device administrators?

atticus

Reaction score
In Froyo under settings, it says device administrators, but when I go to under it ...nothings there and there's no menu options. What's the deal with this option?

lexxon

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's for Google Apps domain accounts. I have mine as a secondary account and don't see any admins, but in the Apps dashboard it mentions being able to remote wipe phones, forcing passwords, etc. I imagine these things will become available if the phone is tied to the account as its primary.

(I'm a Google Apps admin for a school district, but pretty new at it)

mcbinder

Reaction score
I have my company Exchange as a secondary email (private email is primary) and they just pushed a policy so that they have the ability to wipe my phone remotely. Is it really the whole phone or just the Exchange data? How do you see the admins? How can I disable this?

mcb

smcpherson

Reaction score
advice administrators?

My company exchange account IS NOT my primary on my droid, my personal e-mail is and I am still getting the message that I must activate device administrator. Now I cannot get into my company e-mail at all. I am really leary of giving Verizon (big brother) any more access to my phone. What should I do? Is there a way around it? My IT guy says they have not done anything on our side to cause this.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have wave secure on my phone and it shows up here with a box to check. dont quite understand what it does but ill try and find it

edit: found this
6. WaveSecure Device Admin – This is for Android OS 2.2 (Froyo) only. Once WaveSecure is enabled as a device administrator, the Android system gives more permission to improve the security of the phone. Phones running OS 1.6 to 2.1 are unable trap the HOME key and the lock screen can be bypassed temporary before it comes back on.

________

With Android 2.2 (Froyo) update, Android introduced a new concept where you can select an application as a "device administrator". Like any other application WaveSecure can also be selected as a device admin.

This new concept will prevent device admin software from accidental un-installation. When someone tries to uninstall ‘device administrator software’ they'll get an error saying "Uninstallation not successful"

Un-installation of WaveSecure on Android 2.2 (Froyo):

Removal of WaveSecure installed as a "device administrator’ can only be in done after the removal of WaveSecure from Device Admin list. To remove WaveSecure from the Device Admin list go into ‘Settings’ then ‘Location & Security’ then Select ‘device administrators’ and then uncheck WaveSecure.

smcpherson

Reaction score

Thanks! I'll try it Will it make the meesage go away that I need to activate device administrator.