Demand for Android Phones Saturating Networks, "Need More Input!"

J

JohnDroid

johnny5.png

With the boom of Android based phones globally, soon cellphones may overtake personal computers as the most-used tool for browsing the web. A telecom network technology firm called Arieso recently performed a study, and according to their Chief Technology Officer Michael Flanagan, "Smartphone subscriptions are rising and so too is subscriber appetite for mobile data. It's a trend that's set to continue." This story from Reuters.com indicates that most of the wireless network providers are experiencing rapidly congesting networks. Most of them won't publicly admit it, but demand has risen too quickly, and free Android software seems to be the prime reason. I guess Android users crave "input" more than anyone else. :)

by dgstorm

Aohus

Reaction score
i've noticed that verizon's 3G network isn't as fast as it used to be, prior to droid incredible/droid x sales. anyone else notice this as well?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've not noticed any degradation. I installed a new rom Saturday and my phone is faster than ever.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
VZW's network was knocked off line a couple days ago for hours. I NEVER recall that ever happening. No idea what caused it but it's never happened since I've been a customer (7 years)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Three years ago VZW was down in my area for about six hours due to a construction firm cutting a major connection cable at the tower which is located at the top of a mountain.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its like this....

If the iPhone was available like Android phones, this would been a story back in 2008 too..

The browsing experience is better on Android and the iPhone. The user experience is better on Android and iPhone. Like me, I had an Omnia 1, Win Mo. I never used the web on my Omnia like I do my Droid 1 and X. It was a bad experience with me and resistive screens, back then not too good zooming features.

When the experience is better, ppl are naturally gonna use it more.

Chuck931

Reaction score
Can you say WIKILEAKS REVENGE

Sent from someones DroidX

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would guess my widgets are passively using a lot more data than I would otherwise. Still do most of my browsing and posting on the laptop. But I do find myself reading a bit of news here and there on the Droid because it's so convenient when you have a minute on the go.

nateccnn

Reaction score
I use mine for browsing mostly while sitting on the toilet. The more ruffage or chilli I eat, the more bandwidth I consume. No conspiracy here folks. Just eat more cheese and we will all see faster speeds on the network.

Nate

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
3g for me is noticeably slower and as for vzw being down we have seen a few of these out here over the last couple years so that really hasn't changed.

I don't think the iphone is gonna hurt us all that much because many users with smart phones will be switching to the iphone so that will be a wash and the new subs and dumb phone converts will probably be gradual due to contract end dates and renewal dates. We'll see...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think the iphone is gonna hurt us all that much because many users with smart phones will be switching to the iphone so that will be a wash and the new subs and dumb phone converts will probably be gradual due to contract end dates and renewal dates. We'll see...

I disagree there will be signicant switching. The phones really are quite close substitutes and why start over with apps you've purchases as well as the time to set it up the way you want?

Plus, you're ignoring what is likely to be a massive influx of AT&T customers eager to move to a network where they can finally - gasp! - use their phone to make calls.

LTE should relieve a lot of those capacity constraints, but in cities with no LTE all bets may be off. Although I don't think VZW would do a deal for the IPhone if the additional demand would threaten the service/quality rep they've built-up over the years.