1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

determing version of froyo?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by AutoLuxLexES, Jun 17, 2010.

1. AutoLuxLexES

AutoLuxLexES New Member

Hello all, let me start off by saying that this site truly is wonderful. I am noob for hacking phones as this is my very first 'advanced' phone and the phone is only 1week old.

anyways, i just completed the froyo 2.2 update(thanks zone117x and dmartins), and kernel LV-125-600 upgrade.
    im wondering how I can determine if i downloaded the older version of froyo as opposed to froyo 2.2 frf57? my phone says android version: 2.2
    and i noticed that dmartins said his setcpu was set to 90? how do i determine mine is set correctly.

Thanks
    Charley
  2. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Right above where it says your version is 2.2 it will say the ROM version frf??. It might say FRFXX or FRF57. Those are the only two version I have seen. And I have seen some posters say they are the same version but someone re-wrote the file that displays the version and that is the only difference. I know when I switched from FRFXX to FRF57 I saw absolutely no difference. Not one iota. Ran the same kernels and still no difference.

Why are you only running 600 mhz? I just bumped mine down to 600 to show a freind how slow it can run. It hurt real bad. LOL

She's going out to get a Droid right now. Says she will bring it to me to root it tomorrow.

Nate
  3. AutoLuxLexES

AutoLuxLexES New Member

thanks for the reply
    mine says frfxxxx

yeah, i stayed with 600 because i honestly have no idea what im really doing. i figured if i did what the OP did, then i should be safe. btw what is the difference between kernels? i tried to google search what the difference was but was in a bit of a rush(actually, switching over to 2.2 took me like 2 hours to figure out how to do it). so the one that im doing is really slow like how? internet? processor? what is better but still safe?

Thank You
    Charley
  4. tjkriegel

tjkriegel New Member

The higher the frequency the faster so a 1200mhz kernel would be twice as fast as the 600mhz you are currently using on the processor. Note - higher speeds can cause stability issues on your phone, every one is a bit different so find a speed that you are happy with and works well on your phone
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  5. AutoLuxLexES

AutoLuxLexES New Member

ok, from P3Droid Kernels, what sections should i be downloading from
    1. *standard voltages*(low=250mHz)
    2. *standard voltages*(low=125mHz)
    3. *low voltages*(low =125mHz)
    ??

Charley
  6. zackplanet42

zackplanet42 New Member

Ideally you would pick from the low voltage ones. They use less power (see explanation below). It all depends on the chip you have. you might have gotten lucky, or unlucky. Some chips have trouble with low voltages while others don't. The overclocking 101 faq in the faq section explains this very well.

Ohm's law says current (the amount of charge flowing from the battery) equals the voltage divided by resistance. I=V/R where I equals current V equals voltage and R equals resistance. When less voltage is used, and the resistance stays the same (as is the case with the phone's processor) less current flows, but the same work is done, thus its more effecient, giving you longer battery life.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  7. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Lots of different kernels floating around the hacks section. P3Droid makes his, ChevyNo1 makes his, AdamZ used to post kernels but we have not heard from him for a few months so nothing availble for 2.2. Several others make kernels all for overclocking and most support wifi tethering. The thing is we can't really recommend one because different phones get different results. Lots of people love ChevyNo1's kernels but I can't get them to work right on my phone. P3Droid's works great on my phone. Everyone gets different results.

So best thing to do is download a kernel and install it (back up your phone first) and see how it does. If it locks up on you or creates lagginess then try a different kernel. Experimenting is the only way to learn this stuff.

The kernel allows the OS to communicate with the CPU. Its a layer right above the CPU instructions. The Rom is a layer above the kernel and does not have the ability to directly communicate with the CPU. Drivers usually reside between the kernel and ROM. Not sure if that helps you understand. POint is...you need a custom kernel if you want to over clock or use wireless tethering.

Nate