Did any of you consider/look at the Eris before purchasing the Motorola?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Eris is so much more compact and pocketable. Droid feels like you're carrying around a brick in your pocket.

Brick sized/shaped phone = Fail

Eris is so much more compact when you hold both together its amazing, Moto Droid is much less ergonomic.

Eris has HTC Sense UI interface which blows away anything Moto Droid has.

I laugh when people call the Eris slow. Mine runs smooth. I can do anything you guys can on the moto droid. 2.0 will be out for the Eris next month or so.

Eris rules.

So how many times will you have to say that out loud to make you feel better about having the inferior phone compared to the Moto Droid? This is not opinion either, just compare the hardware specs side by side. The Eris was made for those who want to save some money but still have a smartphone. Droid is top of the line right now. Android 2.0 with specs that are on a whole other level. Eris is simply the Droid's little sister. Your post was full of opinions while the rest of us can list facts that show how the Droid is a superior device.

Last edited:

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Also, I don't see any reason to buy a cheap smartphone either. The plan is more expensive, the smartphones are more expensive.

You might as well get the most value and get a smartphone that can give you the most value out of that 30$ extra fee you pay every month just to use it.

I don't want to flame you man, but I seriously don't see how the Eris is a better phone. Not to mention that generally the more popular/better/expensive phone gets better support. Lets face it, the DROID already has 2.0 and the Eris is left in the dust at the moment.

Recognize when a phone is better, even if you don't own it. I don't even own a DROID at the moment but I'm picking mine up tomorrow with an early upgrade because I don't want to wait the extra 4-5 months form y contract to end.

DROID all the way.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Never even considered it. I don't mean this as an insult or to flame but the Eris is too girly. Great phone for chicks no doubt, but for men.....hell no.

Grim I'm assuming your a chick?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The two phones are both decent phones, the Sense UI is already there for you and is pretty good IMO, though a downfall is that for any major updates to the android OS, you have to wait for HTC to put out their own update for the Sense UI. I still like the droid more, better hardware specs, i know there are few issues with cameras, but i didn't buy a phone for the camera, that's what i bought my camera for. While the camera will get better with updates and if it turns into a good camera then, awesome, if not then oh well.

The Eris is more of a sleek design, with curves and to make it feel more like the other HTC's. The droid has a more industrial style to it. To each their own on picking which design they like the most. I also don't like the trackball, it's more of opinion, but when i played with it, it felt cheap and i really just hate trackballs lol. I've also heard that the eris's battery doesn't last nearly as long, big thing in my book. The droid is reported around 8 hours talk time, where the eris is at 4. (I understand this is a varying factor)

The eris also lacks support for higher level SD cards. It comes with an 8GB and only supports up to a 16GB. Where as the droid is 16GB internal, and supports up to 32GB. While this may not be a big thing for some, to me who will upgrade it to 32GB, it's a pretty big problem.

I Will give the eris the native multitouch support, it's something that should have come on the droid, and I hope they come to their senses and put it on. The screen size / resolution is FAR superior in the droid, 3.7 inch 854 x 480 on the droid where as the eris only has a 3.2 inch 320 x 480. Just a TAD bit of a difference. Pretty much everything else is the same.

Kevin8se7en

Reaction score
Eris is so much more compact and pocketable. Droid feels like you're carrying around a brick in your pocket.

Brick sized/shaped phone = Fail

Eris is so much more compact when you hold both together its amazing, Moto Droid is much less ergonomic.

Eris has HTC Sense UI interface which blows away anything Moto Droid has.

I laugh when people call the Eris slow. Mine runs smooth. I can do anything you guys can on the moto droid. 2.0 will be out for the Eris next month or so.

Eris rules.

Im sorry but that's false. It's more compact to such a tiny extent that it's not even worth mentioning. I don't consider 0.03-0.17 inches to be noticeable... thats like not even 1 millimeter to not even half a centimeter. Half a centimeter is probably about as wide as these 2 underscores __ as long as your viewing it on an everyday computer screen. lol

I'm glad you like the Eris, but the Droid is Verizon's flagship phone for a reason. They Eris is more like the T-Mobile My Touch.

darreno1

Reaction score
Both of my previous phones had multi-touch and I find myself wanting to pinch zoom with the Droid sometimes but to be honest, while it's nice to have (and it probably will come at some point), it's not needed in IMO. The Droid's tap zoom and onscreen zoom buttons are very effective and gets the job done quite well.

The Eris and Hero are the same phones from I understand and I had a good look at the Hero before jumping over to the Droid. For me the biggest issues with the Hero were the speed and lack of a physical keyboard. Although in retrospect, I could probably have lived without the pk, the sluggishness I could not. With some apps going, moving around in the UI became a little of a chore sometimes. And I came from a phone that was pretty sluggish so I was not going to go through that again. Other than those things, the phone was decent.

G

Grimster

Im sorry but that's false. It's more compact to such a tiny extent that it's not even worth mentioning. I don't consider 0.03-0.17 inches to be noticeable... thats like not even 1 millimeter to not even half a centimeter. Half a centimeter is probably about as wide as these 2 underscores __ as long as your viewing it on an everyday computer screen. lol

I'm glad you like the Eris, but the Droid is Verizon's flagship phone for a reason. They Eris is more like the T-Mobile My Touch.
LOLZ!!!!!
It is 100% clear you have never even seen the Eris and moto droid in real life. You cant make up your own reality and believe it. Thats not a way to live life. The Eris is incredibly more compact and pocketable. Go to the store and see for yourself. The difference is shocking.

Again, you cant create your own reality and think that it is real. You have never even see these phones in real life so please dont post when you dont know.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOLZ!!!!!
It is 100% clear you have never even seen the Eris and moto droid in real life. You cant make up your own reality and believe it. Thats not a way to live life. The Eris is incredibly more compact and pocketable. Go to the store and see for yourself. The difference is shocking.

Again, you cant create your own reality and think that it is real. You have never even see these phones in real life so please dont post when you dont know.

While do i accept that as your opinion, facts are facts, just because it LOOKS more compact doesn't mean it really is. As already stated:

ERIS: 4.45H x 2.19W x 0.51D
VS
DROID: 4.56H x 2.36W x 0.54D

You can tell by easy numbers that what your seeing is just the design differences in the phone, one more rounded, one more industrial. That small margin between the height and width differences is minimal at best.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

LOLZ!!!!!

Apparently you live in your own alternate reality. We have cold, hard numbers to back up the fact that the droid is much faster and only marginally bigger than the Eris. That doesn't make the eris a bad phone, but please don't try to say that its even in the same class, much less better than, the droid...

G

Grimster

LOLZ!!!!!

Apparently you live in your own alternate reality. We have cold, hard numbers to back up the fact that the droid is much faster and only marginally bigger than the Eris. That doesn't make the eris a bad phone, but please don't try to say that its even in the same class, much less better than, the droid...
Simply too funny!!!! You also obviously have not seen both in real life. Go to the store and view both phones. The Eris total volume is FAR less due to tapered back side and edges. Total volume of the Eris is FAR smaller than the droid. The stupid numbers you posted dont account for how tapered the phone dimension are unlike the droid which is full body brick.

Again, you obviously hev not seen both phones....reality is not what you make believe it is...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Grim do some research on spatial reasoning.

check wikipedia or google

Spatial-temporal reasoning is the ability to visualize spatial patterns and mentally manipulate them over a time-ordered sequence of spatial transformations

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok this is merely difference of opinions and it stops here. No more bickering.

Grimster, This is just my opinion, i have seen both and held them both. I understand what your saying about the edges. That is your opinion. You like the phone, and you have reason to, it's a good phone. I won't knock it. I think the droid is much better for me, and that's why i have it :). I'm glad that you like the eris.

Lafond

Reaction score
Just based off of internet pics ad reviews, I was all set to get the Eris. Pinch zoom, UI, and looks is what got me. I played with each one for about an hour and the Droid was much faster and overall a better phone for me. I tried hard to give the Eris a chance, but it just didn't work for me. Maybe the passion will combine looks & power.

droidfanboy

Reaction score
i went to the store focused on buying the motorola droid, i mean i picked up the eris and moved some stuff around for 30 secinds literally and that was it, and the only reason it got that much time because there was a guy on the droid disply phone at the time. i never really gave eris a fair shake.