Devour Camera

DV8

Reaction score
I am very fond of my Devour after only two weeks...keyboard great, good graphics, not as good of sound quality as I have had in the past with other Verizon phones (just switched from Palm pre)...BUT C'MON GUYS...this is the worst camera ever!!! I can't get over how bad it is. I'd decided to simply forget it has a camera feature UNLESS someone can turn me onto a hack or SOMETHING to improve a) color b) brightness c) graininess...AND to make the camera even worse, none of the best photo editing apps to correct these crap camera problems work on 1.6 (unless you can tell me how to do it...that is!)

Yes, I am new here. But if someone in this huge supermarket can point me to the right aisle where I might glimpse a glimmer of hope regarding the camera quality issues I would sing praises and recommend a Saint be named after you immediately!

M

Matth3w

Is the 5X Camera Zoom app available for the Devour on the Market?

RemyL75

Reaction score
Most camera quality issues are hardware-based. While a zoom app might help, it won't fix the overall issue. The camera sucks on the Devour.

M

Matth3w

The camera just about sucks on every phone I've ever seen. There is no replacement for a stand alone camera imo.

Good cameras cost just as much as this entire phone, or most phones for that matter. Even unlocked without a contract. So to expect a 100 dollar phone (if not lower with the Devour, depending where you get it) to perform like 4-600 dollar digital camera is just ludicrous.

RemyL75

Reaction score
The camera just about sucks on every phone I've ever seen. There is no replacement for a stand alone camera imo.

Good cameras cost just as much as this entire phone, or most phones for that matter. Even unlocked without a contract. So to expect a 100 dollar phone (if not lower with the Devour, depending where you get it) to perform like 4-600 dollar digital camera is just ludicrous.

I have to agree with you on that one. But I do expect it to be able to see a barcode clearly lol.

OP
D

DV8

Reaction score
Nope...I don't expect a mobile phone camera to perform like any of my professional digicams (I'm a professional photographer), and I'm not at a loss to always have a pocket sized digicam with me (too bad the camera's card is not the same size as the Devour's of I could simply switch it out and bingo -- send the pic along)...however it is obviously possible for a mobile phone cam to be WAY WAAAAAY better than this phones. For new technology to absolutely suck on the cam is quite an insult, I feel. And....hate to compare...and don't plan to switch...but the iPhone camera is like a miracle from on high compared to the worthless cam stuck on the Devour.

M

Matth3w

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you bought the least expensive, most basic Android device on the entire VZW market. This isn't a shot at you OR the Devour because obviously people will want a more basic phone.

That being said,

...Comparing the iPhone to the Devour is like comparing my Camaro or Corvette to the Cobalt and being pissed that the Cobalt doesn't have all the same features.

I know that's pretty harsh, but your outlook on the matter is just ridiculous. Expecting an iPhone/Droid quality camera on a phone that was marketed as a lesser/less expensive Droid is over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

DV8

Reaction score
Matthew, While I value your opinion and truly feel/know you have a great deal of knowledge and things to share, you must work on your delivery. You are being a dick when you choose to disperse information in the manner you did. Fact. I say this as a mother of three boys who hopes I am teaching them some sort of diplomacy in life. Thankfully, I am not young enough (as perhaps you are) to feel I already know everything.

However, thank you for pointing out the cheap ass error of my ways.

M

Matth3w

Matthew, While I value your opinion and truly feel/know you have a great deal of knowledge and things to share, you must work on your delivery. You are being a dick when you choose to disperse information in the manner you did. Fact. I say this as a mother of three boys who hopes I am teaching them some sort of diplomacy in life. Thankfully, I am not young enough (as perhaps you are) to feel I already know everything.

However, thank you for pointing out the cheap ass error of my ways.
It's not that, but you are coming on here talking about "how horrible this camera is omg I better get an iphone". This is a Droid forum. Most people here don't GAF about the iPhone and are sick of people talking about "well the iPhone does this/that", ESPECIALLY when the comparison is so flawed.

We could sit here and politely go back and forth about how you feel this camera should still be better, etc etc, or I could tell you like it is and be done with it. Yes, I am a little straightforward when I tell people things. But you have no basis to complain about the camera.

Did you read any reviews on the Devour before you bought it? Here is a quote from the VERY FIRST search result on Google:

This phone is not for the aspiring Annie Leibovitz. The 3-megapixel camera failed to take a decent picture; photos consistently appeared dim and unsaturated. There is a handy little button on the side for taking quick photos, but with such abysmal performance, we'd rather tote around a separate point-and-shoot.
If you're a "professional photographer" what did you expect a 3 megapixel camera to look like, especially one attached to the least expensive Android device on the market?

I think 3MP cameras have been out for probably 10 years now. Hell I have a 6+ year old Canon S70 that is 7.1MP. I can get a 3.2MP camera for 28 bucks with free shipping on Pricewatch.com. What kind of pictures would you expect from that camera?

The bottom line is, if you are within your 30 days chalk this one up to a mistake and go buy a Droid from Amazon for less than 50 bucks with a contract. If not, then go find one that is on eBay unlocked.

OP
D

DV8

Reaction score
Matthew, your very worst attributes have surfaced in your rant above. First and foremost, do not misquote others. I did not say any of the things in quotes you attribute to me. Stop being a punkass kid. If you are an adult, act like one; if you have something intelligible to say - say it without the sarcastic hyperbole.

You may think yourself a celebrity here on this forum, but in the world "out there" dear child, you fail miserably. If you do not have knowledge to disperse, keep your anger to yourself and move on. That will truly benefit everyone.

(And, if you wish me to be as big a ***** as you are a dick I will point out that your post above of purchasing a digital camera for $400-600 is laughable in terms of quality or performance. Since you so openly admit you do not have a life, perhaps you should move yourself away from the computer for a bit and try to obtain one. It will do wonders for rounding out your deficient personality. Cheers, darling boy!)

M

Matth3w

Matthew, your very worst attributes have surfaced in your rant above. First and foremost, do not misquote others. I did not say any of the things in quotes you attribute to me. Stop being a punkass kid. If you are an adult, act like one; if you have something intelligible to say - say it without the sarcastic hyperbole.

You may think yourself a celebrity here on this forum, but in the world "out there" dear child, you fail miserably. If you do not have knowledge to disperse, keep your anger to yourself and move on. That will truly benefit everyone.

(And, if you wish me to be as big a ***** as you are a dick I will point out that your post above of purchasing a digital camera for $400-600 is laughable in terms of quality or performance. Since you so openly admit you do not have a life, perhaps you should move yourself away from the computer for a bit and try to obtain one. It will do wonders for rounding out your deficient personality. Cheers, darling boy!)
Quoted for irony.

I know enough about digicams to know that 4-600 bucks is nothing in the digicam world. But I bet what you would get for 4-600 bucks is better than the 28 dollar piece of crap you bought when you got your Devour.

Of course, I'm not sure what kind of "knowledge" I would expect from a "professional photographer" that expects decent pictures from a 3MP digital camera attached to a low end phone.

I'm also 28 years old, well 29 in a few days. I'm hardly a punk ass kid. I just really don't feel like seeing more threads about how great the iPhone is, especially from professional photographers that think they should be getting great phone pictures from a 3MP camera attached to the bargain Android device. Lastly, I don't feel that I am a celebrity around here. Go look around if you think I'm just posting to post here.

I offered the best suggestion I could for you in the very first response. You just wanted to complain because you made a mistake with your purchase. There's no other suggestion to make, no other knowledge to dispense other than try that app and get a different phone with a "real" camera. That's the long and short of it. I'm not the one that bought a phone and got locked into a 2 year contract that's pissed because their inexpensive phone has a 3MP camera that can't take a picture for crap. I'm not the one that didn't take literally ten seconds to search Google before they made their purchase and read the VERY FIRST review that states how abysmal the camera on this thing is. You did.

So live with your decision, take the phone back, or just quit whining.

RemyL75

Reaction score
To take this back to a question posted by matth3w a few posts ago, no I tried looking for the 5x Zoom app, I do not believe it's available in the Market for the Devour. it is available for the Droid, at least I think it's the right one I found. Would the app you are talking about be made by Popcrowd Software??

Neupy

Reaction score
I gotta say....I laughed my ass off reading this thread haha...someone is poopy pants about their phone that isnt a camera too!