Deleting contacts & emails on phone without getting rid of them on GMAIL

arena231

Reaction score
Anybody know who to prevent this from happening? When I set my phone up it loaded every singe contact from my GMAIL contacts onto my phone. I don't necessarily want all of these clogging up my phone, but when I go to delete them from my phone they also get deleted from my contact list in GMAIL. Also the same with emails. If I delete them on my phone, they get removed from GMAIL inbox.

My old blackberry would give the an option of "delete from phone" or "delete from phone AND gmail".

LordKastle

Reaction score
I am unsure and have a question to pose to you..Is there a way for the opposite to happen? I want my Droid to sync to GMail to check for mail and such but I do not want my contacts to be sync'ed every time I add them on my phone....This is a security matter for me. Any ideas?

OP
A

arena231

Reaction score
I'm not sure lord kastle. I think they will be automatically added because the droid automatically syncs with gmail. With my old blackberry I had to go into the google sync application and manually tell my phone so sync with gmail and could pick what information I wanted to sync up. It seems like the droid would have this option, but I can't find it.

Bartoolz

Reaction score
From your home screen, go to Menu_Accounts & Sync_***@gmail.com (select which account you want to "tweek")_then check which items you want to sync. The options include:

Sync Calendar
Sync Contacts
Sync Gmail

After the initial setup of your device they are all checked by default and will sync regularly. You can uncheck any or all of them to stop the regular "Syncs".

Hope that helps.

cognataslawmen

Reaction score
Anybody know who to prevent this from happening? When I set my phone up it loaded every singe contact from my GMAIL contacts onto my phone. I don't necessarily want all of these clogging up my phone, but when I go to delete them from my phone they also get deleted from my contact list in GMAIL. Also the same with emails. If I delete them on my phone, they get removed from GMAIL inbox.

My old blackberry would give the an option of "delete from phone" or "delete from phone AND gmail".[/Q

I have read the other responses and they aren't what you need.

It is very simple. These smart phones under settings for contacts, allow you to choose what is actually displayed. Ex. Phone contacts; gmail contacts etc...

If you want only a certain amount of displayed contacts, without deleting from gmail, depending upon how many total contacts you have ca be arduous, but here is how you do it.

Go ahead and sync your gmail account including contacts with your phone. This assumes that you want most of your gmail contacts on your phone.

This is actually helpful, because even if you only want a finite list of contacts on your phone, you will still know who's calling based upon the gmail contacts even if not on your phone list.

After you sync the contacts, go into contacts settings and choose phone for how the contacts are to be displayed. All of your contacts will likely be there. THen go into accounts settings and delete the google account. This separates your phone from gmail.

Now, go into contacts and settings and choose delete. Now, select all. Now go thru all of your contacts and de-select only those you want to keep in the phone display list. Once you have your keepers, delete the reset.

Now re-add the google account and allow sync as an option in settings. The phone contacts will constantly sync to your gmail contacts, but your phone list won't change.