Dialer question

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I HATE the dialer. I click on the phone icon, and it brings up speed dial. What I want is to have the dialer/keypad when I launch the phone app. Can't figure out how to set that up.

To make matters worse, if I click on the keypad icon at the bottom, I just get a blank screen with a phone icon at the bottom...if I hit the back button and he keypad icon again, THEN I get a dialpad. There's also the "type a phone number" search bar at the top...click in it and it brings up defaul alpha keyboard instead of numeric.

Am I missing something or does this annoy the heck out of everyone else?

24c

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID TURBO
Sometimes I press phone icon I get dial pad, sometimes Speed Dial.
If the dial pad is up and I go back to HOME, I get the dialer next time.
Now I can't figure out how to get the Speed Dial back - I like that
New toys, ya' gotta love'm.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Touch the blank spot on top of dialer screen and the speed dial will pop back up.

24c

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID TURBO
Thanks.

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
so it's not just me, Google pulled an Apple on the dialer basically saying "this is how you will make phone calls"?

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
It works okay for me or I've gotten use to it at least. I'm only bugged about my preset speed dial list getting unwanted additions after I call someone in my contacts list. Does anyone know how to eliminate having a dialed number added to the list of speed dials?

24c

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID TURBO
Hold down on the contact's icon, then slide it up to REMOVE at the top pf the screen.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
There is another speed dial option available. It doesn't solve the Dialer issue as such, but it is what I use instead of the Phone/Dialer for who I call most often. There is a "Direct Dial" widget that you can get to by long-holding on your Home screen. You can assign any contact to a Direct Dial widget, and you can have as many Direct Dial widgets as you like, which are stack-able. I have a "Speed" folder on the Home screen with 12 Direct Dial contacts. It works very well for me.

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hold down on the contact's icon, then slide it up to REMOVE at the top pf the screen.
Yes. Thanks, but I know how to remove it once it shows up. I'm trying to prevent the addition of the lesser used number from showing up in the speed dial list to begin with.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes. Thanks, but I know how to remove it once it shows up. I'm trying to prevent the addition of the lesser used number from showing up in the speed dial list to begin with.
Don't know of a method to turn off that "feature". It adds the most frequently called numbers to that list and send to think that the most recent call constitutes a frequently called number. At least it adds it to the bottom.

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Don't know of a method to turn off that "feature". It adds the most frequently called numbers to that list and send to think that the most recent call constitutes a frequently called number. At least it adds it to the bottom.
The caller info doesn't add to the bottom in the dialer app for me. It adds it in alpha order I believe (dialer app only). In the people/contacts app it adds the recently dialed to the bottom of 'favorites'. Were you thinking of the people app or does your dialer app really add to the bottom?

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So I installed "Reactiv Dialer" and I like it better, albeit it's pretty ugly so may get the premium version with dark theme.

Launches with dialpad already shown, and lets you show or hide favorites (shows 4 favorites on start-up screen). Also shows the last few recent calls, with a toggle right there to show the call log.

Only downside is it's a T9 dialer and I prefer to select from a list of contacts,especially when you have multiple numbers for a contact