Depressions/waviness in kevlar backing due to heat?

lyrictenor1

Reaction score
I did not notice this on my RAZR, but I realized that the back of my RAZR Maxx has some waviness to it--more pronounced at the top, but it also can be felt by the center portion of the kevlar backing.

I don't recall feeling that when I first got the phone. However, the phone's back did get pretty warm several times--I'm thinking that was the cause for this.

You can see a little bit of the waviness due to the shadows in the pictures. The curve towards the top of the phone is the most apparent.

Are your Maxx's like this as well?

Attachments

• 2012-01-28_23-01-56_531.jpg
    2012-01-28_23-01-56_531.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 3,061
  • 2012-01-28_23-00-02_20.jpg
    2012-01-28_23-00-02_20.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 1,094

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I did not notice this on my RAZR, but I realized that the back of my RAZR Maxx has some waviness to it--more pronounced at the top, but it also can be felt by the center portion of the kevlar backing.

I don't recall feeling that when I first got the phone. However, the phone's back did get pretty warm several times--I'm thinking that was the cause for this.

You can see a little bit of the waviness due to the shadows in the pictures. The curve towards the top of the phone is the most apparent.

Are your Maxx's like this as well?

It's possible that overheating of the battery caused some bulging or swelling and since the Kevlar is directly affixed to the Kevlar by double-sided tape any distortion of the battery would also distort the Kevlar. The battery is a soft pack meaning it doesn't have a metal or hard plastic shell, making it somewhat flexible and more easily damage by heat and puncture. The Kevlar sheet is also thin and flexible which is why they affixed it to the battery with double-sided tape.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

miltk

Reaction score
i was going to bring it up too:D:D i could feel it when i was holding it.

looks like it's a characteristic but not an issue,,,according to foxkat. thx, fk.

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
It's possible that overheating of the battery caused some bulging or swelling and since the Kevlar is directly affixed to the Kevlar by double-sided tape any distortion of the battery would also distort the Kevlar.

If the Kevlar is affixed to the Kevlar, the battery is connected to the.....??
Sorry, couldn't help it..

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have any waveyness in the back, it gets warm but never hot.

Kevlar isn't really the best material for a back cover. I think they should have used carbon fiber. If you've seen the disassemble video you can see how floppy the back cover is.

What I'm curious about is the back it seems to be shiny, like it has a film over it. I don't want to start picking at it, but it bugs me. Does it have a film and can one remove it without damaging the back? It's kinda a dumb thing to worry about since I use a case, but there you go.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Mine doesn't have any waveyness in the back, it gets warm but never hot.

Kevlar isn't really the best material for a back cover. I think they should have used carbon fiber. If you've seen the disassemble video you can see how floppy the back cover is.

What I'm curious about is the back it seems to be shiny, like it has a film over it. I don't want to start picking at it, but it bugs me. Does it have a film and can one remove it without damaging the back? It's kinda a dumb thing to worry about since I use a case, but there you go.

There IS a protection film that is applied onto the Kevlar from the factory and is meant to be peeled off once you purchase it. Perhaps that's what you see and it's slipped a little bit causing ripples.

Also, Carbon Fiber at those thicknesses is not as strong as you might think. First, it would have to be sealed in epoxy (such as in car parts) which makes it rigid and protects the fibers from scuffs and scrapes which would fray it, but once hardened it then becomes susceptible to cracking.

paczjj15

Reaction score
There IS a protection film that is applied onto the Kevlar from the factory and is meant to be peeled off once you purchase it. Perhaps that's what you see and it's slipped a little bit causing ripples.

Also, Carbon Fiber at those thicknesses is not as strong as you might think. First, it would have to be sealed in epoxy (such as in car parts) which makes it rigid and protects the fibers from scuffs and scrapes which would fray it, but once hardened it then becomes susceptible to cracking.

I just got my Droid Razr today, and I'm noticing something similar. The back is starting to bubble, but it does look like a standard protective film that they put over any new electronic. What concerns me is that the standard phone ID information stickers are on this protective film. I think that usually gets applied behind the battery, but because of the design, it would be a big inconvenience to do. So, if I remove it, am I going to have problems if I have to take it in for some reason?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yeah it is a clear film and with a little care it can be removed. To keep those stickers ID numbers etc. I stuck it to a bit of card stock and hung on the refrigerator.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It's possible that overheating of the battery caused some bulging or swelling and since the Kevlar is directly affixed to the Kevlar by double-sided tape any distortion of the battery would also distort the Kevlar.

Oops...my bad. Kevlar affixed to the battery.

Psyman

Reaction score
It is a film with the stickers on it. I peeled mine off and affixed it to a card and tossed it in the razr box for safe keeping

daudi81

Reaction score
Yea, I just barely got mine a couple days ago, and can definitely feel the "waves" if you put slight pressure and go up and down vertically on the phone. This has to be normal though, because I've only had my phone a couple days. I can't see the phone warping after a couple days of light usage.

arparaspolo

Reaction score
I just got my Droid Razr today, and I'm noticing something similar. The back is starting to bubble, but it does look like a standard protective film that they put over any new electronic. What concerns me is that the standard phone ID information stickers are on this protective film. I think that usually gets applied behind the battery, but because of the design, it would be a big inconvenience to do. So, if I remove it, am I going to have problems if I have to take it in for some reason?

The main number you'll need is on the inside of the Sim Card & SD Card slot on the door. Very Tiny. You can also dial *#06#* to get that same number. I just stuck the back film from the phone on the inside of the box my phone came in.

H3Dude

Reaction score
I have had three MAXXs and all have had this. Had it new.

T

TheAlpha

Now closing.