Hope things continue to work out for you.