Dial Like Windows Mobile?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
For about 20 minutes in my life I owned a Samsung Omnia, and despite how much I hated it, I liked the contact and phone manager.

When punching numbers into the keypad, it would present the user with contacts. For example:

I could start spelling the name of the contact I wanted, or dial the number -- 833 would show both the number 833, but also any of my contacts with the containing the same character pattern....

I dont know if this makes any sense, but I miss this feature, and it would be really nice to call Mike by typing 6453 into the phone keypad.

Thanks in advance.

mcinvaille

Reaction score
Number Entry for calls

I agree to the convenience of this capability. My BB did the same thing and I miss that. I do like the shortcuts that you can make for texting and dialing but i totally dislike the call log duplicating numbers after dialing them and the issue you mention. Maybe an app in the future (or currently; I couldn't find one however).

OP
LtKen

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad someone understands what I'm talking about, despite my awful description.

Any coders want to take this up? I dont have the time right now to delve into Android development. Anyone working for Google want to read this post and do it for us?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
That was a convenient feature of WM ROMs at first buy I've since got away from it. 90% of the time I am calling someone with a shortcut on my screen. Besides, after years of using auto-dialers and Voice Dial I don't really know anyone's number (but WM would recognize the keypads as letters so it would look up the names too). But still I find the contacts manager (which is similar to the one we cooked into our WM ROM) is faster than typing the letters of the name anyway. But it would be cool for someone to implement just to make it easier on future WM users.

techguru

Reaction score
The feature on WinMo is called Smartdial. There is an app that adds this to Android, unfortunately, it is not yet working on the Droid

Easy Dial Pro for Android :: Tools Application - AndroidZoom.com

However, if you open the contacts and then hit your search button and just start entering the first or last name, it will find the person within a few keystrokes.

The only thing I liked better about smart dial is that it also searched the numbers at the same time, so if I was dialing a number, and wasn't sure if the person was in my contact list, it would find them if they were.

Alan

M

Matth3w

Is there an app that condenses your call log? So that entries in and out and multiple in a row (if you are calling a number and they are busy for example) don't all show up as extra calls?

OP
LtKen

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
LtKen

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The dialer on the Droid Eris does this as well. To bad we can't copy that dialer program over to the Droid

Who says it cant be done? Does anyone have access to an Eris they can root?

strobez395

Reaction score
I mean they have this function for text messaging so if you could get that code it would be easy to transfer over to dialing one would assume.

Sal R.

Reaction score
Nubdial

Good stuff and matches the Droid nicely.

Last edited: