Dialer not working - rooted phone

mystical

Reaction score
Followed instructions on how to root phone. Have frozen some apps in Titanium Backup Pro. For some reason my dialer is not working, but only in working part :

When I hit the Dialer button, these are the tabs that pop up: Dialer, Recent, Contacts and Favorites. Dialer works fine, as does Recent. However, when I hit the Contacts or Favorites button, the next screen appears, and then this is what happens: I try to choose someone to call and then the phone takes me right back out to the home screen.

The only thing I can figure is that I am somehow missing part of the application for the dialer, or the dialer needs to use an app that I froze. Does anyone know what all the dialer needs in order to work properly?

BTW, this is my first attempt at rooting a phone, so a little kindness, pretty pretty please. I do like to tinker with my toys, but not sure what I did to mess this one up.

I am not using any ROMS, but I am using ADW Launcher EX, if that helps.

Thanks for any help.:biggrin:

Savagerun

Reaction score
Yeah you definitely froze something you need. I would just start unfreezing stuff till the dialer works. Start with the apps in red.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Savagerun

Reaction score
Once you get it figured out i would recommend you make a nandroid backup of your phone. It can come in handy if you mess something up and can't fix it then you could always restore that backup and be right where you started at. Im assuming you have a Droidx? If so you can use droid2 bootstrap to make a nandroid backup. You could also consider installing a custom rom which already have the bloat removed.

OP
M

mystical

Reaction score
Found some of the culprits - though I do not understand WHY these apps have to remain unfrozen in order for the dialer to work: Verizon Apps, Social Messaging, Social Networking, and Social Status. It's pulling from my Backup Assistant contacts account, so why those four apps, I'm not sure, but then again, I'm not a coder for apps, so .... but, I guess in a way it does make sense.

On to better things. I guess I will have to educate myself as to what a nandroid backup is. I made a backup through titanium backup pro - wth is a nandroid? And yes, I am using a Droid X. I really want to understand what I am doing on this phone because I am getting really excited to root my Toshiba Thrive next. Thanks for the help. :biggrin:

Savagerun

Reaction score
What's your system version? To find out go in your settings then press about phone and see what it is. Im guessing either 4.5.602 or 4.5.605?

Savagerun

Reaction score
If your on either of the versions i posted above which you probably are then your on gingerbread and to make a nandroid backup you'll need to get the droid2 bootstrap app (i know you have a Droid X but you'll use droid2 bootstrap) its just an updated version of DX bootstrap and works better on gingerbread. This link will explain what a nandroid backup is http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-perform-and-restore-a-nandroid-backup/ disregard in that link where it says you'll use rom manager to make a backup. Its very simple to do. I can walk you thru it if you need help.
Edit... I'll just tell you now how to make a backup. You'll open your Droid 2 bootstrap app and press bootstrap recovery and when it says success you'll press ok then press reboot recovery. That will get you in clockwork recovery. Then you'll use your volume button to scroll down to backup and restore and select it with your camera button. Then you'll get more options and you'll just select backup with your camera button again. It will then start the backup and it will take between 5 to 10 min to complete. Once it says backup complete just select reboot system. That's it!

Last edited:
OP
M

mystical

Reaction score
Between this thread and one that I found on another forum, I think I got it. This is what I did: I basically ended up doing a factory reset, then rooted the phone again. Then I pressed the update button by mistake and took the 4.5.605 update and had to reroot the phone. Then I followed your instructions Savagerun for doing the Nandroid backup (thank you so much for that, btw). Now, I am going to reinstall my clocking app, my root explorer, titanium pro, and the rest of my apps, after finding a rom. I think I am going to be happy with this and now that I have rooted it a couple of times, I understand the process. It makes a lot more sense. If I understand correctly, flashing a ROM won't be so difficult now and when there is an update, it will be easier to remove everything and restore the backup. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe I am starting to get the hang of this. :biggrin:

Savagerun

Reaction score
You've been busy lol... Your doing fine. A couple more things you'll need to do before installing a rom. Go in your settings then in accounts and press your google account and make sure everything is synced including contacts. Also make sure your apps are backed up with titanium. Im at work right now but as soon as i get a chance i'll fill you in on some more things. I'll get you a couple links on some great roms then you can decide which one you want to try and i can help you with installing them if you want.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Two of the most popular roms are liberty and vortex but there are more also but i always recommend those two. Here's liberty http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10655-rom-liberty3-v20-for-the-droid-x-1128-sunday-bloody-sunday/ that's my favorite but Vortex is also excellent. Here's Vortex http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/vortex/39892-rom-vortex-rc1.html you can read the description of both and see if it's something you'd like to try. I would also recommend getting dolphin hd browser from the market. It's free and works great for downloading rom zips to your phone. The stock browser sometimes doesn't work to well. And always if you can use wifi when your downloading roms to your phone. You'll use droid2 bootstrap to install the rom you want.