Delete or rename?

1android

Reaction score
Using Root explorer to stop that bloatware. Do I want to simply rename them or can I staight up delete them? If I need to rename them, why would I not want to delete?

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Renaming allows you to go back to stock if you need to, or if you mess something up, it makes it easier to go back. But if you have a nandroid backup, you don't really need to worry.

Sent from the hand of zeus!

OP
1android

1android

Reaction score
So what about the apps such as VZW Gold, slacker radio, blockbuster, city ID....etc can I delete those? I have NO use for any of those.

OP
1android

1android

Reaction score
no I saw that. my main reason for my post was to figure out if the apps such as blockbuster and VZN Golf could be simply deleted instead of renamed. no worries, I just renamed them all and noticed that it did what I needed. This way if for whatever reason, I can go back and open them again.

thelopenator

Reaction score
yeah man just rename them. its the same stuff as long as u have the extra memory on your phone which you should cause it comes with 40 gigs.

AthDruid

Reaction score
I have Explorer, but i can't rename the kindle or blockbuster .apk i haven't tried any of the others, but i get the "cannot be renamed because the file system is read only"

do i need to buy the Root Explorer app? or are there other free apps that are able to do this?

jeffly777

Reaction score
I have Explorer, but i can't rename the kindle or blockbuster .apk i haven't tried any of the others, but i get the "cannot be renamed because the file system is read only"

do i need to buy the Root Explorer app? or are there other free apps that are able to do this?

Yes, you need root access and something that can remount the system folder as read/write. If you're rooted you can use adb, but root explorer is WAY easier. They can't be renamed or removed if you're not rooted.

Honestly, that's why I rooted this phone in the first place. Man, try and party by the rules and verizon screws you with bloatware.

Thunderstruck

AthDruid

Reaction score
I have root access. I've installed the SU app, ROM Manager, and Titanium Backup.

I didn't download RE, i was hoping there was a free app that would do the same thing. but if not, 5 bucks isn't a big price to pay.

jeffly777

Reaction score
I have root access. I've installed the SU app, ROM Manager, and Titanium Backup.

I didn't download RE, i was hoping there was a free app that would do the same thing. but if not, 5 bucks isn't a big price to pay.

It's not, and root explorer is well worth it. Just navigate to the system/app/ folder, hit "mount r/w" in the corner, and go.

Thunderstruck

jeffly777

Reaction score

Also, titanium will freeze or delete them if you want to try that before buying root explorer.

Thunderstruck

alboboy10

Reaction score
Using Root explorer to stop that bloatware. Do I want to simply rename them or can I staight up delete them? If I need to rename them, why would I not want to delete?

Wouldn't freezing them have the same effect. If u delete them I read that it might cause problems when updating in the future.
I'm thinking about freezing them through titanium. Or just installing a rom that removes the bloat

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums