Desay Beats Apple to the Punch in Offering a Smartphone with a Sapphire Display

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
desay-magical-mirror-x5.jpg

Here's a story that will probably not be very surprising when you read all of the facts. One of Apple's smaller suppliers just beat them to the punch in creating a smartphone with a full sapphire display. A Chinese company named Desay just announced their new smartphone called the Magical Mirror X5, and it's primary "selling" feature is the aforementioned display made entirely of sapphire.

Here are all of the specs:
  • 5 inch 720p HD display protected by sapphire glass
  • Quad-core MediaTek processor with 1GB of RAM
  • 16GB of internal storage
  • 13MP rear facing camera
  • 5MP front facing camera
  • 2050mAh battery
  • 4G LTE
  • Android (probably 4.4 KitKat)
As you can see, it is decidedly a "budget" phone, despite the fancy sapphire display. It also comes with a commensurate price of just ¥ 999, ($160 USD). It is highly unlikely this device will ever sell in North American markets at all.

Finally, to be clear, this is NOT the first sapphire display smartphone. That honor goes to a special version of the Huawei Ascend P7, which was a very limited edition model. Regardless, we aren't sure this marketing gimmick makes much sense anymore.

Despite all of the hype from last year regarding sapphire displays possibly coming to the iPhone, it has been shown that the various forms of Gorilla Glass might actually just be better overall. While the sapphire glass is harder and less likely to scratch than Gorilla Glass, it is also a bit more brittle and less flexible. A smartphone with a sapphire glass display is more likely to have a cracked/broken screen from a drop than is one with Gorilla Glass 3 or 4. Which is more relevant to you?

Source: WSJ

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This^^^^

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I know many people are about a slim and fashionable form factor with their devices.. And don't get me wrong.. I like sleek lines and a cool look to a device.. But.. I'm also all about sticking said device in a rugged case to protect it from the bumps and bruises of every day use.. So for me.. It doesn't matter..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't think I've scratched a single display yet. Haven't broken one,either, but the latter is the much bigger concern