Default music player starts when headphones inserted

mmh

Reaction score
My Droid Pro has all of a sudden started turning on the music player when a set of mic'd headphones are inserted. If I plug in the headphones during a call it will end the call and start playing music. This is extremely annoying! I have tried several different set of mic'd headphones and they all do it. I've had this phone almost a year and it started doing this out of the blue. I have made no recent setting changes or installed any new apps. It will not do it with regular headphones. Any ideas?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Go into the music program's settings and there will be an option to turn that off. If you upgraded the app recently, it often sets this feature as the default setting.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

OP
M

mmh

Reaction score
That was my first thought....the app has no setting choice for headphones. This is the preloaded music app. If I install a different app the headphone will start it instead. The preloaded app has no uninstall option in the applications manger either.

fireman00

Reaction score
I had a similar problem, mowing the grass and I'd jostle the head send and instead of Pandora or FM I'm listening to the OEM Music player.

I installed the "Block Headset" widget at the recommendation of fellow formites and haven't had a problem since.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That was my first thought....the app has no setting choice for headphones. This is the preloaded music app. If I install a different app the headphone will start it instead. The preloaded app has no uninstall option in the applications manger either.

If you have another music player app installed, that is most likely where you will have to change the setting. My stock music app also does not have a setting to automatically start music when plugging in my headset or headphones, but the others do so i have to go through and disable that option in the app's settings. This may also include apps such as Pandora or any that play music.

I don't think your phone can decipher whether you are plugging in a mic'd headset or stereo non-mic'd headset, so if an app is set to start playing music when you plug in, then it will start no matter what kind of headset you plug into your Jack... but i could be wrong... maybe these phones are smart enough to know what kind of headset you're plugging in.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

OP
M

mmh

Reaction score
Ok..installed Headset Blocker and it stopped the auto start of the music player. Coincidently the mic on the headset stopped working. Uninstalled Headset Blocker and now the music player starts up again AND the mic no longer works on any of my headsets. I use a headset to talk a lot! Help!

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

robble

Reaction score
THANK GOD I FOUND THIS THREAD.

I often play pandora through speakers using the headphone jack and that gawddarned music player starting up over and over and over was making want to smash my phone. This problem has been around for well over a year. Why hasn't google fixed it yet?

fritzboyle

Reaction score
I had these same problems of the music app opening when I was trying to listen to Pandora or Spotify with my headphones in. This started happening in the last week (never happened before). I thought it had something to do with my new headphones or something. Then I saw this and other threads, so I knew it wasn't the case.

I ended up freezing music (TBU) and that has done the trick. This is really not a great user experience. I use my phone well over 80% of the time to listen to music on the go. Luckily, I don't really need the music app, but sometimes I play back my voicemails (via google #) using it, so this is a bit of an inconvenience.

I hope Google or the android community are able to identify what is causing this problem so I dont need to fix it with a hammer like this forever.

elmvly

Reaction score
Try autostarts app in the market.Check the actions that can trigger music player and disable it.
Hope it can help.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

Theot

Reaction score
I have this problem with a new phone I just got as a warranty replacement. Did some searching and someone on another forum uses an app called "headset blocker" in the market, er play store (hate that name). Anyway, downloaded it tonight and so far so good, seems to keep the music player from starting on its own.

Goonturion

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a sony, found the solution in "LiveWare manager". You can set your phones Behavior for whenever Headphones, headset or charger are inserted. The liveware manager was hidden beside Connectivity and internet settings for some reason. Have a good deep look through the settings.

amishjeff

Reaction score
My Droid Pro has all of a sudden started turning on the music player when a set of mic'd headphones are inserted. If I plug in the headphones during a call it will end the call and start playing music. This is extremely annoying! I have tried several different set of mic'd headphones and they all do it. I've had this phone almost a year and it started doing this out of the blue. I have made no recent setting changes or installed any new apps. It will not do it with regular headphones. Any ideas?

Go to your apps and then to "smart actions". Disconnect action pod to stop this from happening. Hope this helps

Wrojr

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lg
In settings -> general -> smart settings, there's a place to indicate what happens when headphone is connected.