Deleting messages is a problem

prdarden0

Reaction score
I have been trying to delete messages and everytime I try to do it, it doesnt do it, or it doesnt happen fast enough. I can go back to the main screen after selecting to delete messages and then go back into the messages and the phone will not bring up any messages like it freezes the messaging app. Can someone please help me do a mass deletion of all messages? Or does anyone know why my phone freezes or can't delete messages fast?

Patmonster

Reaction score
Ya, im having this same EXACT problem. The only texts I have been able to delete is when it only has 1 text in the thread. but i'm trying to delete a thread that has over 5000 texts and all it does is freeze and ive tried Hard/solf restarts and tried again and nothing works. I've also tried to delete a thread that only has 7 texts total and it does the same.

I have the Droid Eris btw.

Thx for the help =)

Angry_snowman1

Reaction score
tap and hold and choose delete for individual texts and select delete. For a whole thread, go to the thread and hit menu and delete and say yes.. for 5000 posts? maybe wait a while to see if it will delete them or you may need to delete one at at time.. Mine will delete at least 200 no problem.. For a mass delete just go to your main message screen and click menu.. then hit delete and click on the Xs for each thread you want deleted and hit delete..

J

Johnly

tap and hold and choose delete for individual texts and select delete. For a whole thread, go to the thread and hit menu and delete and say yes.. for 5000 posts? maybe wait a while to see if it will delete them or you may need to delete one at at time.. Mine will delete at least 200 no problem.. For a mass delete just go to your main message screen and click menu.. then hit delete and click on the Xs for each thread you want deleted and hit delete..
A man is as good as his understanding of his own tools he he

crazy650

Reaction score
A man is as good as his understanding of his own tools he he

very true and the user is only as good as much as they understand the phone. If it doesn't work one way try different things hard reset is never the answer lol :icon_eek:

Aximtreo

Reaction score
Email multiple deletes

Can one of you tell me how to delete the messages from my email trash bin without having to do them one at a time. I have over 400 deleted messages and really ain't looking forward to doing them one at a time. Thanks for any help you can provide.:)

Angry_snowman1

Reaction score
Just hit menu when you are in the delete screen and choose "select all" and then delete.

jenc414

Reaction score
emptying trash can

Just hit menu when you are in the delete screen and choose "select all" and then delete.

there is no select all when you are in the trash bin trying to empty 500 email mesages. you have to select one at a time AGAIN to empty the trash bin.

Angry_snowman1

Reaction score
Hit menu AGAIN and it WILL say mark all... and then hit delete ... It's works fine here. It takes time to delete 500 messages..

Reaction score
i have the same problem i have a thread with 2000 messages and i am using handsent and cannot delete the thread at all, i try and i have to pop the battery to unfreeze it or usually handcent force closes

Angry_snowman1

Reaction score
i have the same problem i have a thread with 2000 messages and i am using handsent and cannot delete the thread at all, i try and i have to pop the battery to unfreeze it or usually handcent force closes
Are you giving it time to delete the 2000 messages? like 5 minutes? or more? Its not freezing im guessing just doing its job but it takes time to delete that many messages..

Reaction score
yeah i had let it sit for about 15 mins

update : tryed deleting multiple small threads on handcent, about 4 threads with less then 50 in them, and i acutally get a not responding forceclose/wait warning

Last edited:

ShowTime

Reaction score
I don't have Handcent (or an Eris), so I can't speak to it specifically, but I would hazard a guess that the problem is the sheer volume of texts it's trying to delete. Taking a long time to delete so many texts (giving the impression of freezing) might be what's happening, or it may just be too big of a task for the OS to handle and it just freezes. Why would you ever need to store 2000 or 5000 texts per thread anyway? Try setting you limit at 200 or 500 and see if you still have the same problem.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't have Handcent (or an Eris), so I can't speak to it specifically, but I would hazard a guess that the problem is the sheer volume of texts it's trying to delete. Taking a long time to delete so many texts (giving the impression of freezing) might be what's happening, or it may just be too big of a task for the OS to handle and it just freezes. Why would you ever need to store 2000 or 5000 texts per thread anyway? Try setting you limit at 200 or 500 and see if you still have the same problem.

Completely agreed. I had this issue on my t-mobile G1 and learned the hard way. The best way to delete those messaged is one at a time until you get down to maybe 200 or so...I'd have to say that it's a problem for the OS as well. That's quite a bit of data even though it's just text...