Desperate for a solution, droid x stuck at boot, can't update, can't rsd.

thetomas

Reaction score
So I've been working on this a few hours now, and it's really driving me nuts. If someone could help me out, i'd really appreciate it.

First off, i'm on a droid x running RubiX .3 untill earlier tonight, when I flashed RubiX 1.0 (I don't believe that's the problem, please read on) RubiX 1.0 installed right over .3 just fine with no problems and ran great for about 2 hours before I started messing with other things.

I caused the problem by thinking I could modify the framework-res.apk file on the phone, instead of moving it to a desktop and then putting it back. I was reading instructions on how to change the "verizon wireless" banner on the lock screen, and used root explorer to make a copy of framework, change the extension to .zip, unzip it, navigate to the res dir, and modify the res.xml file on the device using a text editor. I made sure the banner still had 16 characters, but i realize either not using a hex editor, or re zipping the package on the device must have cause it to be corrupt, because when i put the file back together and swapped the modded framework for the existing one (which i renamed .bak) It all went down hill.

Upon reboot, i get a moto symbol and then a blank screen, which just hangs and hangs. I'm able to hold home while booting to get into recovery, but this is where things get difficult. I've never used rsd lite before, and so i didn't have it set up on my computer. I have connected my phone to my computer before, as a mass storage and with moto connect, so i THOUGHT i had the right drivers installed, but after following several tutorials on how to flash an sbf using rsd lite, I cannot get RSD lite to recognize my phone.

I have attempted to use rsd lite on both my desktop and laptop (both windows 7 64 bit). I have tried both 4.6 and 4.7 "with patch". I have tested the usb ports to make sure they work. I have made sure to run RSD lite as administrator, and have tried using windows xp sp3 compatability mode. I have tried several variations of starting rsd, then the phone, starting the phone then rsd and so forth. I just can't get my phone to show up for RSD.

I've also tried simply putting a froyo update.zip on the sd card and applying that from the recovery menu, but after attemptiong two versions of the update.zip, I've gotten E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 2) every time. I have searched extensively for the meaning of "status 2" and have found no clear indication.

I havn't linked to the particular rsd, sbf, update, or driver files driver i've attempted so far because they are plentiful, and, frankly, all a jumble to me at the moment, but i'm at the end of my ability to troubleshoot this on my own and would REALLY appreciate any help you might be able to provide.

Thank you.

OddBob

Reaction score
As I understand, rsd is used in bootloader mode not recovery. So when powering on hold vol down and camera. The bootloader screen will pop then plug into computer and run rsd. Good luck

OP
T

thetomas

Reaction score
Holy crap, throughout my entire search I had no idea that the two menus were separate things, I thought the different button combinations were referring to different devices' methods of entering the same menu and probably never would have figured this out. Thank you so much for reading the whole convoluted problem and providing such a simple answer.

I entered bootloader mode and my device was recognized immediatly. I'm flashing now.

Thank you again.

P.S. does anyone else feel like this fact (the recovery menu and the bootloader mode are two different things) should be made more obvious in the hundreds of posts on these boards? or am i just blind :(

Holden1881

Reaction score
Hi there, I am desperate now too!

My Droid X boots but I get a black screen. I can receive a phone call but can't see anything, including settings. When I try to get the upload.zip file installed I get the same message thetomas was getting: "E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip (Status 2)". I am trying to get Froyo back. Before it broke I tried to get the new Gingerbread but it would download and start installation, and fail during install every time.

My Droid X was rooted, I unrooted it before trying to get Gingerbread.

I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would flash back to Froyo.

sent from my ZombieStomped X