Developers needed to help with an Apps2SD project for the AOSP.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by danDroid, Nov 4, 2009.

1. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +151
    The actual thread is located here: More Applications on SDCARD - android-platform | Google Groups
    Basically, if implemented, it will do the following;
    1) totally obsolete current hacker apps2sd approaches by allowing actual sdcard removal from device.
    2) ultimately ship with devices stock (when in a state where it is easy to use, stable, and at least as secure for non-root users as internal storage currently is).
    3) keep application data on the same device as the actual application with no side-effects (like internal apps being broken while waiting for second partition to mount).
    4) allow MULTIPLE sdcards containing apps to be swapped on the same device.
    5) allow sdcard containing apps to be swapped between DIFFERENT devices.

Note: 4 and 5 are not in the initial implementation, first proof of concept and working system, then enhancement with additional features. 4 and 5 are not requirements for inclusion in AOSP, but they are cool features that ultimately should be implemented.

What we need:
    Several good developers, web storage w/source/patch management, etc.
    Anyone interested, please read the thread to get an idea of the current state of thought, and please don't pollute that thread with nonsense. There is a current state of organization, and though not set in stone, it should be considered as NOT open for major architectural changes (i.e., the google engineers don't have any major problems with the proposal that we can't work through). Minor glitches and implementation details will be handled along the way. If you must pollute a thread with nonsense, use this one.

2. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    WOOT! Good find again. :rating10:

3. phamous

phamous Member

Ratings:
    +0
    google isn't actually looking...

lbcoder does not work for google.

Project: apps-on-sd to AOSP -- developers needed. - xda-developers

^^ that is the original forum post. With all the requirements lbcoder asks for.

There are many arguments against this particular implementation of apps2sd.
    Read the original thread and formulate your own conclusions.
    ----
    on a second thought. I'm new to these forums. And not to bash on this forum or any of it's moderators/administrators. But seriously guys, this can be a really GREAT forum. Everything about it is great so far, just that it's turning into a zoo. There are a lot of meaningless threads, and many of them are in the wrong sections, it's as if the moderators are here, but aren't doing anything.

I mean, just look at the second post in this thread.

New2u is a "super" moderator, yet how was his post contributing anything to development or even on topic with this particular thread?

It's not.

I'm not trying to be judgemental here though, please don't take offense to what i'm suggesting. I'm not necessarily trying to point fingers either, its just odd that a user with moderator status would be posting something like that...
    ---
    anyone want to make me a moderator?

4. missegg

missegg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Note the date of his post. Nov 4. This forum was a lot slower then, and I don't know if we even had 500 members yet. A lot of the posts before it got crazy here might now seem pointless, but at the time it assured members like myself that there were other people reading the forum and keeping it active until the momentum overtook us. Has it gotten crazy here? Yes. Does it need some cleaning up? Yes. Even spending a good portion of my day here, I'm still catching up on threads. Cut the mods some slack, this place has exploded with new members in the last day or two. I think they're doing a pretty good job, all things considered.

5. rlittle66

rlittle66 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently Phamous is not familiar with the need to post in a thread to keep it active and on the front page :droideris: Free Bump

6. phamous

phamous Member

Ratings:
    +0
    not like it matters, this isn't even the original thread. If any lasting contribution is to be made, it will be made on the xda-developers forum and/or code.google.com, where the original thread and original poster reside.

and don't talk to me about about being familiar with the need to post in a thread to keep it active.

I am.

you clearly do not, because this thread doesn't need to be kept active, yet you posted anyways.

May these last 3 posts (including mine) be an example of what not to do. If you have a problem with me, deal with me via private message, there's no need to further clutter this forum/thread