Developing Notification customization App with lockscreen preview

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by petjakob, Nov 29, 2009.

1. petjakob

petjakob New Member

Developing Notification customization App: myLock

After some time researching it seems no one has attempted to offer this functionality for android at all. A few early concepts for this are being developed but nothing is launched as of yet on the jailbreak community with the iPhone. I switched from iPhone primarily due to the great notification system and integration with things like IM and google voice that you just can't get on the iPhone, even under heavy jailbreak modding.

This app will combine several tweaks and UI improvements, including skipping the keyguard and instead taking the user straight to the home UI where notificationpreview and a minimal, intuitive shortcuts menu are displayed.

Included features:
    *NotificationPreview widget panel--- Mainly this is useful so you can quickly check what your waiting messages say with just one press of the lock button to light up your screen. It's faster and simpler than the current method of having to unlock it and launch your notification panel. I know there are apps that attempt to do this with SMS, however my app will put all notifications in command of the user so that you can hook in Gtalk, Gvoice, any email account, etc. and base it which CONTACTS you want to see previews from. It will display a timeline as well so if multiple Gtalk come in you can see all of them, not just the latest

*Customizable: check only those programs/contacts you wish to see in the locked-screen notification preview. Any program you have on the device which uses notifications will be available. You can also customize further to specify whether you want the LED and what type/color.

*Shortcutter: a minimalistic, responsive, & intuitive new way to get to your most important apps and functions. hides options till touched, then a radial menu appears where you just need to drag over to the shortcut you wish to launch, and release to go!

*The useful thing of the keyguard is really in the regulation of it going back to sleep again faster when you haven't interacted with the device, giving you a slightly longer timeout if you have touched something and even longer if you have opened the slide. this is how mylock handles the keyguard, just by intelligently deciding how long timeout is needed and allowing the user to wake it back up without the obstructive keyguard screen. Different unlock options: choose from standard lock button + slide, double press lock button, or lock button + shake of the device, and more.

Ideas/suggestions and especially anyone interested in the project or thinking about similar design that would like to team up---- I have no experience with programming on android but I have plenty of experience coding in a java/C++ Obj Oriented scripting language so I just need to study some source and documentation and give it a try.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I can't help with programming, but I can give you encouragement for a great idea!!
  3. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

wait...so this app will let me unlock the droid without having to slide it..and just by pressing the lock button 2 times???

when is it gonna be released
  4. cc16177

cc16177 New Member

Ooh, i'm excited... :D
  5. petjakob

petjakob New Member

Learning is coming along, picking up the platform from scratch might take me some time coming from java based scripting languages. I'm currently trying to hunt down some source code for similar apps that have changed how the home screen, locking, lighting, and notification presentment happens. I'm really seeking a programmer who knows the platform a little bit and might like to collaborate.
  6. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Alll excellent ideas. I'd like the screen not to time out after the two minutes I've set it at but that would drain my battery - if it stayed very low and lit up when I pressed the screen that would make me happy.
  7. m3kilpat

m3kilpat Member

Can't wait for this app! I will be happy when I can take the phone out of my pocket without worrying about answering/ignoring a call by accident.
  8. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Sounds like a winner. Handcent does this with SMS but it would be nice to have ALL NOTIFICATIONS handled this way. Looking forward to giving it a shot.
  9. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

If you need beta testers, I'll be more than happy to jump on this the second it comes out.

Kudos for a fantastic idea!
  10. petjakob

petjakob New Member

Thanks for the support, all of you.

I've opened a google code project for this, which I am new to but I think I've got it set up ok as a starting point: mylockforandroid - Project Hosting on Google Code

I work with someone who is good with Java but also new to android, so that makes us pretty much equal with my javascript and object oriented experience. Still hoping to work with someone who is familiar with android development, so feel free to follow me on twitter @ecnetsixe, my personal twitter. even if not a programmer feel free to direct questions/suggestions and generally just watch my day to day goings-on for an idea of progress with the app.
  11. olletsocmit

olletsocmit New Member

Amazing. Can u include a keypad n keys under ghe scrfeen(home.menu.back.find). Backlight timer so they stay on longer or sync with the screen timer
  12. forex robot

forex robot New Member

great post

great post as usual .. thanks .. you just gave me a few more ideas to play with
  13. petjakob

petjakob New Member

follow project on twitter @mylockandroid

blog at mylockandroid.blogspot.com

i was contacted by a dev who has worked on a lockscreen replacement and has source code for us!
  14. petjakob

petjakob New Member

Behold, I have fashioned an illustration of the concept in my head for the default layout/tools of this lockscreen.

Keep in mind it will be fully customizable to fit any user's need or desire for different scrollable panels and functions.
    [​IMG]
  15. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Lockscreen

By lockscreen I assume you mean the screen that shows up before you unlock it :)

I would love to see my emails in place of the SMS's you have at the top. That would be great.

Then make the clock a super cool flipclock with date.

And the bottom part customizable... There are tons of things you could do with this. Let people add any app to it.:icon_ banana:

16. defdrums

defdrums New Member

Just an idea; but I think it would be nice to have a regular lock screen and just be able to pull down the notification panel without unlocking the phone. So basically I could hit the top button to bring up the lock screen and instead of swiping from left to right to unlock; I could just swipe down from the top of the screen to view the notification panel.
  17. petjakob

petjakob New Member

You can already do this defdrums, there's kind of a crappy app called lock 2.0. It's 2 bucks. My app will be free and have the option to not use the preview plugin, but just pull down the notification panel and use it without sliding to unlock.

The point is the entire thing will be completely definable by you, the user, to have what you want on it. I will create it such that you can put any programs you want in the shortcut area, or not have it at all, or have it on a second "home" screen of your lock screen.

All i've done with my illustration here is show what I want to get done with it for my own purposes. The goal of the app is to be as universally useful to people as possible at simplifying how they can view their info or access things from the keyguard. it's not a new concept, just that the existing solutions aren't aiming for customizability.

there are plenty of things one could want to have in one quick view of the lockscreen, the default one kind of just stands in your way except for the silent mode shortcut. why not place other immensely useful shortcuts and message previews on it too?
    SSHGuru, you will be able to just have email only show up there. This illustration just shows how it will be capable of all types of notifications desired.
  18. petjakob

petjakob New Member

At first I thought this program would do best as a new "lockscreen" however I've realized now that I'm looking at code and have been thinking about it for a week straight that it really works better as a lock functionality modification. This app promises what amounts to a super useful set of tools to live on your homescreen combined with really good customization of how you wake the device to it and how it will go back to sleep smartly so you aren't frustrated and it keeps power efficient. The useful thing of the keyguard is really in the regulation of it going back to sleep again faster when you haven't interacted with the device, giving you a slightly longer timeout if you have touched something and even longer if you have opened the slide.

Please see the project blog for more info -- myLock for android: Why play by the official rules of the default keyguard?

Expect the app to go alpha/beta as either a homescreen replacement that comes up with your own custom button or shake based wakeup (think of it as a customized Keyguard Disabler), or optionally a set of widgets if you just want to integrate them in your existing home screen setup and use the settings for custom backlight and sleep/wake options

2nd iteration of the concept illustration in the works. Can't give an ETA on the alpha/beta as I'm developing this with spare time since I also work full time for a living.
  19. petjakob

petjakob New Member

This is a bump for purpose announcement: alpha 1 release. This release implements the skip-keyguard core functionality that the rest of our planned features will rely upon.

It is not much, however I find it to be the most important and relevant function I had planned for this app. With it, I have nearly approximated the other enhancements by simply laying out my homescreen with my favorite shortcuts and a clock at the bottom. A single press to see that screen, and one swipe to grab my notifications or one touch to launch what I want to do from there. While I am working I can lock the screen while it is displaying my gtalk conversation and this enables me to preview the messages in one touch even when multiple are waiting, the ultimate goal of notification preview widget.

myLock for android: Alpha 1 implementing KGSkip is now up for download
  20. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

hey i just downloaded the alpha release and installed =]...it was working for the first 5 minutes but then it stopped =[..seems great so far though nice work =]

*EDIT* seems to work only when it wants to =]....i like how i can control the volume while the screen is off a BIG PLUS
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
Search tags for this page

android preview message pin screen

android+unlock+screen+source code