.:: Design Matters ::.

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by BenLand150, May 6, 2012.

?

Does Design Matter?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I care more about the specs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    It's definitely possible, having a sturdier frame will definitely prevent flexing, which would result in cracking the screen, but unless it's some piece of junk phone, I just don't see it making a huge difference at the smaller screen size.

As the screens get larger, a more rigid frame will probably become more and more important when abusing the phone or putting it through stress. Then again, I don't imagine the majority are putting their $300(600) phones through the kind of stress that we're talking about. I mean the Razr has a metal frame and a kevlar back and I've seen more people complain on their forums of shattered screens than any other device thus far in the past year. So it may not be the frame strength as much as it being so thin that the frame is being warped due to it's thinness, not the material being used.

2. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +4,574
    I dont know me personally if I am going to spend 199+ for a phone I am going to atleast either get the insurance and/or get at minimum a gel case. But liderc you make a good point about knowing your environment. I know the environment I work in and at time i put tools in the same pocket as my phone. Knowing that I make sure I put a case and screen protector on it. Though the tool may not scratch the glass, the oils and grime that may be on the tool may cause issues. Benland150 yes design matters both cosmetically and helping it last. I too heard the arguments about the galaxy nexus being plastic but you would be surprised how strong you can make plastics. The nexus though big just feels light yet you know its durable, which is similar to composite where it is lighter than metal yet just as strong. Look at the 787 which has went majority composite. The point is that protection is just as much about how the device is built as it is the material. Just because the phone is metal does not make it more durable. When you drop a phone it is about the impact of the force and if the glass can withstand it. That is why even having a cheap $5 gel case can prevent a screen from shattering because the material absorbs some of the force.
    The sgs 3 design wise I could live with and I like the software integration. I just think it would have benefited more from the stock ics icons. Touchwiz just look like it took steps back to 1.6 days. Samsung too me just put more thought in it than they should. Had they added the software integration to vanilla ics look with maybe some of the touchwiz widgets from the sgs2 and the software buttons that phone would have got a better score in my opinion.

3. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I agree on the Nexus. It's very durable for the most part. And I also agree on TouchWiz, they should have done.. "less", with it almost.

And I know that a phone made of metal doesn't necessarily mean it will be indestructable, my point is getting to that the screen is not everything. If it has poor support it won't last either. But some support is better than no support.

• Like Like x 1
  4. geoff5093

geoff5093 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I know exactly what the OP is talking about. My friend has the Nexus and I have the Thunderbolt, whenever I see and hold the Nexus it really feels like holding it the wrong way will snap the phone it half, it just looks and feels like it's an incredibly fragile device. Now my Thunderbolt with the extended battery feels like a tank, I roughly place them on my desk from several inches away, throw it in my cup holder in my car, and I've dropped it several times without any side effects other then some scratched plastic. I keep my phone in my cargo pockets and when kneeling down I can feel the strain on it, but I never worry about it getting damaged, it's a heck of a tough phone.