Deleted many system apps

kookk

Reaction score
I deleted many system apps not knowing any better. I have a system dump but im not sure exactly which apps I deleted. I tried comparing the dump apk files to the ones titanium backup listed but there's many more missing than I deleted...I only deleted a few things but not that many.....is there anyway I can find out which ones im missing? Im kind of worried im screwed out of gingerbread.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Zetsumei

Reaction score
What would impulse you to delete all the files when almost every post here says freeze them instead? I could understand deleting the NFS and lets golf demo, but system files man ouch... I hope you didn't screw yourself out of functionality as well. I don't think there is a sbf file atm, so you're pretty much SOL. If your phone is fubared I hope you don't go to the store trying to pawn it off as a manufacterer's defect, people returning phones due to their own blunders = strict exchange policy now. Hopefully a sbf will come out soon. Best of luck.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I deleted many system apps not knowing any better. I have a system dump but im not sure exactly which apps I deleted. I tried comparing the dump apk files to the ones titanium backup listed but there's many more missing than I deleted...I only deleted a few things but not that many.....is there anyway I can find out which ones im missing? Im kind of worried im screwed out of gingerbread.

Wow man. Wow... anyways, I'm surprised your Android is running this well without a good majority of your system apps. The best way to get them back is just nandroid restore or find a ROM with the same system apps and pull the .apk's from it, or flash the same ROM again without wiping to try and restore them.

Note: Do a nandroid backup before doing any of this.

Once your in the custom ROM realm, unless you titanium backed up all your system apps, there's not a whole lot you can do to find out what's missing... it's a manual thing now and up to you.

Learning is fun

Zetsumei

Reaction score

Wow man. Wow... anyways, I'm surprised your Android is running this well without a good majority of your system apps. The best way to get them back is just nandroid restore or find a ROM with the same system apps and pull the .apk's from it, or flash the same ROM again without wiping to try and restore them.

Once your in the custom ROM realm, unless you titanium backed up all your system apps, there's not a whole lot you can do to find out what's missing... it's a manual thing now and up to you.

Learning is fun

I don't think there are any custom ROM's yet alone CM for the x2 yet. All he can really hope to do at this point maybe is factory reset. Otherwise he'll just have to wait until a sbf file is available.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to

Learning is fun

I don't think there are any custom ROM's yet alone CM for the x2 yet. All he can really hope to do at this point maybe is factory reset. Otherwise he'll just have to wait until a sbf file is available.

Yea that's all I got, deleting system apps on a locked bootloader phone is a major no no... personally I blame Motorola.

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
Maybe I phrased that wrong. By system apps I meant bloatware, sorry. I didn't delete anything that I thought was crucial to the phone.

Things like blockbuster and amazon mp3. Unless I was 100% sure it wouldn't screw up the phone I didn't touch it.

The thing is, in the system dump there are apk files that don't show up in my titanium backup. I don't remember deleting anything called atcmd, audioeffectsettings, or battery report but I don't have them in titanium backup. Am I missing something?

Is there a list of every bloatware app that came reinstalled so I can just compare it with what I have now?

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Maybe I phrased that wrong. By system apps I meant bloatware, sorry. I didn't delete anything that I thought was crucial to the phone.

Things like blockbuster and amazon mp3. Unless I was 100% sure it wouldn't screw up the phone I didn't touch it.

The thing is, in the system dump there are apk files that don't show up in my titanium backup. I don't remember deleting anything called atcmd, audioeffectsettings, or battery report but I don't have them in titanium backup. Am I missing something?

Is there a list of every bloatware app that came reinstalled so I can just compare it with what I have now?

Jeezus man, I was seriously surprised your Droid was functioning at all for a second there lol... link below.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/75421-list-stock-apps-bloatware.html

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
Ok sweet thank you. Any theory as to why I don't see certain things in titanium?

So I just reinstall the ones I deleted and im good to go correct?

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Ok sweet thank you. Any theory as to why I don't see certain things in titanium?

So I just reinstall the ones I deleted and im good to go correct?

It's possible you only selected to backup user apps only and not user+system apps (regarding titanium backup)... that's my guess.

I'm not sure what you want to reinstall so it's up to you.

FYI: That link is for the Droid X 1; since I can't find a post about DX2 Bloatware.. might want a second link to verify.

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
I found most of the preinstalled apps. I'll have to get a hold of a DX2 list.

The phone still works fine so I'm confident I didn't delete anything important, I'm just concerned that if the DX2 never gets roms due to being locked down, I will miss out on gingerbread.

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
Everything installed fine. I just wish I had a way of making sure everything is fine for when gb gets here

Last edited:
OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
So I'm trying to move the files to the system/app with root explorer. It tells me I can't because the "file system is read only"

What do I have to change the permissions on the files to paste them in their new spot?

Also, do I need to repeat this process for both the .apk and .odex files, or just the .apk?

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
There's a little buton in the top right when in a folder. Click it to enable read write access.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
Everything moved over fine and installed except for help center.

It's the only one that got deleted that has an odex file, even after I moved both the .apk and .odex into system/app it wont install, why?

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
After a few hours help center appeared in my app tray and titanium backup is now recognizing it so I think everything is back to stock.

Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.