Developing and Coding

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mrnelson86, Jan 10, 2010.

1. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, if I were interested in finding out how to code and develop apps...where should I start? I know a lot about windows and a pretty good deal about macs, but linux is new to me and so is android. However, I am very interested in learning how to do all of that.

Also, is rooting necessary? I would prefer not to root my phone due to the warranty issue, especially until I learn more about coding and what-not. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. silverx10

silverx10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much. I'm browsing that site now. Also, my fiance has an old laptop that she no longer uses (due to her getting a Macbook Pro, but she still has a Droid and loves it so don't hate! We are a couple of mac and droid loving people) that I was thinking of converting to Linux from Vista and using it for development once I get to know my way around the Linux/Ubuntu OS. Also, one of my IT friends at work told me about Python that he is interested in learning in addition to his XP/Vista everyday work. Anyone know anything about that?

This is the CPU that I was going to convert http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834280004 would these specs be ok for developing Android apps? After I get used to the OS and learn how to code, etc. of course. Also, I'm going to google search and try to find out myself, but would there be any problems using that CPU for linux in anyone's experience?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  4. qoncept

qoncept Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need a Linux box to write for Android. When you install the SDK it gives you an emulator and the tools to push your code to your phone for testing. I'd recommend sticking with Windows so you're not trying to learn two new things at once. Ubuntu isn't hard to use, though.

Those hardware specs are fine. The emulator will run slow, but it runs slow on everything, including my 2.8ghz dual core iMac. Might want to toss another 1gb of ram in it at least, though, which should run you about 15 bucks tops.

5. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to say, the RAM was changed to a full 4gb. I wanted to try out Ubuntu as well because at my work I help the IT personell when they get backed up and there are some Linux systems at the USDA facility where I work. Also, I like to tinker :icon_ devil:

Edit: That is a good point about the Windows emulator though, I suppose I can just partition my HD and install both OS on it and if I have too much trouble go back to Windows...just really don't like Vista haha. All my computers at work are XP and I have a mac mini at home.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  6. qoncept

qoncept Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I personally wouldn't bother dual booting. If you want to use Ubuntu, go for it, it's easy enough. And not much has to work to run Eclipse. :) I used PCs forever until one day I just got completely fed up with XP and installed Ubuntu. That lasted maybe 8 months until I was completely fed up with that and decided to try a Mac. I'm a better person now.

7. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I love my mac but learning new stuff about computers really intrigues me, especially after getting my DROID. Since the Android platform is related to Linux, I am now interested in that as well! Plus I like the idea of open-source everything, even if I am in love with my Mac Mini media station on my plasma TV :)

8. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update: I got Ubuntu installed on the CPU after some difficulty (the CD I burned apparently didn't work the first time and was missing a file, but the next one worked flawlessly). Personally I really like the interface of the Ubuntu GUI but Linux and how the files are stored, how to navigate, etc. is sometimes very confusing to me. It's both similar and very different from Windows (ex. no program files folder, but folders containing programs are in the bin folders, etc. but just the executables) I am having trouble getting the android SDK to work, I'll have to tinker with it more later. I was able to get eclipse installed and working so I should be able to use the Android SDK

Edit: Can a moderator move this to the "Hacks" or "General" section? I tried posting this in the correct forum but seems like very few people view this thread...maybe I'm just boring though!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  9. silverx10

silverx10 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, 's not that. There's just not that many people here on the site that actively develop and offer tutelage on the subject. That being said, if you wanna get off to a good start, yeah, the official SDK site is pretty good for basics. You'll also wanna learn Java since the Android platform actually implements a Java VM. Sams Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours is working great for that (bought it), and as far as the other stuff, just look around.

When it comes to resources, remember: you get what you pay for. That being said, don't expect a lot from free tutorials. Though of course, if you find any, help everyone else out: post the links back here!

This particular site offers what looks to be a very user friendly approach to Android development, though again: knowledge on Java is assumed.

Android Development

10. fragatak

fragatak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Book

If you want a book that goes through setting up a Dev environment and debugging in Eclipse then look at Amazon.com: Android Wireless Application Development (9780321627094): Shane Conder, Lauren Darcey: Books. I got it as I have never messed with Eclipse and wanted to know about debugging inside it. I have only gone through the building and debugging my first app right now that is just hello world. So far it is pretty easy.

*note* It assumes windows. Which isn't that hard to get working the same way in Linux as the SDK is pretty easy to work with.

11. NaterGator

NaterGator Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What problems specifically are you having?

I can help, I'm a longtime Gentoo user and have the Android SDK up and working on Eclipse in Gentoo.

12. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was able to install the android adk and completed the hello, android introduction. The tutorial then says to do it in xml, which is confusing to me. I can't figure out how to complete that step!

13. NaterGator

NaterGator Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wait a freaking second, you're in Gainesville? Small world, go gators! UF Electrical Engineering student here.

Ok, I assume you're here: Hello, World | Android Developers
    and specifically getting confused by the XML UI layout section. As a baseline, do you understand the principles of XML, have you ever written an XML file before (be it for a SOAP/AJAX transaction, Manifest, etc) and are you familiar with any GUI layout in any language/engine?

14. neemo6

neemo6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great thread, im a starting out programming student and would love to learn to make apps as a hobby. Subscribed.

15. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep born and bred in Gainesville lol. You are exactly right as to where I am stuck. I have no experience with XML or anything, I am completely just starting out in programming and development, no experience doing any of it other than rudimentary self-teaching in Windows. It is kind of overwhelming teaching myself linux, java, and android, and now seemingly XML, etc. I am usually pretty tech savvy and can figure things out, and I know that I'm biting off a lot here, but it should be fun, if frustrating at times. I think what helps is that I don't have a real reason to be doing this other than because I want to...not going to school for it or anything (that's what biochemistry is for lol)

On a side note: I am really glad this thread is helping other people!

Edit: What is Gentoo? I could google search I guess though haha

Search tags for this page

coding for droid