Developing and Coding

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by mrnelson86, Jan 10, 2010.

1. NaterGator

NaterGator Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wait a freaking second, you're in Gainesville? Small world, go gators! UF Electrical Engineering student here.

Ok, I assume you're here: Hello, World | Android Developers
    and specifically getting confused by the XML UI layout section. As a baseline, do you understand the principles of XML, have you ever written an XML file before (be it for a SOAP/AJAX transaction, Manifest, etc) and are you familiar with any GUI layout in any language/engine?

2. neemo6

neemo6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great thread, im a starting out programming student and would love to learn to make apps as a hobby. Subscribed.

3. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep born and bred in Gainesville lol. You are exactly right as to where I am stuck. I have no experience with XML or anything, I am completely just starting out in programming and development, no experience doing any of it other than rudimentary self-teaching in Windows. It is kind of overwhelming teaching myself linux, java, and android, and now seemingly XML, etc. I am usually pretty tech savvy and can figure things out, and I know that I'm biting off a lot here, but it should be fun, if frustrating at times. I think what helps is that I don't have a real reason to be doing this other than because I want to...not going to school for it or anything (that's what biochemistry is for lol)

On a side note: I am really glad this thread is helping other people!

Edit: What is Gentoo? I could google search I guess though haha

4. NaterGator

NaterGator Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright then, you know where you need to start. Since the XML bit is your first stumbling block I'd start to learn the basics of XML. What you need to know first and foremost is XML is really just a standardized syntax/format specification that is used to encapsulate and convey data. XML parsers are fast and highly optimized, and APIs (application programming interfaces) usually have routines for working with XML structures. XML in itself is not a language in that it doesn't execute and it doesn't "do" anything... it is just easy for computers to parse/interpret and get useful information from. With that in mind have a look here:
    XML Introduction - What is XML?

In the context of the Android SDK (specifically that example) the XML file you create is not part of the "programming" per-say, it is a description of how the rendering engine should lay out the GUI elements you want to use in your program. You might be better off thinking of it this way: the java file is code that is executed to run the program, the XML file is read to layout the visible elements.

Gentoo is a source-based Linux distribution meaning everything I run (well, pretty much everything I run) is compiled first from the source code. Gentoo is a good distro to use if you want to modify the code of applications you are running or want to learn about different coding styles and structures.

5. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll look at the XML stuff and try to figure it out.

So Gentoo is similar to Ubuntu but just put together by a different group of people and is more relate-able for coders and developers with Ubuntu being more relate-able for windows/mac users coming over to Linux? I read Ubuntu was easy to learn so I figured it would be a good starting point for me at first, but I'm open to other distributions to try out later.

6. NaterGator

NaterGator Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but trust me here... stick with Ubuntu until you know why and what switching to another distro will mean and do for you. I am by no means suggesting you should even think about switching to Gentoo, simply offering logos.

I will also give you a sound bit of advice I got from one of my better professors in a tough class: learning is not a linear progress. Very few people endeavor in a tough study and make linear progress (IE: with x amount of time put in they get y more skillful)... instead almost everybody learns in a "stair step" pattern. That is to say you'll work at a concept for a while and it won't entirely make sense despite repeat attempts to master it, but one day something will just click and you'll have an epiphany as all your work at it falls into place and rather abruptly your skill level and mastery increase and plateau at a new level. Then you'll utilize what you've learned and expand what you are capable of, simultaneously exploring new concepts you don't grasp that would be helpful with your newfound knowledge and the process repeats again.

This is very much true in programming, especially when starting out. You've gotten Linux installed, Eclipse set up, the Android SDK installed, and a Hello World application created, none of which is a small feat for somebody without experience with object oriented programming. You've just had your first exponential leap, so expect to plateau for a little while but keep at it and you'll reap the rewards.

7. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate the advice, hopefully my leap isn't quite over yet :) but I understand not to get too frustrated and quit. I try to take breaks when I feel like I'm getting to that point, plus I work on it so infrequently since it is a "hobby" between working full time and school and a fiance and just buying and renovating our first home... :icon_eek:

8. acidbrn

acidbrn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know I will need the Android SDK, but are there any other programs that i'll need to download in order to begin programming for Android?

9. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    eclipse for sure, plus the knowledge of using these programs (xml, java, android programming) much of which was already discussed earlier in this thread

10. doug piston

doug piston Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    excellent thread. was planning on doing this myself. im startin this weekend. just havent thought of a good app idea yet. starting college in computer programming in march and figured android would be a good place to get my feet wet. subscribed.

11. NaterGator

NaterGator Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a heads up, I went and met with some Motorola folks at our career showcase on campus and there are definitely summer internships available at Moto for android developers. I'm pretty sure it's not for highschool grads, but I'd inquire after your first year at school and subsequently if that's your thing. I'm going to apply and see if I can get one of the internships... it would be a great experience and hopefully I'd get a better understanding of Moto's Android development paradigms and help do something productive for the Droid!

The radar detector integration project is definitely on though. Put the order in for the bluetooth chip and accessories and will start coding the AVR microcode and Android app very soon. I'll probably end up open-sourcing everything so it'd be pertinent for this thread insomuch as people will be able to look through the code and see what it does and how it operates.

Best of luck to the new programmers... you know where to look for help ;)

Search tags for this page

coding for droid