Deleting emails from phone deletes them from ISP server

Logic4u

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
When I delete emails from my Turbo, they are deleted from my ISP (ATT Uverse) server. Incoming Settings are set to NEVER under "Delete email from server". Using POP to connect Yahoo mail with Windows Live Mail 2012.I copied the settings exactly as they were set on my Droid Mini (that never gave this problem)

The problem is when I go to my laptop or desktop, since they have been deleted from server, they do not appear in email. I want to be able to delete emails from my phone but not from the server.

Any suggestions....P-L-E-A-S-E.

Last edited:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

The way you explained the problem and your solution, it should work correctly. I would try removing the account and setting it up again, or try a different mail client. It would be nice if they had an IMAP option, them and Comcast are both behind the curve.

OP
L

Logic4u

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Welcome to the forum

The way you explained the problem and your solution, it should work correctly. I would try removing the account and setting it up again, or try a different mail client. It would be nice if they had an IMAP option, them and Comcast are both behind the curve.

I agree it SHOULD work but I spent two hours on the phone with Motorola tech support...escalated to level 2 that did a remote and checked everything and yes, did as you suggested and removed and reinstalled account. Also had ATT Uverse check servers for settings and finally went back to Verizon and exchanged for new Turbo.

My understanding is that IMAP will not give you the option of keeping the emails on the server whereas POP does...except in this case with this phone, it doesn't seem to work.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
That is not necessarily the case with IMAP. The default would be to leave the mail on the server using standard IMAP settings, which is one of the the primary purposes of using IMAP but you normally would also have the option to delete from the server when deleted from the phone. In short it's sorta backwards. I suggest a different mail client for that account

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMAP would delete from server. POP should not. Sounds almost like the client is sending the DELE command to the POP server even though you have that option disabled.

1coopgt

Reaction score
My turbos is doing the same thing . I tried an FDR last weekend that didn't fix it . I'm using 3rd party app Blue mail it's still deleting from the server . I'm hoping when we finally get 5.0 it fixes it .

Although honestly I've kind of gotten use to it . Any emails I want to save I make sure not to delete from my phone until I've downloaded it to my computer .

Also i started a similar post a couple weeks ago and didn't get much help .

OP
L

Logic4u

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
IMAP would delete from server. POP should not. Sounds almost like the client is sending the DELE command to the POP server even though you have that option disabled.
Thanks everyone...I solved the problem by switching from Motoemail to K9. Not only took care of the problem but it's much more versatile. Now I can enjoy my Turbo.

OP
L

Logic4u

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
My turbos is doing the same thing . I tried an FDR last weekend that didn't fix it . I'm using 3rd party app Blue mail it's still deleting from the server . I'm hoping when we finally get 5.0 it fixes it .

Although honestly I've kind of gotten use to it . Any emails I want to save I make sure not to delete from my phone until I've downloaded it to my computer .

Also i started a similar post a couple weeks ago and didn't get much help .
Put in the app K9 and after it's loaded, delete the stock Motomail and the problem will be solved

1coopgt

Reaction score
Put in the app K9 and after it's loaded, delete the stock Motomail and the problem will be solved

Trying it out . Short term seems to be working . We shall see tomorrow .

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
This is not a Droid Turbo specific issue. It's either an email app or android firmware version issue. If you google this problem you'll see there are a lot of other phones having the same problem, myself included.

1coopgt

Reaction score
Yup got to agree . While using K9 it's a non issue problem solved .Thanks for the heads up on K9.