Deleting update.zip files?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Redding, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Redding

Redding New Member

Hello all,
    Very new to the root thing, but quickly getting a better understanding of the whole process. My question is this (sorry if this is stupid).....
    Currently I have rooted my phone. I have also already added a custom rom successfully. I noticed that on almost all ROMS, in order to install it, you save it as update.zip on your computer and then follow the steps to install everything. I've tried out a few ROMS and wiped data before each (after a backup). Question is this....my SD card continues to show ALL of the "update.zip" files from past ROMS......can I erase these things? Does that make sense? When I try a new ROM, I save it as update.zip....my computer tells me that I already have an "udpate.zip" file.....I then rename the old file and keep trucking. I hope this doesn't make me sound completely retarded. Help. Am I just shoveling more crap onto my card for no reason? Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.
  2. billjohnson

billjohnson New Member

I personally keep a backup of most ROMs I flash. However you can delete the update.zip as long as you've made a working nandroid backup. Also what kind of recovery are you using?
  3. Redding

Redding New Member

Bill.....when I backup the ROM, can I move it back over to my computer so that it's not taking up space? If so.....how? :) Also, if I make a nandroid backup, is there a way to rename them on my phone....mainly just so I can keep everything organized <-----My OCD kicking in.
    To answer your question, I am using SPSrecovery. Thanks for your help so far.
  4. PARick

PARick New Member

I keep the most recent ROM on my SD card in case. The others, I have a folder on my computer desktop labeled "Droid" where I keep all ROMs, Themes, and any other files I may need in the future. That way, I can easily go back to a ROM or Theme without using up any SD space.
  5. billjohnson

billjohnson New Member

Here's the exact folder for Clockwork Mod backups if you were using Clockwork and ROM Manager which I would highly recommend. SPRecovery is fairly outdated and lacks a ton of the features. Also very few devs make themes for it any more. However, with SP recovery, the folder will be labeled "nandroid" in the root of your SD card.

H:\clockworkmod\backup - From here you can rename in ROM Manager or simply rename the folder when the SD card is mounted from your PC. And just as PARick suggested, you can copy your ROMs from your ROM folder (that's where I keep all mine on my SD) to a folder on your PC. I personally keep them on my SD but I'm not worried about space. Might get a 32GB over the holidays anyway. Hope that helps G!
Search tags for this page
android update.zip deleted
can i delete a zip file from sd after updating my phone
can i delete update.zip
can i delete update.zip after rooting
can i delete update.zip android

delete update.zip after root

delete update.zip android

file update.zip
how to delete firmeware update.zip
how to uninstall flashed zip
how to uninstall zip android