Developing - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by shaggykid, May 10, 2012.

1. shaggykid

shaggykid New Member

I really want to start developing for Android on my Droid X. Problem is I have no idea where to start.

I would like to get to the point where I could make apps, create my own custom Roms, and such things like that.

I would also like to be able to find a way to turn my radio chip into a transmitter so that I can stream music to my car stereo, without it being through Bluetooth or any wires.

Can somebody point me into the direction I need to go? Which coding I need to learn? Anything that can help me get started and maybe a suggestion on what i should start with until I can get a better understanding?

Thanks in advance! :)

-Shaggy
  2. shaggykid

shaggykid New Member

Anybody??

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X
  3. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

4. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

I'm no good on doing stuff with roms and such, but to start making apps, I would suggest to start here:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html

s
    tart with something small and that interests you, or something that you do on a daily basis on your Droid X, but takes multiple steps.

Don't start right away with something like addressing the hardware directly on your phone, or anything more fancy.

Starting with something big like that, or a fancy game or anything like that will be too big of a task, and will take too long before you actually get results, and likely you will never finish it or even continue development.

the SDK lets you build a Hello World app.

From there, start with making it say something else, like Hello Shaggy Kid.
    It sounds super simple, but to find where the message is will give you an idea of how it works.

After that, try putting a picture underneath it, make it centered, scale the image etc.

What I found that works best for me for making apps is to find something you would actually use/need yourself. It gives you that much more interest to continue development on it, and you are your own biggest betatester.

Quite a few developers in the Play Store just try and clone popular games, hoping to get at least some of the cash from the success of the games they clone, but of course they don't actually care about the app they build themselves.

If you want something bigger, dissect your idea into small, manageable pieces. For a streaming app (no idea if it is possible with your transmitter) I would suggest to try and build something that would play a music file first. After that, have it look for music files on your memorycard and have it show a list of them.
    Then try making something that would let you select a song from that list, skip back one, or skip forward.

Sites of interest:

Hello, World | Android Developers
    Stack Overflow
    and of course Google is very helpful.
  5. shaggykid

shaggykid New Member

Awesome guys thanks! Ya. Definitely wanna start small. The transmitter is just something I want to build up to. Just start to code simple apps. And work my way up from there.

Ha I remember doing the "Hello World" thing in Computer Science Sophomore year. Never really kept up with JavaScript though. Although now I wish I would have.

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X
Search tags for this page
developing for droid

droid development

droid devolpment
droidxdevelopment