default save music to sd card?

rockstarbass1

Reaction score
Hello, im new to this forum, but have read stuff on it for a while now from my first droid and then my droid2 and now I have a droid3. I have mixed feelings about this phone but I think I like it better then the 2 and for sure better then my original DROID. The issue that im having right now and its not really an issue more just bothering me. I always would down load music on my phone (don't think the app name is important) and it would save to my sd card in the "music" folder. And if I would make ring tones they would also save to the sd card. I put my sd card from my DROID 2 in the 3 and it works. But any new music saves to the phone not the sd card. Iv gone to the save path where it supposed to save to and changed it from /music/ to /sdcard/ but all that does is make a new folder on the phone called sd card and saves it there. How do I change this? Also I used to have handcent on my other phones (iwouldnt use it 99% of the time for messaging just sending ringtones and stuff was easier on there) if I search for it in the market now only handcent arabic and chinises come up. Why is that? It says there over 1200 results but only shows those 2? Thanks chris

REMilk

Reaction score
Your identification of this problem is not unique.

The problem seems to be that when there are 2 'storage' areas on Android smartphones, the developers have not yet made the necessary coding changes to reference both areas.

The "SD-Card" default addressability varies by device. For example,
a) On the OG Droid, the default addressability of "SD-Card" is the optional micro-SD card installed on the phone.
b) On the Droid 3, the default addressability of of "SD-Card" is the 'media area' on the factory installed memory. This can be seen by using some file mangers (such as OI File Manager) as the name is 'sdcard'. The name of the the optional user-installed additional memory (micro-SD card) is 'sdcard-ext'.

This will continue to be a problem until all developers include the ability to choose between the internal memory area ('media area'/sdcard) or the additional user-installed memory area (sdcard-ext). Until this is done, I manually move pictures, videos, and music from the 'internal memory' ('media area'/sdcard) to my user-installed micro-SD card (sdcard-ext).

I hope I have made a clear explanation.

Bob

bodieism

Reaction score
Your identification of this problem is not unique.

The problem seems to be that when there are 2 'storage' areas on Android smartphones, the developers have not yet made the necessary coding changes to reference both areas.

The "SD-Card" default addressability varies by device. For example,
a) On the OG Droid, the default addressability of "SD-Card" is the optional micro-SD card installed on the phone.
b) On the Droid 3, the default addressability of of "SD-Card" is the 'media area' on the factory installed memory. This can be seen by using some file mangers (such as OI File Manager) as the name is 'sdcard'. The name of the the optional user-installed additional memory (micro-SD card) is 'sdcard-ext'.

This will continue to be a problem until all developers include the ability to choose between the internal memory area ('media area'/sdcard) or the additional user-installed memory area (sdcard-ext). Until this is done, I manually move pictures, videos, and music from the 'internal memory' ('media area'/sdcard) to my user-installed micro-SD card (sdcard-ext).

I hope I have made a clear explanation.

Bob

Very clear. Looks like the Droid RAZR has the same problem. I thought I had screwed something up when I rooted it, but after reading your post I'm feeling better. When I would go to make a backup of tasker it would say "saved to sd card" when it was actually saving on the phones internal memory. When using root explorer I noticed the sdcard and sdcard-ext locations also. Looks like my titanium backup files and all of my other app files are being saved in the sdcard location. Guess I'll have to manually move files to sdcard-ext as well :(