Dialer App is killing my battery; FAST

mjkh84

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Casio G'zOne Commando C771
Hello all,

Name's Mike and I am new to the forum and new to android phones. I was holding out with my Casio G'zOne Rock flip for quite a while, and finally after updating my Verizon plan and adding a bit of data decided I might as well utilize it and purchased a Casio G'zOne Commando C771. From the start I've had issues. The first day the battery seemed decent, running about 12 hours before needing a charge. Since then, I have been lucky to get 6 hours out of the battery.

As soon as I make a phone call, the Dialer app begins running at nearly 90% battery usage or more, up to 100%, literally slaughtering the battery in the process. The phone will die in 5-6 hours without doing literally anything. I don't even turn on the screen and the phone dies that quickly. Interestingly, the only way I can get the dialer to stop slaughtering the battery is to reboot the phone.

This is unrealistic, and makes me want to reactivate my Rock flip. I am dependent on my phone as it is my only phone connection and having it die in 5-6 hours is unacceptable. I searched the internet high and low about this issue and have seen that it was a real issue on HTC phones, but I have been unable to; A. Find a solution for the dialer app running the battery to death after phone calls, and B. Any specific pertinent information to the issue on a Casio Commando.

With that said, perhaps I have not found the correct answer in my searching and maybe someone here can help me before I test the ruggedness of this new Casio Commando by running it over with my truck. Thanks in advance.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined us.

Unfortunately, I personally am not familiar with any Casio phone, but it does seem odd to me that the dialer would be using so much battery.

First, how much time are you spending talking on the phone?

Second, it's important to note that the battery usage stats are actually showing you a percentage of a percentage. Meaning, if you've got 50% battery left and is says "app x" has used 50%, that means that app x has used 50% of the battery that's been used. Not that app x has used 50% of the battery.

Hope that make sense. Doesn't help your problem if the phone's still dying quickly, but I wanted to clarify that point because a lot of people have misconceptions about the battery usage stats when they first get one of these phones.

OP
M

mjkh84

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yesterday I had one phone call that lasted about 30 seconds. After the phone call dialer would never shut down again and the battery died in 4 hours. If I reboot the phone after EVERY phone call made/recieved, it closes down dialer; but that is a PITA. The only thing I've been able to uncover is that it was an android bug that was giving HTC phones a ton of trouble. I'm having the same exact symptoms.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry I for the delay and the fact that no one else seems to have an answer for you. I found a workaround elsewhere that might work for you, if you're willing to give it a try. There's a more advanced one that requires you to be rooted and do some editing of the build prop, so I'd like to start with this more simple fix and see if you notice any difference.

I found a thread like you were talking about where users had this issue with htc phones on another forum and it makes sense that this fix might help you if the proximity sensor is what's causing your problem, as it seems that's what caused it on those phones.

Hi, here's a bit of an update for those that are interested, even though the proximity sensor has been disabled for phone calls after adding the line to build.prop, here is a work around to allow the proxy to turn off screen again.
Down load "proximity screen off" from the market, in the settings, select enable during calls only.
Now on my phone the other settings seam to be a bit screwy so you'll have to play with them to suite your device for the way you want it to work.
I am still testing to see how battery life is, but so far its looking good.
If you feel like it, I would appreciate some feedback regarding these mods.
Thanks

Here's a link to the app they suggested: Proximity Screen Off Lite - Android Apps on Google Play

As the above quote says, you may have to do some tweaking to the app's settings, but if it's the sensor that's causing this problem for you, you should hopefully see a difference.

OP
M

mjkh84

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks a lot for the help. Unfortunately, after Verizon suggested a factory reset, the phone became even more problematic; not allowing me to even log into Google accounts anymore. I'm switching back to my old G'zOne Rock flipper for now. Going to look at a Samsung S5 active model that's got some water resistance capabilities. Casio really let me down with that Commando. I can see now why they no longer make smart phones. Functionality on that phone was terrible.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I didn't want to say anything, but I remember hearing about those phones when they first came out, but that was about it. They never really took off and it sounds like they don't support them with updates to fix errors like that.

Hope the S5 active fits your needs! Don't be a stranger around here now that you've gone through the trouble of signing up!

OP
M

mjkh84

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'll be around, lol, I still have no idea how to use a new phone, haha

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well we've got plenty of knowledgeable members here, especially if you go with a Samsung phone, so feel free to ask away if you can't find answers to your questions elsewhere on the forum!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum @mjkh84 ! I purchased the original Casio GzOne Boulder flip phone when it first came out in 2008. It was the device I upgraded to from my Moto Razr v3 and before finally jumping on the smartphone bandwagon with my Galaxy S Fascinate. I thoroughly enjoyed my GzOne device. It was crazy rugged and did pretty much anything a smartphone could do, minus Play Store apps....which was fine for me, at the time. It was a great device to take camping/fishing/ snowboarding, and I never had to worry about it. It never gave me any problems during the 18 months I had it, but I never followed the Casio line after jumping on-board the Samsung train.
Good luck with the S5 if you decide to go that route. That's my current device (minus the "active" part) and I've been very happy with mine.