Decisions, decisions....

pattikate

Reaction score
I'm directing this to all you satisfied Droid X owners. I hope you can give me some much needed input. Here's my situation: I'm eligible for an upgrade and desperately want to ditch my crappy (old) feature phone. For my first ever smartphone, I'm having one heck of a time deciding.

After hearing all the glitches and with the newly released HTC Thunderbolt (poor battery life on 4G, yet bad signal strength while on 3G) I've ruled that phone out. My dilemma is as follows:

Should I get the Droid X (which is established and well known by now) even though it is a 3G phone, or wait until who knows when for the Bionic 4G? My mind tells me to use my upgrade for the DX, rather than wait for a new 4G phone and risk the chance of a tiered and higher priced data plan.

Even though the Droid X is a 3G, it's still a great device with fast enough data speed for an average internet user (browsing, emails, etc.) and should be adequate for a first time smartphone owner like myself, right? And if I choose the Droid X, and it soon reaches its EOL, I'd still get support from Verizon, right?

Thanks for your suggestions and input!!!

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've been trying to help my brother with this same dilemma.
I told him to get the X because he wouldn't use the features of the Thunderbolt and it was getting poor reviews on battery life.
He didn't listen, bought the Thunderbolt and they couldn't even activate it.

Now he wants to wait for the Bionic, still won't use the features, and you can get the DX for a penny.

I just bought the X about 2 weeks ago, paid retail and couldn't be happier.

Beka27

Reaction score
Would you be open to purchasing one used online and saving your upgrade for the Bionic or another phone coming in the next 6 months? This way you will have something new (to you) but can take time to make an informed decision.

zodder

Reaction score
Unless something totally blows me out of the water in the next 6 months, I'm keeping my X until it drops dead :)

cece5702

Reaction score
You are in the same boat I am in. I'm ready for my last early upgrade next month and trying to decide on the Iphone4 or the X. After reading much reviews, I'm going with the X.
I'm directing this to all you satisfied Droid X owners. I hope you can give me some much needed input. Here's my situation: I'm eligible for an upgrade and desperately want to ditch my crappy (old) feature phone. For my first ever smartphone, I'm having one heck of a time deciding.

After hearing all the glitches and with the newly released HTC Thunderbolt (poor battery life on 4G, yet bad signal strength while on 3G) I've ruled that phone out. My dilemma is as follows:

Should I get the Droid X (which is established and well known by now) even though it is a 3G phone, or wait until who knows when for the Bionic 4G? My mind tells me to use my upgrade for the DX, rather than wait for a new 4G phone and risk the chance of a tiered and higher priced data plan.

Even though the Droid X is a 3G, it's still a great device with fast enough data speed for an average internet user (browsing, emails, etc.) and should be adequate for a first time smartphone owner like myself, right? And if I choose the Droid X, and it soon reaches its EOL, I'd still get support from Verizon, right?

Thanks for your suggestions and input!!!

timelord

Reaction score
I think you should think twice before buying a droid x. In today's world a phone gets old in less than a year. This month's hot phone in a few months will be overshadowed by something else. Forget about the iphone4 thats even more outdated than the X.

Perhaps getting the droid x on a 1 year plan? then just wait and see what new phones are available next year at this time. Who knows what great super phone will be out. :icon_eek:

qman66

Reaction score
No I wouldn't recommend u buying the x at this point. And eol means u won't be getting much support as in updates and since this phone is locked down once motorola decides its on its eol u won't see upgrades anymore. I don't see the x getting an update past gingerbread.

jmorton10

Reaction score
I have had my X since the day they came out & I honestly don't care if there ever is another update for it.

I installed the leaked 2.2 update the day it became available & running that with LauncherPro+, Handcent, Poweramp, SlingMobile, Sirius radio, Jorte calendar, weather & toggle widjets etc etc etc I am 100% happy with this phone (this is my first phone I have ever been able to say that about).

My phone is 100% stable, fast as hell & runs for weeks at a time without rebooting. I don't remember it ever freezing up once & I use the hell out of it.

I certainly wouldn't waste the money on a t-bolt as other than 4G it is basically the same phone as the X (except with MUCH poorer battery life)

~John

timelord

Reaction score
Hey I'm perfectly happy with the X as well. My upgrade isn't due until 04/12 and I'm in no hurry to ditch my droid X. There will always be some phone out or on the horizon that's has better specs. Who knows what will be available by April of 2012, but I'll see when I get there.

Jordan8

Reaction score
If you're going to buy an x, I'd get it off of ebay. May cost you another <$50ish, but youll be able to upgrade again whenever you please(if something comes out & catches your attention).

With that said, I think youll love the x. Its a great phone, & an unbelievable phone coming from a feature phone :p

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

en28so

Reaction score
Like the others said, just buy your Droid X from a trusted seller with a clean esn, keep it for about a year, then get something else. I got my X in December and couldn't be happier. Ebay is the way to go. Cheers.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Like the others said, just buy your Droid X from a trusted seller with a clean esn, keep it for about a year, then get something else. I got my X in December and couldn't be happier. Ebay is the way to go. Cheers.

*Ebay is the trick! I just got my used X in January and still have my upgrade in August! Best of both worlds!

OP
P

pattikate

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the solid advice. One more question: If I do buy the X off eBay (to save my update for later) and was covered by the manufacture warranty, if something went wrong with the device would I have to go through Motorola, rather than bring it in to Verizon? Or would it be best to buy the X through Verizon under a one year contract...hmmm...