Solved Designate contact's default number

dnbreaks

Reaction score
I have many contacts with multiple phone numbers and/or emails and/or addresses. Some of them I've been able to designate which info should be their default, but many of them I cannot. The ones that do have default info designated were done some time ago and on a different phone. I am currently using a Galaxy S5 on 4.4.4. Some things I've tried are exporting individual contacts and reimporting them via gmail, deleting the contact and reentering it, and multiple phone restarts. I'm able to get a phone number designated as the default, but it never stays like that for more than a day. This is very annoying, especially for the contacts that I have marked as a favorite as I always have to tap their picture and then the phone number I want to call instead of it automatically calling the default number. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trucker13

Reaction score
A few tips I use.
1. I set up a shortcut folder for the peeps I call most and put it on my home screen. Long press go to widgets and then I think it was in the contacts folder there is direct dial. It's kind of time consuming to set up, but awesome afterwards.
2. I have Verizon and the Verizon cloud updates contacts daily. You can manage your contacts on Verizon's website, then they will update as you have them on the site.
3.Deep in the menu of each contact under more, there is phonetic sound. I had several contacts that would not work on Google, or S Voice. After setting up phonetic sound, it works great.

OP
dnbreaks

dnbreaks

Reaction score
Appreciate the tips, but they don't have anything to do with my issue. Anyone else out there experiencing what I described in original post? I still have not been able to come up with a solution.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
My defaults stick when I long press the phone number and select Set As Default. I am using the Note Edge however. I do have an S5 laying around that I can test it on too.

OP
dnbreaks

dnbreaks

Reaction score
My defaults stick when I long press the phone number and select Set As Default. I am using the Note Edge however. I do have an S5 laying around that I can test it on too.

Any luck with testing this on your S5?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Any luck with testing this on your S5?

My defaults on the S5 are sticking to whatever I set them as. My S5 is on 4.4.2 and using only contacts that I have stored with my Google profile. It doesn't matter if the contact is a favorite or not...all Defaults that I have set up stay defaulted.

OP
dnbreaks

dnbreaks

Reaction score
Hmmm, wonder if it's an issue with 4.4.4 then. It's weird because the default designation will stay for a while, but then sometime overnight it resets to no default. I'm going to try to delete a contact and reenter the contact tomorrow and see what happens.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm not sure. There isn't an OTA for me to get to 4.4.4. My S5 is an AT&T variant. I'll plug it into Kies and see if it will update that way and try again.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Kies is also telling me that 4.4.2 is the latest available software for my S5.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Apparently AT&T has had issues with 4.4.4 and there have been rumors floating around that they will skip it altogether at this point, and go straight to 5.0.1. or .2
Of course, being a "rumor" you'll want to take this with a grain of salt. That said, being that this update was originally set to push out the first week of December for the AT&T variant S5s, I can't imagine this rumor is too far fetched.

On the plus, it's nice to see Verizon customers are no longer the last ones to receive the latest OS updates on their recent Galaxy flagships.

Bummer for AT&T customers in this instance though.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't see 4.4.4 coming for AT&T. Maybe once the S6 is released they will roll out 5.0 for their S5. Our S5 is a spare phone that fell to the wayside with our Tmo move.

OP
dnbreaks

dnbreaks

Reaction score
So I recently moved everything over to a new gmail address and migrated all of my contacts as part of that. About the only thing that is different is I don't have any of them in Circles in the new Google+ account (don't really use it anyway). I went in and designated all of the contacts with the default phone and email as necessary and they all have maintained that designation whether they are a favorite or not. It's been about a week since I did that. Issue with old gmail account remains a mystery, but is "solved" for now.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So I recently moved everything over to a new gmail address and migrated all of my contacts as part of that. About the only thing that is different is I don't have any of them in Circles in the new Google+ account (don't really use it anyway). I went in and designated all of the contacts with the default phone and email as necessary and they all have maintained that designation whether they are a favorite or not. It's been about a week since I did that. Issue with old gmail account remains a mystery, but is "solved" for now.

That's good news. It's a bummer that a new email address was in order. This thread has been marked as Solved for now.