OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I believe what you are experiencing is a side effect of switching to ART. I experienced this myself. There are a few threads in this forum, and a few other forums, describing the same experience. IIRC, the issue relates to the implementation of ART in the Turbo system software, thereby not allowing a large number of applications to upgrade. FWIW, ART worked very well on my Droid Maxx, previously. However, not on this device. If you switch back to Dalvik, this annoyance will subside.
OK, that explains it. An interesting tidbit though...ART is actually working great on my Turbo and it's also using significantly less power.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It depends on the device. As I am not a developer - I am an engineer, however - I presume there is an issue related to the read-only system partition on certain devices which prevents built-in apps from upgrading during the ART run time switch over process. Therefore, upon reboot, the system attempts to recompile the apps for the new run time without success. Once the software has been updated to 5.0x or 5.1, the developers will have recompiled the built in apps to support the new run time, and user installed apps will continue to function as expected.

My 2013 Droid Maxx was able to run ART without issue. Frankly, if I could have my Droid Maxx, with the 1080p screen from a Moto X 2014, I would have no need for the Turbo. The 4.4.4 software on the Maxx was stable, quick, and responsive. And, the Maxx had VOLTE, as well as simultaneous voice and data without VOLTE enabled. The Turbo is a great device, but much of the horsepower seems excessive for business use. And, some of the system changes made from its predecessor seem like a regression. However, I am continuing to use it with success.

End of rant. ;-)

@droiddave1, I have to echo your sentiments regarding the MAXX. it's truly a great phone but with just a couple shortcomings. IMHO, if it had a faster processor, better screen, more RAM, and perhaps a better camera it would have been perfect. I would have even settled for just a faster processor and more RAM. The Turbo is certainly a step up in many respects but the removal of the second antenna in preparation for VOLTE only, was a slight disappointment.

If there was only one thing I could change regarding the Turbo it would be to add the second antenna back for SVDO over CDMA/LTE. LTE in my area is OK at and near my home, but just about everywhere else I travel is great. I have seen dropped calls on VOLTE, but just a couple in the past weeks so it's not a huge issue.

Fortunately Verizon is installing a mini tower only a couple blocks from my home on a telephone pole. They began installation on Monday much to my pleasure. It's a standard Triad configuration and ironically one of the three antennas points directly at my house! I asked the installers if it was Verizon and their response was a definite yes so I'm looking forward to when they throw the switch.

A lot of people are down on the capacitive buttons on the Turbo but personally I prefer that they are always there and always visible. On screen buttons fade out and so to make a selection requires two presses... One to activate or display the buttons and the second to actually press the button. I realize it would allow for the phone display to be longer or for the phone to be shorter but the display is the right size for my needs and the phone is only minimally longer than my MAXX is.

Overall this phone is a beast and I'm very pleased with it. The lack of SVDO for the couple weeks was a very minor inconvenience. The camera is more than adequate for my needs. Battery life is exceptional and lag is non-existent.

JDH

Reaction score
I switched to ART and everything looked the same, apps all running as usual then net morning at bestbuy it just locked up. Completely non responsive, had to push and hold power and home button together to get back. I switched back to dalvik, all is well.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have confirmed @droiddave1 is correct. When I reboot, the OS goes through the apps upgrading process again for about 168 apps. Since I have a good number more apps than that, 201 in my app tray alone the explanation that it's the read only system level apps it's trying to upgrade makes complete sense... All the other apps upgraded immediately after the first change from Dalvik to ART.

BTW, I've not suffered any issues with ART yet, but if I do I'll report here. The battery life for me has been much better.

Last edited:

droiddave1

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear you were able to identify it. I certainly have been enjoying my Turbo lately. I have much of the bloatware disabled, installed Nova and Nine Folders exchange email, and have been stable with about 48 hours of battery life. I do love the screen quality. However, I maintain that for business users of the Maxx, out side of the screen, I see little benefit to upgrade to the Turbo. Nonetheless, I am digging mine!

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear you were able to identify it. I certainly have been enjoying my Turbo lately. I have much of the bloatware disabled, installed Nova and Nine Folders exchange email, and have been stable with about 48 hours of battery life. I do love the screen quality. However, I maintain that for business users of the Maxx, out side of the screen, I see little benefit to upgrade to the Turbo. Nonetheless, I am digging mine!
Well, I tend to agree. Most users won't see a significant increase in performance with the Turbo but that's because they aren't power users like us. I've pushed this thing to the ends and it's performed flawlessly, whereas the MAXX would have stalled, frozen, crashed, FC'd, or reboot.

I have massive RAM left even with over 8 pages of 24 apps each installed, running a VR live wallpaper, lots of widgets, it just won't quit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk