Deleting unopen emails

gkitchens

Reaction score
Is there a way to delete unopened emails? The only way I can delete emails right now is for me to open them first.

thatguychuck

Reaction score
There is a "grayed out" checkbox next to the emails. Tap that to "check mark" the email. Then tap delete. You can also "check mark" multiple emails to delete more than one at a time.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There is a "grayed out" checkbox next to the emails. Tap that to "check mark" the email. Then tap delete. You can also "check mark" multiple emails to delete more than one at a time.

I only use the check mark if I have more than one email to delete at a time. If you just want to delete ONE unread email, it's just as easy to long-press on it and select delete.

Two options. Both work just as well.:icon_ banana:

SteveAikens

Reaction score

I don't see any "grayed out" checkbox next to my emails. All I see is a grayed out star. I don't know what the star is either. Can you enlighten me on how to find the checkbox you refer to or what the star does please.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

I don't see any "grayed out" checkbox next to my emails. All I see is a grayed out star. I don't know what the star is either. Can you enlighten me on how to find the checkbox you refer to or what the star does please.

Clicking in the star is kind of like making that e-mail a favorite. If you click the stars on a few different e-mails, then press menu, view labels, starred, you'll only see the e-mails that you pressed the star on.

Are you using the Gmail app, or the Email app? Gmail has a white envelope with a piece of paper that has a red M on it, and Email has a white envelope with and orange paper coming out if you're not sure.

The star should be on the RIGHT side, and the CHECK MARK should be on the left.

SteveAikens

Reaction score
Clicking in the star is kind of like making that e-mail a favorite. If you click the stars on a few different e-mails, then press menu, view labels, starred, you'll only see the e-mails that you pressed the star on.

Are you using the Gmail app, or the Email app? Gmail has a white envelope with a piece of paper that has a red M on it, and Email has a white envelope with and orange paper coming out if you're not sure.

The star should be on the RIGHT side, and the CHECK MARK should be on the left.

I'm using the Email app only. The star is on the right and thank you for the explaination. That's kinda what I thought, thought I have no idea why that's necessary. Can't you just leave the email on the phone and have it available?

More important to me is the ability to either block delete or delete some way - email that I don't want to open first to be able to do so. The check box sounds like the way to select and delete unopened email but there's no such checkbox on my Droid.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm using the Email app only. The star is on the right and thank you for the explaination. That's kinda what I thought, thought I have no idea why that's necessary. Can't you just leave the email on the phone and have it available?

More important to me is the ability to either block delete or delete some way - email that I don't want to open first to be able to do so. The check box sounds like the way to select and delete unopened email but there's no such checkbox on my Droid.

No problem!

Yes, you can just leave the e-mail there, but if you keep a LOT of e-mails in your account, and you get one that you know you'll want to read again after a long time, you star it and then go into the starred folder when you want to read it and then you can find it faster.

The "Check Mark" IS on the left in the stock email app. It is a grey box with a darker grey check mark inside it. When you click it, the box turns bright green and the check mark turns white and three buttons appear at the bottom, Mark unread, Add star, Delete. You can select as many as you want, and then delete them.

If you want, you might also look into this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...66-droid-hints-pop3-gmail-forwarding-you.html Those instructions tell you how you can easily setup your gmail account to check your Pop3 email account. If you do that, you can use the gmail app, which everyone agrees is much better than the email app.

SteveAikens

Reaction score

The "Check Mark" IS on the left in the stock email app. It is a grey box with a darker grey check mark inside it. When you click it, the box turns bright green and the check mark turns white and three buttons appear at the bottom, Mark unread, Add star, Delete. You can select as many as you want, and then delete them.

If you want, you might also look into this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...66-droid-hints-pop3-gmail-forwarding-you.html Those instructions tell you how you can easily setup your gmail account to check your Pop3 email account. If you do that, you can use the gmail app, which everyone agrees is much better than the email app.

I'm looking right at the email app - the one with the "M" and there's no checkbox on the left - or anywhere on my phone in that application. Is there something in the setup of that app that I need to "turn on" or what else can I do? I'm pretty desperate to be able to delete email as a block. I work with our legislature and the last thing I need to be doing while sitting in committees is piddle with opening a lot of email to get rid of it - but I need my email running in those committees.

I have my email being forwarded from the control panel on my web site account.

Guess I need to look at the Gmail app.

rbishopp

Reaction score
The provided email on my eris can be batch deleted by pressing menu then delete. Check boxes will appear to the right of each email. select on and you then have the delete option light up next to the cancel option at the bottom of the screen.,
The Gmail has check box on left to mass select/delete and the star on the right.

Hope this helps.

Rich...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm looking right at the email app - the one with the "M" and there's no checkbox on the left - or anywhere on my phone in that application. Is there something in the setup of that app that I need to "turn on" or what else can I do? I'm pretty desperate to be able to delete email as a block. I work with our legislature and the last thing I need to be doing while sitting in committees is piddle with opening a lot of email to get rid of it - but I need my email running in those committees.

First...
Are you using the Gmail app, or the Email app? Gmail has a white envelope with a piece of paper that has a red M on it
You're using the gmail app, not the email app...Second, on my phone, which should be just like yours, BOTH apps are like this...In the inbox, or any other folder/label where I'm looking at a list of email subjects, there is a star on the right, and a check mark on the left...

Like so...

Email:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_95KzJz7FUtU/S2rgYDfgVJI/AAAAAAAAAFc/T40APxLlhdI/s400/DSC02331.JPG

Gmail:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_95KzJz7FUtU/S2rgYDfgVJI/AAAAAAAAAFc/T40APxLlhdI/s400/DSC02331.JPG

So I'm not really sure what else to tell you. There's an e-mail app on the market called k9 that I've seen a lot of people suggest, but I don't know anything about it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

SteveAikens

Reaction score

First...
Are you using the Gmail app, or the Email app? Gmail has a white envelope with a piece of paper that has a red M on it
You're using the gmail app, not the email app...Second, on my phone, which should be just like yours, BOTH apps are like this...In the inbox, or any other folder/label where I'm looking at a list of email subjects, there is a star on the right, and a check mark on the left...

Like so...

Email:

Gmail:

So I'm not really sure what else to tell you. There's an e-mail app on the market called k9 that I've seen a lot of people suggest, but I don't know anything about it.

That's not what I see. Click the link.
http://www.nmpcs.com/images/20100204-_SLA1071 (Large).jpg

SteveAikens

Reaction score