Deleting Certain Applications

HarkenSailer

Reaction score
There are certain applications on my phone I notice running (all the time) that I will absolutely never use, thus it takes up battery when I don't want it to be. How do I uninstall apps that came originally on the phone? When I go to manage applications I am given an option to clear the data but there is no way to remove it from my phone. How may I keep it from automatically starting up upon turning on my phone?

Thanks

A

assmunke

Need root I believe if you want to get rid of those, not sure if you can remove them without it

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
can also just hide them - download launcher pro

harrellj

Reaction score
One thing, these apps that you see running... are they actually running or did the system start 'em up in case you'll use them and never actually call them afterwards (thus, not actually using your memory/battery/cpu)? There's also the fact that some "useless" apps for you might be essential for the running of the phone. And how are you determining that they're running as well?

droiddev76

Reaction score
Yeah,some of these apps don't want to be uninstalled, or cant even be "force stop"ed.
Also irritating, is the listed permissions on some of these apps include read/write contact data, owner data, directly call numbers, send SMS messages, modify/delete SD contents, etc.......
that's just for the stupid "News version 2.2" app.
Half the news is lame celebrity BS. Why does it need access to all those things?

-dd

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! Also, I'd say go into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Running to see if they're actually doing anything or just open..as mentioned above.

can also just hide them - download launcher pro

DroidForums junkie!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
To actually uninstall them, you are right, root is required.

Need root I believe if you want to get rid of those, not sure if you can remove them without it

DroidForums junkie!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are certain applications on my phone I notice running (all the time) that I will absolutely never use, thus it takes up battery when I don't want it to be.
Not again... Please read up on how Android actually multitasks. There's not much dead horse left to beat. Idle apps in the background do not use battery.

Why does it need access to all those things?
There are also guides on the various permissions. Don't assume that you know why an app needs a specific permission simply based on the name of the permission. It's not always that straightforward.

Last edited: