OP
nemisis9

nemisis9

Reaction score
Is rooting my phone a wise choice or just deal with it..if so is it hard to do

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

GDP

Reaction score
Rooting is a good idea if you know what you're doing and don't mind voiding your warranty

Sent from my Droid

GDP

Reaction score
Its not that hard to do

Sent from my Droid

OP
nemisis9

nemisis9

Reaction score
So it doesn't void the warranty...do you know of a good site to use to show me or is youtube the only option..thanks

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you root I strongly suggest that you simply rename the offending apps by changing apk to something like bak. That way you haven't done anything that can't be undone.

Also, be very careful to assure you know exactly what can and cannot be eliminated.

Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you root I strongly suggest that you simply rename the offending apps by changing apk to something like bak. That way you haven't done anything that can't be undone.

Also, be very careful to assure you know exactly what can and cannot be eliminated.

Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Indeed. Measure twice, cut once.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh and as for rooting, yes it voids your warranty. However it can be undone. You can check the droid 2 hacking class in my signature for a very in depth tutorial from one of our brightest members pc747 or if you want to go the easy route you can download z4root here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Its a one click root app. If you go that route though make sure you thoroughly educate yourself before doing anything else.

GDP

Reaction score
There's several posts on this forum with step by step directions on how to root your phone. I just wouldn't recommend it unless you absolutely know what you're doing.

Sent from my Droid

pool_shark

Reaction score
I still don't understand why the preinstalled apps bother people so much. They aren't taking up much space and they really aren't in the way.

The exception being the apps that start automatically like cityID, amazon, etc. Those are the apps I moved when I rooted. The others I left alone.

AverageJoe

Reaction score
What bothers me about preinstalled apps is that when you use, say handcent for texting, you get 2 notifications. One for handcent and one for the stock messaging app.

Also, I hate the stock dialer. I use dialer one, but most of the time when I end a call it defaults back to the stock dialer.

pool_shark

Reaction score
What bothers me about preinstalled apps is that when you use, say handcent for texting, you get 2 notifications. One for handcent and one for the stock messaging app.

Also, I hate the stock dialer. I use dialer one, but most of the time when I end a call it defaults back to the stock dialer.

If you're using an alternate sms app, you just disable the notifications for the stock sms app.

EDIT: Others have said that removing the stock sms app removes the ability to send MMS.

Last edited:

mewshi

Reaction score
I wouldn't call the stock messaging app preinstalled... that's a lot like complaining about notepad coming with every copy of windows...