Developers: Physical keyboard debounce improvement desperately needed...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by FrankH, Jan 22, 2010.

1. FrankH

FrankH New Member

To me it is clear that the physical slide out keyboard desperately needs a better debounce algorithm. When I try to type with the physical keyboard sometimes the key pressed appears twice or the key I wanted to hit is typed and is then immediately followed by an adjacent key. Of course, maybe my finger is too big and I am pressing two keys, but the key I wanted to press is almost always the first that appears in the text field so if there was a proper debounce algorithm in the keyboard driver, this "big finger" problem could be fixed. The proper algorithm would ignore any keypress that occurred within a certain fixed short time after the first keypress. This would prevent double presses and it would also prevent adjacent keys from being incorrectly typed. With this fixed, the physical keyboard would become usable for me.

So is there a developer out there that can replace the keyboard driver and fix the debounce algorithm? Also, while you are at it, add the predictive text used by the soft keyboard to the physical keyboard (I know there is a hack for this but I would pay several dollars for a downloadable application to fix both these issues).

Is this something that can be installed like an application or is this deep in some ROM code in the Droid?
  2. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 New Member

Um, I wouldn't want mine to slow down. I'm sure there are several people that type quick enough that any "delay" added would slow them down. I don't experience any issues like those that you speak of.
  3. maxoc

maxoc New Member

yeah... i think its you dude. i type with fingernail, center of my thumb, my index finger, a pen, in the dark, one handed upside down and holding the phone backwards, typing fast and slow.

never had an issue with the phone. never had this doubling issue you speak of.
  4. FrankH

FrankH New Member

Sorry, but you who worry about it slowing down typing don't understand denouncing keys. Every key needs to be debounced - any physical key can have several make and break contacts within a few milliseconds. I am suggesting something like a 10 or 30 millisecond denounce time. So for that to affect your typing speed you would have to be typing 30 to 100 CHARACTERS PER SECOND - which is impossible.
  5. justbob

justbob New Member

FrankH, It's possible the problem may be with your phone. Yours is the first complaint of key bounce I have come across. Take your phone in to a Verizon store and have the take a look at it.
  6. rednukleus

rednukleus New Member

I can relate to what the OP is saying. My hands are not particularly large but it is easy to hit multiple keys at once on that physical keyboard. I always type very slowly with my thumbnails now. If nothing else, adding a debounce algorithm would allow me to use the fleshy part of my thumb to type without worrying about hitting multiple keys.
  7. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

For me the physical keyboard is alright, I used it alot the first day but the on screen keyboard is just so beautifully done, I love the way it works. The only time my keyboard is going to get a workout is playing SNES roms.
  8. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

I kinda see what your saying here, but I could see how such an algorithm would prevent someone else from typing correctly. What if I need to do double letters? what if I quickly roll my finger over an adjacent key because that was the next letter I actually needed?

I think the type of thing you are wanting is best suited for the soft keyboards. The physical keyboards are great because they do not use any auto-correcting functions. Those functions often cause me to type something I didn't want in the first place. The physical keyboard is used for quick and accurate typing.

I just think that if you were to implement this, it would make a lot of other users complain.

Unfortunately, I think the only thing that is ever going to make you happy, is a different physical keyboard. If you press the wrong keys too often, even after a lot of use, then its clearly just not for you.

I hope you find some way to make the Physical keyboard easier for you, but I really don't think this idea would even help you. The keys on this keyboard are small, flat and close together. Anyone with big fingers are going to have at least a little trouble.

Fo a search for predictive input for the physical keyboard. I think that would help you by auto correcting common mistakes. It reduces flexibility though since those auto correcting functions can give you the wrong word sometimes, especially if you type slang words.
  9. dtrust

dtrust New Member

FrankH,

I'll second the other poster who mentioned you may have a problem with your particular Droid.

I had all the same problems you describe with my first Droid and the physical keyboard. It was so bad that I just didn't use it at all.

I'm now on my second Droid (due to a screen problem that developed on the first one), and the physical keyboard on this one is many, many times better than the first one. It is quite usable now.

I do understand your wanting a better debounce algorithm, but it might be worth a trip to a verizon store to try out a different Droid. You may find that your's is particularly (and unnecessarily) sensitive.

Don
  10. TimChgo9

TimChgo9 New Member

I sometimes hit multiple keys on the slider keyboard, but I have bigger problems with the virtual keyboard, so if I have to backspace once in a while to fix an error with the physical keyboard, that's fine with me.. I hit multiple keys less often, the more I get used to the physical keyboard.
  11. FrankH

FrankH New Member

For an example from my physical keyboard:
    This is an exampl,de ocf med gtypinvg without c@orrec@gtingv tgyhping mistakes. So aSz yhouj @can sede tghis is u usab led.
    Corrected version:
    This is an example of me typing without correcting typing mistakes. So as you can see this is unusable.
    So as you can see the physical keyboard is worthless for me. The errors are almost always that the key directly above or below the intended key is entered either before or after the key I intended to hit. I know that there is only one physical click of a key with each keypress. Note that intended keypresses are not duplicated so it is not really a key "bouncing" - more like adjacent keys "bounce". However, on a game - Androtris (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) - I configured it to use physical keypresses and on that game the intended key does get pressed two times when I intend to only press it once.

I will take the advice of several of you and go to Verizon to see if it is just a bad keyboard on this particular Droid. Note that this is not a problem of having huge fingers - I used a Palm Treo for many years before I bought the Droid and could type quite accurately even though the keyboard is smaller on the Treo.

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. I will let you know what I find out at the Verizon store.
  12. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

Well let us know how it turns out. It could be a bad Droid, I went through 3 of them before I got a good one. I noticed you said you had issues with the on-screen keyboard. Have you tried the swype keyboard application? You can find it here: Download Swype for Android Beta | Android Central

It lets you glide your finger over the soft keyboard to create words (you don't have to glide directly over each letter.. just try your best to hit most of them).

If your fingers are familiar with typing on a standard PC keyboard, you will find that your thumb should have no problem remembering the basic location of each letter, making Swype quick and easy (in my opinion I HATED going back to the standard keyboard after getting use to Swype...it is that good to me).
Search tags for this page

andriod keyboard debounce

debounce milestone 2

milestone double pressing keys

rom 安卓 debounce