DF Member's Review: Marshmallow

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
marshmallow_statue_making_of-630x315.jpg

Almost a week has gone by since Google uploaded Marshmallow 6.0 to their servers. Developers are digging through the source, devices are getting OTAs, and manufacturers are developing their own updates. But there are many of us who have been running 6.0 for a few days now and I want to get the your full review. Tell us your likes, dislikes, bugs you have experience, and things you would like to see Google incorporate in a future software (ie theme manager <-------really Google, HTC been including it since cupcake on the HTC Hero, it is about time users are able to at least choose between light and dark theme. Just saying).

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Marshmallow has been overdue like jellybean to ICS, the improvements are mainly under the hood. Here are a few improvements I have noticed.

• Battery life has improved a bit where before I was looking for a charger after a long 8 hour day of heavy use for a bump charge, now I am able to leave the charger at home.
  • USB (external storage) access native. Before I would have to root and download an app just to read files off of a usb stick, something my Note 2 did natively. But finally Google stepped up and made this stock.
  • Google Now keeps getting better: I actually like the Google Now launcher and think it adds to the experience. I know other may feel indifferent toward G Now and the good thing about this os is you can make a change.
  • To Google or not to Google: If you like Google Services then you can have it or you can choose an alternate route. So for those who chose the route of AOSP because they just felt like Google is putting too much of their bloat on your phone then you can actually load up with out Google and choose alternate apps and services.
Bugs:
I am waiting before I actually call it a bug but I noticed my sound stopped working when I exited navigation (maps) and I had to reboot to get it back. Again this could have been a minor hiccup so will have to wait and see if it happens again. As far as any other bugs I will have to wait and list them later as I have not encountered any yet.

Dislikes:

• Theme Manager: Really Google? You scrap the dark/light theme from Preview 1 because (I am guessing bugs) of what? I find it hard that HTC managed to incorporate a theme manager of a few basic themes since the donut days and Google could not even kick out a basic dark theme option.
  • Data Backup: I read that this option is actually available now in 6.0 if the app supports it. Whether the app supports it or not it has long been time to be able to backup my data natively with android without having to root. Again a garage dev managed to supply an app that does that since donut and here we are on marshmallow and this is not native.
  • Bloatware: Ok we have ragged on the carriers and the oems for their bloat and now Google is starting to get crazy with it. One of the reasons I chose a Nexus and stock android was because I got tired of the bloat. Google, please stop doing what the others are doing. If I want newspaper and books I know how to find it. Even if you preinstall these apps, I should be able to REMOVE THEM. Google I would hate to have to start a bloatware petition against you. With that said I will have to admit that majority of the Google apps I actually use.
Overall I really like the improvements with marshmallow and feel it is a few features and options away from being the one software that you may actually not mind running without having to root. Those that want a software that has improved in every area will love 6.0. I hope google continues to build upon M and is able to keep making strides forward.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Is it true that you long press the home button for Google Now on a Nexus device? I know it's that way on my Note 4, but I thought stock android still had the swipe up from home to launch GN feature?

I'm reading an in-depth review of Marshmallow and they say that long pressing home now launches On Tap and there's no way to launch straight up Google Now without returning to the homescreen? Can you confirm that? I had just assumed that they made it a long press to use On Tap because you could still swipe up from home to access GN in its entirety.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Is it true that you long press the home button for Google Now on a Nexus device? I know it's that way on my Note 4, but I thought stock android still had the swipe up from home to launch GN feature?

Yes. Long press brings up Google now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot, but it really isn't much of an improvement from JB.

The battery life is a bit better, so I will take it.

I too wish that they didn't include all the bloatware. We can always install it if we want, but I hate having to go in and disable 20 things on a "vanilla android phone"...

I hate the integration Chrome... I hate that it tries to connect every damned device... How do I put this delicately... There are times when I might go to a URL or search for something on my home PC, and I do not want that immediately synched to my phone or god forbid my work laptop. Read between the lines there... LOL

And there are ways to disable that auto sych, which I don't know a single person that ever wanted that feature to begin with... but they somehow always come back on, or restart by default, etc... Maybe that is more of a Chrome thing, but it is VERY annoying. ASK ME if I want all of my personal search history or things broadcast to any device that I have... don't just start pushing things without my permission...

I wish that Google would improve the UI a bit. I like the speed and stability, I like the battery life, but it doesn't really look or feel any different than it did from two years ago, apart from slightly updated icons, but even those are getting old...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
How are you liking the permissions manager?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I hate the integration Chrome... I hate that it tries to connect every damned device... How do I put this delicately... There are times when I might go to a URL or search for something on my home PC, and I do not want that immediately synched to my phone or god forbid my work laptop. Read between the lines there... LOL
Doesn't incognito mode take care of that? It'll still sync your bookmarks, but I'm pretty certain I've used incognito mode to look something up on my phone and that URL doesn't later auto-fill on my computer.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doesn't incognito mode take care of that? It'll still sync your bookmarks, but I'm pretty certain I've used incognito mode to look something up on my phone and that URL doesn't later auto-fill on my computer.

I don't want anything synched. There is no benefit in it for me, only potential awkward conversations. LOL

And having to remember to put it in incognito mode is a pain... It is a stupid function that Google wants so that they can track everything that you do and push adverts everywhere you go, but most people don't want or need it. It should be an option, not something you have to keep disabling...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I can give you that it sounds be optional, but I don't sign in at work. Only on my phone, tablets, & personal PC. I, for one, like my links & bookmarks to carry over so I'm not diving out some other device because I can't remember what that site was that I was looking at on it, but I want to check the site out on a different device.

Matter of opinion, but choice (usually) never hurts the end user.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't want anything synched. There is no benefit in it for me, only potential awkward conversations. LOL

And having to remember to put it in incognito mode is a pain... It is a stupid function that Google wants so that they can track everything that you do and push adverts everywhere you go, but most people don't want or need it. It should be an option, not something you have to keep disabling...

If you are really that concerned about your endeavors why not use another browser for it?

example: CM Browser - Fast & Secure - Android Apps on Google Play

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know, I just don't like how Google automatically tries to turn my phone into an extension of my home PC. I have to do that first thing when I install the OS on the phone, is go in and start disabling things and clearing search history and deleting things.... It is very annoying... Why not just ask me during startup, "Do you want to synch this device to your other Chrome devices?"...

I dislike Apple when it tries to do everything for you whether you want/need it or not, and I hate seeing Google going down the same road, that's all...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
It isn't even just the browser... Anything I type into my home computer immediately pops up on Google now widgets and the search bar at the top of my main home screen. I don't want it that tied in... It makes me want to consider an iPhone again... It is becoming more intrusive than Apple ever was... LOL