Did any of you consider/look at the Eris before purchasing the Motorola?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by loboblanco, Nov 6, 2009.

1. loboblanco

loboblanco New Member

Did any of you consider/look at the Eris before purchasing the Motorola?
  2. LadyTourmaline

LadyTourmaline New Member

I checked out the Eris but lack of physical keyboard was the deal breaker.
  3. loboblanco

loboblanco New Member

Do you like the Droid's keyboard? I have a Curve with raised and seperated keys so I'm a little worried about the droid's flay packed together keys.
  4. LadyTourmaline

LadyTourmaline New Member

I like my long fingernails but they have been known to slip off the keys of my Curve adding extra characters. I also didn't get a Storm because with the long fingernails the heat-sensitive pad was constantly misreading the key I was aiming for; the iPod touch wasn't much better. After all that I'm not very worried about Droid's keyboard, without curved/raised keys my typing might just get better.
  5. mcb

mcb New Member

I prefer the Droids keyboard to the touchscreen on my iPod Touch and over the physical keyboard on my old Voyager.

I think the Droid's touchscreen kb is easier to use than Apple's as well.

YMMV, of course.
  6. jcstarr

jcstarr New Member

Same here...
  7. Infernalblaze

Infernalblaze New Member

i looked at the Eris and like most people have said the lack a physical keyboard is what made me not watn to get it. also i think that the on screen keyboard for the droid is a lot better but thank god this HTC touchscreen keyboard isn't like the ones i had for at&t those were horrible and small keys in landscape mode grr i hated those phones lol sorry for the rant lol
  8. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

I had a look at the Eris but its pretty obvious its a cheaper stripped down phone for people with a lower budget.

I honestly think its a waste, because if you can afford the extra 30/month and a smartphone, you should get one that will give you the most for your money. The DROID might be more expensive, but the extra features make it worth it in my opinion.

I really didn't like that other phone, it even upset me that they make them seem so smiliar in the store, putting them side-by-side and calling them both android phones, then calling the morotola phone a DROID (so similar to android). I can see how it could be confusing for new users or people who never used smartphones before.
  9. Grimster

Grimster New Member

The Eris is a better phone IMO if you dont need the large screen.

1. Sense UI interface on the Eris blows away the Moto Droid. Its revolutionary compared to the interface of the moto droid.

2. Eris feels like a dream in your hand and much more compact.

3. The moto droid looks retarded due to the top screen not full covering the bottom of the phone.

4. I can do anything on the eris that the moto droid does and I have the superior Sense UI interface and easily fits in my pocket.
  10. Kevin8se7en

Kevin8se7en New Member

Nope. I looked at it for like 2 seconds and knew it wasn't for me.

As for the keyboard... it's not BAD... at all... it just takes getting use to. Once you get use to it.. it's pretty good. I prefer it over my Old LG Voyager but not as much as my old Samsung Glyde or Rogue. The Glyde sucked ass but it had a great keyboard.

When Sony and Nintendo came out with joysticks on their gaming console controllers, people said it was weord and hard to use... and then they got use to it and now everyone loves it... similar to the Droids keyboard. The onscreen one is great too though.
  11. Kevin8se7en

Kevin8se7en New Member

lol

The UI is personal taste. Although the Eris may have a better one, they both work well regardless.

much more compact?
    ERIS: 4.45H x 2.19W x 0.51D
    VS
    DROID: 4.56H x 2.36W x 0.54D

so the Droid is 0.11 inches taller, 0.17 inches wider and 0.03 inches deeper... unless your holding both phones side by side, you can't notice the difference. They are the same size IMO. I also think the Droid feels a lot better since it does have some weight to it and doesn't feel "cheap". I wouldn't say the Eris feels cheap by any means, but the droid feels more expensive and better made IMO.

I personally like the way the Droid looks. I like the raised screen... it's a design element few if any phones have. The Eris looks like every other HTC phone... not bad but "boring" IMO. It's all personal taste though.

Again, the UI is personal taste. I don't really care.. they both work well... and they both fit in your pocket BTW.

In the end, IMO the Droid is better than the Eris, partly due to the keyboard. That being said, I think their value or "Bang for Buck" is the same due to the Eris' great price.
  12. thegipper

thegipper New Member

If the only difference was the physical keyboard maybe i would have considered it. 3.2 inch screen = fail, android 1.5 = fail, and slower processor. Eris feels like it should have been released 3-4 months ago.

I do however like some aspects of senseUI, but i'm sure in time i can get every aspect of it i like on my droid.
  13. Grimster

Grimster New Member

Eris is so much more compact and pocketable. Droid feels like you're carrying around a brick in your pocket.

Brick sized/shaped phone = Fail

Eris is so much more compact when you hold both together its amazing, Moto Droid is much less ergonomic.

Eris has HTC Sense UI interface which blows away anything Moto Droid has.

I laugh when people call the Eris slow. Mine runs smooth. I can do anything you guys can on the moto droid. 2.0 will be out for the Eris next month or so.

Eris rules.
  14. mwinne

mwinne New Member

Congrats, sounds like you found the perfect phone for you.

So have I :motdroidhoriz:
  15. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

Most of those are preference statements. I actually like the look of the droid. The Eris does not have the option of a physical keyboard, and it lacks on a lot of hardware specs too. There is a reason its cheaper than the droid.

Of course, im not saying the phone is bad, but I really don't see how its better than the droid.
  16. JhankG

JhankG New Member

So how many times will you have to say that out loud to make you feel better about having the inferior phone compared to the Moto Droid? This is not opinion either, just compare the hardware specs side by side. The Eris was made for those who want to save some money but still have a smartphone. Droid is top of the line right now. Android 2.0 with specs that are on a whole other level. Eris is simply the Droid's little sister. Your post was full of opinions while the rest of us can list facts that show how the Droid is a superior device.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  17. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

Also, I don't see any reason to buy a cheap smartphone either. The plan is more expensive, the smartphones are more expensive.

You might as well get the most value and get a smartphone that can give you the most value out of that 30$ extra fee you pay every month just to use it.

I don't want to flame you man, but I seriously don't see how the Eris is a better phone. Not to mention that generally the more popular/better/expensive phone gets better support. Lets face it, the DROID already has 2.0 and the Eris is left in the dust at the moment.

Recognize when a phone is better, even if you don't own it. I don't even own a DROID at the moment but I'm picking mine up tomorrow with an early upgrade because I don't want to wait the extra 4-5 months form y contract to end.

DROID all the way.
  18. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Never even considered it. I don't mean this as an insult or to flame but the Eris is too girly. Great phone for chicks no doubt, but for men.....hell no.

Grim I'm assuming your a chick?
  19. JhankG

JhankG New Member

:rofl3:

10 characters
  20. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

The two phones are both decent phones, the Sense UI is already there for you and is pretty good IMO, though a downfall is that for any major updates to the android OS, you have to wait for HTC to put out their own update for the Sense UI. I still like the droid more, better hardware specs, i know there are few issues with cameras, but i didn't buy a phone for the camera, that's what i bought my camera for. While the camera will get better with updates and if it turns into a good camera then, awesome, if not then oh well.

The Eris is more of a sleek design, with curves and to make it feel more like the other HTC's. The droid has a more industrial style to it. To each their own on picking which design they like the most. I also don't like the trackball, it's more of opinion, but when i played with it, it felt cheap and i really just hate trackballs lol. I've also heard that the eris's battery doesn't last nearly as long, big thing in my book. The droid is reported around 8 hours talk time, where the eris is at 4. (I understand this is a varying factor)

The eris also lacks support for higher level SD cards. It comes with an 8GB and only supports up to a 16GB. Where as the droid is 16GB internal, and supports up to 32GB. While this may not be a big thing for some, to me who will upgrade it to 32GB, it's a pretty big problem.

I Will give the eris the native multitouch support, it's something that should have come on the droid, and I hope they come to their senses and put it on. The screen size / resolution is FAR superior in the droid, 3.7 inch 854 x 480 on the droid where as the eris only has a 3.2 inch 320 x 480. Just a TAD bit of a difference. Pretty much everything else is the same.
Search tags for this page

what does the sun look like from eris